To play in super turbos or to not play?

H

hrix

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think, if you have bankroll at about 100 buy-ins, then, probably, play it. Otherwise, it is so easy to lose money on this tournaments.

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
lol i love how everyone always assumes hypers have no skill to them at all. "they are a luckfest"

it's just a differant type of skill for the differant formats.

hypers-very math and probability orientated. The least amount of skill edge sure, but the plus side is you can play a ton of them, pull in a heap of rakeback, and if you are good at them, you can be slightly positive in terms of ROI depending on the buyin level. At the higher stakes, people will predominately play these for rakeback alone, i know of one player in particular who is losing -3.5% ROI, however he still makes around 50k per year playing poker from rakeback alone.

You will need to know your ICM really well in these, and how stack sizes relate, you will also need to be comfortable playing with less than 3BBs regularly and not be afraid to stick it in when you think you have too.

turbos- Plenty of time for postflop play in these, you will need to have decent postflop skills, but also be in tune with the math and probabilty side of things as well. This generally has the hardest player pool of them all, so expect to see plenty of regular players.

The games still finish relatively quickly, so you can again, pull in plenty of rakeback, and also have a very nice hourly rate with these games. I think overall these are the most profitable in terms of hourly rate, as you can get a lot of rakeback, but also be able to pull in plenty of profit in the games as well. You will need to know your ICM in these games also.

Regular speed- You are going to need to be able to play much, much more postflop in these games. The math and probabilty or "ICM" side in these games is not as severe. Since we have a lot of time, we can pick our spots wisely. You will generally have the highest ROI in these games, as the player pools, while not weak, are generally at it's weakest in these games.

So you can pull out a lot of profit in these gmaes for sure, however, the major downside is the games take forever to finish, so not only do you lose out on rakeback, but also your hourly will be affected greatly. Knowing ICM won't ever hurt in these games, but you can generally get away with having less than ideal ICM skills with a very solid postflop game, however it's still important, especially around the bubble.

Hope this helps to stop all these negative comments/misconceptions about hypers, just keep in mind these games carry with them fish, who love to play these games as they are fast and action packed, any games that keep fish happy are great in my book.

rytciaq

rytciaq

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
lol i love how everyone always assumes hypers have no skill to them at all. "they are a luckfest"

it's just a differant type of skill for the differant formats.

hypers-very math and probability orientated. The least amount of skill edge sure, but the plus side is you can play a ton of them, pull in a heap of rakeback, and if you are good at them, you can be slightly positive in terms of ROI depending on the buyin level. At the higher stakes, people will predominately play these for rakeback alone, i know of one player in particular who is losing -3.5% ROI, however he still makes around 50k per year playing poker from rakeback alone.

You will need to know your ICM really well in these, and how stack sizes relate, you will also need to be comfortable playing with less than 3BBs regularly and not be afraid to stick it in when you think you have too.

turbos- Plenty of time for postflop play in these, you will need to have decent postflop skills, but also be in tune with the math and probabilty side of things as well. This generally has the hardest player pool of them all, so expect to see plenty of regular players.

The games still finish relatively quickly, so you can again, pull in plenty of rakeback, and also have a very nice hourly rate with these games. I think overall these are the most profitable in terms of hourly rate, as you can get a lot of rakeback, but also be able to pull in plenty of profit in the games as well. You will need to know your ICM in these games also.

Regular speed- You are going to need to be able to play much, much more postflop in these games. The math and probabilty or "ICM" side in these games is not as severe. Since we have a lot of time, we can pick our spots wisely. You will generally have the highest ROI in these games, as the player pools, while not weak, are generally at it's weakest in these games.

So you can pull out a lot of profit in these gmaes for sure, however, the major downside is the games take forever to finish, so not only do you lose out on rakeback, but also your hourly will be affected greatly. Knowing ICM won't ever hurt in these games, but you can generally get away with having less than ideal ICM skills with a very solid postflop game, however it's still important, especially around the bubble.

