Martin

Martin

Scokyl's Scoundrels
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Do you play big stack tournaments differently to normal tournaments, you really should, here in this video Collin Moshman gives us his top tips for playing big stacked tournaments, have you ever thought about these strategies and used any of the tips outlined in this video?

ammje

ammje

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Good video, very useful tips to play with big stack, I hope more videos like this in the future, I think they are very good.

C

chronical

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
TY for the video! will be hones t love the more than reading... yeah, i know =(
And extra TY for the fact the it's Moshman, it's great to see that proes are getting together with CC, always great to hear an oppinion of some1 whoi is great at the game and showing it in the software. TU
Tips #3.... do. not. use.this.enough =(

Bozovicdj

Bozovicdj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Since everyone is being honest, I didn't like the video :)

First of all, tips 5 and 4 say that we should Increase bet sizing and play more hands, but then tip 1 says preserve your stack and stay smart.

Personally, If I see a big stack opening 50% of hands with 4x bets pre-flop (based on tips 5 and 4) I would so often punish that with re-raise shoving with almost any A, and almost any pocket pair, as I believe it would be far ahead of 50% opening range made by a big stack. That means, such play style is exploitative and therefore not consistent with tip 1 - preserving stack and playing smart!

At the same time, I do agree that big stacks should be more aggressive, especially near the bubble but then comes the video that is definitely not a show of playing aggressive with big stacks.

When everyone folds to SB who is the biggest stack, raise is mandatory! Never ever should SB limp here, while sometimes might fold depending on the opponent! And here SB actually should increase the bet size to about 4x, as 56s has good playability post flop, and we don't really want BB to call where we have to play OOP post flop.

If this video didn't have shown cards (56s) I would still guess it was a pure stone cold bluff on the turn and river. Just the way hand was played. If I am the BB player, I am crushing this big stack from the SB, knowing how the hand was played, mainly cause of that limp pre-flop which is the key here.

All in all, the video is not really a good example for big stack power play, and couple of tips are not in line with each other :)

This is only my honest opinion, no hard feelings I hope :)

acidburnfx

acidburnfx

Senior apprentice
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
With more chips the players usually get looser, they increase and play more hands, that is, put more pressure without anything. Therefore, we should always observe how each one is reacting to play our game with tranquility.

Inequitas

Inequitas

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Moshman Is great... Awesome tips which it seems I've not really put to good use yet but I have noticed when I'm ahead that I can use the big stack as a weapon, I don't like doing it which is my biggest fault but Having said that I should put these tips to better use in the up and coming Games I'm now playing in the league...

bruno13xs

bruno13xs

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Yes swivels set of different batteries, a good strategy video helped me a lot because I always play a different tournament from the other depending on the value of the tournament

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I liked the video and agree with it. I just dont understand why we should raise more so early on. When I played the wsop this year and was 400BB deep early on like everyone else I admit I was surprised by some of the early on raises at my table. 5-6X was the amount raised at time and one guy was 11x in the 1st level and still people called. While I can see the value in calling with speculative hands early on, but to a 11X raise with some of the hands that went to showdown that still shock the hell out of me.

C

cheeeer

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I didn't get tip 5 and 1 either. Increase raises, preserve stack. Actually I don't get the sense to raise more. It reduces all sense to play deep stacks. What do you want? To play like middle stack, turbo? All others you can apply to any other tourney.

Personally I don't find any differences between deep stack and middle stack tourney. Except you can play middle hands more often, more comfy to wait good hand. And to raise sometimes a little higher. Sometimes!!

Last edited:
Andrew Popov

Andrew Popov

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Playing with large (and Very Large) stacks allows the player to watch the maximum number of flops with any two cards. And moreover, to look at further streets, if there are at least some coincidences. You can collect your successful hands from almost nothing, spend a lot of it (for a regular stack) of BB, but it will pay off by winning very large banks.

Luvart

Luvart

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Good video.

Some points are solid, but there are some tips too that I don't understand so well. Point 5 is one of them.

I would say that big stack tourneys and players with big stacks are a bit more aggressive trying to push shortstackers out.

P

popstani

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

First of all, tips 5 and 4 say that we should Increase bet sizing and play more hands, but then tip 1 says preserve your stack and stay smart.

Personally, If I see a big stack opening 50% of hands with 4x bets pre-flop (based on tips 5 and 4) I would so often punish that with re-raise shoving with almost any A, and almost any pocket pair, as I believe it would be far ahead of 50% opening range made by a big stack. That means, such play style is exploitative and therefore not consistent with tip 1 - preserving stack and playing smart!

At the same time, I do agree that big stacks should be more aggressive, especially near the bubble but then comes the video that is definitely not a show of playing aggressive with big stacks.

When everyone folds to SB who is the biggest stack, raise is mandatory! Never ever should SB limp here, while sometimes might fold depending on the opponent! And here SB actually should increase the bet size to about 4x, as 56s has good playability post flop, and we don't really want BB to call where we have to play OOP post flop.

