Players Sitting Out

MatMackenz

MatMackenz

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have noticed in the micro buy-in MTT and Freeroll, you will see many players who will just start to sit-out after making a fairly large stack early in the tournament. This is very common to see 1-2 players sitting out at the table with big stacks.

What would be the purpose of this strategy? Do they not want to make risks and try to make the min-cash only? I have seen this in tournaments where the min-cash is only a penny or two, so it just seems a bit strange to me.

Does anyone else notice this or do any of you do this?

fa1920

fa1920

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Probably do not want to take risks, I've crossed a lot and I really do not find another purpose than that, since you're big stack the minimum you want to do is put pressure on the table, do not go hide

mariale_1990

mariale_1990

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
I guess many prefer not to take unnecessary risks, yesterday in the DC freeroll a player was down and came back only to play 1 strong hand that he had, but my play ended up being better than his, in this case we were already ITM but had more than 20K in chips and we were few so I guess his goal was the final table

L

LuisBoaC

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Could be a player just wanting to sit on their big stack for a while; misguided in my opinion, you should use that big stack and keep growing it, plus you might miss a big hand.
Could be someone not thinking about the game at all - asleep, called away, distracted, etc.

grumblbrumbl

grumblbrumbl

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sometimes the dealer does not pass me the good cards so that I could put pressure on the table. and i don't want to open any two. so sometimes i sit with a large stack, if it's not a bubble. in a bubble, i will open with any two :confused:

Chief talking bull

Chief talking bull

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Sometimes they're just faking it. They know people are going to raise in order to take the free chips then they click (deal me in) and come over the top when they have a good hand. Everything is not always as it seems.

JBGoode

JBGoode

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
With the fast structure of free rolls this is not a very profitable strategy.... I could understand in Multiday liver tournaments where you already have set goals on how meny chips you want to have going into the next days play this would make since....

For exsample your goal is to go into day 2 of a 2 day tournament with 100BBs.... about 3/4 way through day 1 you get a huge triple up giving you like 700BBs (which isnt really that uncommon to happen in non main event multiday day tournaments in HPT, WPT, or WSOPC serise events). I could see taking the rest of the day off, if you only lose 10% of your stacks to blinds your still sitting will over your goal going into day 2. Even after going up 4 levels.

radartodd69

radartodd69

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't know what the sit outs are up to but I'll take their free money. I know they'll take mine when I sit out.

thatguy6793

thatguy6793

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
They could be multitabling and sit out once a stack gets so large so they can focus on some of the other tables. No matter the reason it's free chips so you can't really complain to much

M

mrbond8844

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i do this in freerolls, for me, it's to build a stack and do something else, it's honestly because freerolls aren't worth half their time, so build a fat stack and only play half the time, that's honestly what it is.

A

agriggy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have noticed in the micro buy-in MTT and Freeroll, you will see many players who will just start to sit-out after making a fairly large stack early in the tournament. This is very common to see 1-2 players sitting out at the table with big stacks.

What would be the purpose of this strategy? Do they not want to make risks and try to make the min-cash only? I have seen this in tournaments where the min-cash is only a penny or two, so it just seems a bit strange to me.

They are trying to cash and avoid making a bad move or a bad beat. Also the time for 1 or 2 pennies may not be worth their time.

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
They probably had to go so they just kept going allin. This is not a strategy. Still amazed at how many people limp check it down with sitters.

S

Sorin Iliescu

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i think it just happened a few times consequently and you have nothing to worry about. or they are just card dead so they go afk

gon4iypes

gon4iypes

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
This happens a lot in satellites where there is no 1st or 2nd place...they just want to survive to get the ticket. You can kind of work out how many chips you need to safely survive to the ticket payout

nenaviju poker

nenaviju poker

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It happens that they are hiding and when you want to steal their blind, they appear and put you 3 bet.

neverbluff

neverbluff

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is not a good strategy because you're missing big stack practice that might be useful when you aren't playing in a free roll. A lot of times these guys are very aggressive and just pushing buttons. Always try to take advantage of these inactive players. It gives you a cushion for later on the tournament.

The Boss

The Boss

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

I'll do it if I need to be somewhere for a couple minutes, but other than that expect me to always be on. I think some players sit-out just to avoid losing whatever massive amount of chips they have in an attempt to survive and make some money rather than just taking advantage of their big stack size to accumulate more chips.

Nathan Smith

Nathan Smith

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't see many big stacks sitting out, but the freerolls are full of empty seats. These are great opportunities to gather chips with low risk.

D

duson

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
From what I've seen it's a common strategy for people to try and ride out the starting chip stack to the money if the pay-outs are deep and the eliminations are fast. On ACR it's quite common to see 20-30 players sitting out and just letting it ride to min cash for a few cents.

pancho_1954

pancho_1954

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
Some may prefer to avoid risky situations or maybe wait for the short stack to come out, one of them should be asked who are those who apply those "strategies" but it can be for many reasons, maybe they want to rest a bit and then continue

Amanda A

Amanda A

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I've had to sit out here and there when something else (life) gets in the way.

muse713

muse713

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
ACR is currently running The Venom a satellite tournament. I sit out as soon as I have enough chips that will take me to the next level.

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
They propably have registered in several games, mtts or cash games. When they have a better course in the most expensives, they stay out from the freerolls and the micro, so that to focus in the ones they are interested more! Or a problem occured and they stay out!

Ovuvuevuevue

Ovuvuevuevue

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If they are sitting out there are two reasons. One, they are doing something else and can't play right now. Two, they are purposefully sitting out because they don't have confidence in themselves to not lose before the middle stages. These players don't know how to handle the early stages and so want to minimize risk by simply not playing. The downside is that they're losing out on a ton of value from the beginning, meaning they will be at a big disadvantage later on anyway. Also, some players only want to min cash and some players want to win. Sitting out the early stages will surely get you min cash if you're a decent player but there's no way you will win if you miss out the crucial start.

Ronaldo7

Ronaldo7

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I hate when i lose conection :O