Hope this helps to stop all these negative comments/misconceptions about hypers, just keep in mind these games carry with them fish, who love to play these games as they are fast and action packed, any games that keep fish happy are great in my book.
Usually I don't read long posts like this but I have read this and felt smarter about poker. One question: what is ICM?

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Independent chip model. basically it's a way to assign a $ value to your stack of chips at any given time in a tournament.

So instead of thinking about how in increase your stack in chips, we should be thinking about plays that increase our $.

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
as usual, WiZZim is spot on.

I'll just throw my post in here on the "Hyper turbos are not all luck" side of the debate.

Yes, they are higher variance than turbos, which are higher variance than regular speeds but there is PLENTY of skill involved. The skills are just different, so perhaps not readily observed by the uninitiated.....you know the old saying "you don't even know what you don't know until you know."

Now with that said, my preferred tourney is the turbo SnG because I think it is the best balance of post flop play with shorter tournament.

At the OP, should you play hyper turbos or super turbos with a $7.50 bankroll? I'd say no. of course, you gotta get in the mix with something to try and build your bankroll but I would pick DoNs or regular speed SnGs. The thing is with your small BR and your inability/difficulty in depositing protecting your BR becomes #1 concern. so, I think DoNs are really boring, and I even think regular speed SnGs are kinda boring....but you'll have to just endure a little boredom until you build your roll to a more "risk tolerant" state.

marcela_lula

marcela_lula

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
these super turbo tournaments what matters most is to link premium hands after you have them you can get as much benefit

loafes

loafes

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hyper tutbos have their own skill sets, mostly it's about mathematical/ICM skills. They can be plenty profitable since despite their lower ROIs you can get a good hourly since the volume you can put in is huge. They also have lower rake to compensate the lower roi but can still be great for rakeback due to volume. Having said that, I personally wouldn't play hyperturbos that have more than 6 players. Once you get above that I think they lose most of their value

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
these super turbo tournaments what matters most is to link premium hands after you have them you can get as much benefit
No,no,no.....waiting for premiums in these is definitely losing you money.

I'm glad I read the whole thread before jumping in, because I saw Wizzim already exactly wrote what it is all about.
Just one thing I want to add.....make notes....
I believe if you understand the strategy needed in these games, indeed you can be profitable, even before RB (well at least at lower BI's).
This because you'll see players limp-folding or min-raise folding with their <10 BB stack.
If you'll recognize these players and note them they're very exploitable.

To OP....playing these with a $8 roll is asking for trouble.

P

pokieman04

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
with a 7.50 bankroll I would recommend playing just the regular ones to build your bankroll...the super turbos are just mostly luck, build your bankroll then move to turbos then once you have got use to them and built your bankroll even more, try a few hyper turbos to see you how you like them...

PokerFunKid

PokerFunKid

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Turbo says it all, less skills and more luck. Because you have less hands to play in such tournaments you have to be more lucky to win.

romych007

romych007

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I played such tournaments, there are growing very quickly and the blinds do not need a hand always comes that is very important. You can go to the bank with an average hand and not hit the flop, but the stack is already very small. I think that it is better to play normally sit en gou

Slawa1986

Slawa1986

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
when you have such a short Bank, it is better in super turbo not to play! Start with SNG 45 max turbo mode! Here is more likely to increase your Bank, and super turbo is a lottery!

VizziVizo

VizziVizo

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Dont play!!!Never.Quick blinds growing can not give you to play calm poker and to thing enoush about your hand.Or all in or fold.

N

nygmen2007

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I love playing the quicker blind structure. It helps me because I am an aggressive player and I like the idea of picking ur spot and going for it.. I have a much better record in the hyper's than normal... Everyone has their own style but this suits me and I hope they have more regular tournies like this...

CrockPot

CrockPot

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not sure if any of the recent posters have noticed but this is a very old thread from March, it is no longer relevant. Thanks for all the reply's, there's really no need to keep resurrecting this thread.