Players Sitting Out

619Leafs

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have noticed in the micro buy-in MTT and Freeroll, you will see many players who will just start to sit-out after making a fairly large stack early in the tournament. This is very common to see 1-2 players sitting out at the table with big stacks.

What would be the purpose of this strategy? Do they not want to make risks and try to make the min-cash only? I have seen this in tournaments where the min-cash is only a penny or two, so it just seems a bit strange to me.

Does anyone else notice this or do any of you do this?

My guess is that those players sit out with a big stack until they get to the money and then they may start playing again.

KristaK

KristaK

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have noticed in the micro buy-in MTT and Freeroll, you will see many players who will just start to sit-out after making a fairly large stack early in the tournament. This is very common to see 1-2 players sitting out at the table with big stacks.

What would be the purpose of this strategy? Do they not want to make risks and try to make the min-cash only? I have seen this in tournaments where the min-cash is only a penny or two, so it just seems a bit strange to me.

yes i see this all the time
what really bugs me is when these sit out people get to final table and win monies, don't play hands just sit out!!!!
serious i had this in a tournament
we went to final table and a sit-out was there
everyone was demolishing each other
i came 3rd and the sit-out came second!!!!
how that possible????

jre1106

jre1106

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sometimes they're just faking it. They know people are going to raise in order to take the free chips then they click (deal me in) and come over the top when they have a good hand. Everything is not always as it seems.
I see this a lot. I still have to go for the blind steal and not give them free chips.

badboydean00

badboydean00

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

i sometimes sit out at the beginning of a tourney just to get rid of the idiots who go all in regardless of what cards they hold :icon_king

ghOst

ghOst

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

I see this frequently unfortunately.

Matt_Burns88

Matt_Burns88

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Especially in freerolls, where the money is quite easy to make, an early double and sit-out can virtually guarantee a cash. Some people see that as a victory and are happy to increase their bankroll by $0.04...

barbados

barbados

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
There is a saying: a miser pays twice. You've seen misers, that's all. :boxing:

foran

foran

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
sure they have to go and try to bend and now

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Some players just want to say they cash and dont realize that the real money is when they win. Its not the smartest way to play for sure but while they are sitting out you can steal there blind. LOL

German629

German629

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think here several causes: new players often starting with freerolls, and this is normal situation, when they want to feel a game... But when the players every time don't hit in the prize zone, they understand that better to be in sit out with a good stack, to in further fight
for more hi places, and earn initial bankroll, if the players want up with zero without bringing deposits. And in the further they following the same strategy, playing in the tournaments with micro buy-ins, and etc...:rolleyes:

Igor Popadyk

Igor Popadyk

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
any methods are good if it makes a profit, the pros will not do that

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think, its mostly because, they dont have time to finish it. Recently I was in a 1,5$ rebuy+addon, and shortly before the addon someone with a huge stack announced in the chat, he had to go, so from now on he would be all in every hand.

Its not the smartest thing in the world to enter a tournament, if you dont have time to finish it of course. But for people, who have a life outside poker, unexpected things might happen, that takes precedence over protecting a few dollars of expected EV in a tournament.

And for some they are really just playing for fun, and this guy already had nearly two hours of fun for his 1,5$ investment. Of course as buyins get higher, we should generally expect, that our opponents are a bit more serious about protecting their investment.

W

williamsc99

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've seen it happen yes, in my case many times when I'm sitting out I'm preparing a snack or even taking a shower. I usually do this near the breaks where I can add the 5 minutes break to the time I want. better prepared back to the table.

malakata19

malakata19

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Many players do that just to keep the chips for a while, thinking maybe they have a good run and the next is a bad one. Good luuck in tables !!!