If this video didn't have shown cards (56s) I would still guess it was a pure stone cold bluff on the turn and river. Just the way hand was played. If I am the BB player, I am crushing this big stack from the SB, knowing how the hand was played, mainly cause of that limp pre-flop which is the key here.

All in all, the video is not really a good example for big stack power play, and couple of tips are not in line with each other :)

Absolutely agree with you, and I really like to play against this kind of big stack players, because most of the time they help me to go on the final table

Bev

Bev

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Great tips , and yes it is understandable that as in 1. you need to preserve your stack and then in 4 and 5 to play more hands .
It is how you play those hands ... one can't be calling/betting on a hand that really isn't the best or gets worse as more cards hit the table !
I find myself folding a lot after the flop .... because regardless of how big your stack is and if you have a monster hand and crap flops out , then unless you have crap - then those big cards are not going to win .

shanest

shanest

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
IE
Chips
Very insightful video from Colin.
When you have the big stack you should absolutely open up your range especially on bubble or ladder spots the big stack should always be playing the most hands in these scenarios.

T

TpaEnforcement

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I usually get play very loose once I have chips. Funny how you turn one way to another. Most of the time big stacks play a lot more, catch a lot more then others I find. Need to have some luck there to and out draw other players it is nice to be in a position like that. but when small stack tough to climb out at times.

Paya_31

Paya_31

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Very good explanation in the video, I will try to apply these tips in my game. just add if they can put example of what is explained, and I saw that several players have some doubts about the video. welcomes this explanation that was done and waiting for more tutorials like this. Greetings.

DizzyDeb717

DizzyDeb717

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Big stack shouldn't turn ya into big stupid imho. It's one thing to loosen up and get a little more aggressive here and there, but when you start shoving and bluffing every hand, it won't take long before someone gets your number and your big stack is no more. I love those people. Most of the time :p

redboy23

redboy23

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This video made me smile. Especially after the ordeal that I have been through in the summer league. One thing is certain, poker is much more fun when you are a big stack.

One big take away for me in this strategy post is the idea of effective stack. It finally clicked for me. I will definitely pay more attention. There are times when I am in a hand and realize that I am playing against a fellow big stack when it is too late. Great tip there!

I can see much merit to the points shared here and do try to practice them.
- increase your range sizing
- play more hands
- attack the bubble
- know the effective stack
- preserve your stack and play smart

The agonizing side is knowing when the big stack is using those plays and making the hero call. This is the part of the game that I have to get a nose for. I have had some success in that area, but not enough.

I grudgingly fold to big stacks way too often and often get livid when they are in all my pots forcing me to fold my good hole cards because too much of my stack has to be used to see the flop. Essentially, putting the question each time; Do you want to risk your tournament on this hand, Sir? :)

One thing is certain..

When I am a big stack, I intend to have some revenge!

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I grudgingly fold to big stacks way too often

Folding is often the correct play due to ICM considerations.

Maybe try re-shoving on them while still sitting on a stack with decent fold equity (< I'm not suggesting you don't employ this strategy often enough.... just thought I'd mention it after reading your post).
gl gl

redboy23

redboy23

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Folding is often the correct play due to ICM considerations.

Maybe try re-shoving on them while still sitting on a stack with decent fold equity (< I'm not suggesting you don't employ this strategy often enough.... just thought I'd mention it after reading your post).
gl gl

The check shove and re-steal are two areas I am looking at closely. Good point and thank you for the link.

Very nice read and thoughtful gesture!

Makes CC Forum a great place to talk and learn. Keep it up :)

Nikolay Nakhaev

Nikolay Nakhaev

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the ability to play well with a large stack suggests that you have already come out of the sandbox of poker and play a serious game where experience and skill of the game with a wide range

Edison A

Edison A

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Excellent video, many times the bigstack we also make mistakes, we must be very careful at the final table when we are bigstack, some think you have to attack the shortstack but many times it is a mistake, only attack when you have a good hand

Last edited:
PsychoVas

PsychoVas

What The Duck???
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
For nits like me, big stacks do represent the danger of getting way too loose and play way too many hands in the beginning of the tourney, thus spewing chips which would be crucial in the later stages. Appart from that, if you do not change your TAG strategy and attack players who make the particular mistake, you can build a considerable stack in the beginning, making your life a lot easier for the middle stages of the tourney.

Rosxana13

Rosxana13

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

I totally agree with you did not like the video that much ''preserve your stack and stay smart'' is not a very clear is just like a statement in my opinion is like my advice to you for a poker game ''be smart and play good'' and you will do well ... maybe my type of game or facing this situations is just different ... is also just my opinion the advices and the effort are really appreciated ! :D

Igorek1313

Igorek1313

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
here how to look .. if you play carefully you can get 99% in prizes. from experience I will say better "bird in the hands than a crane in the sky":icon_prof