Patience when playing poker

nachopaulo

nachopaulo

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
BR
Chips
Anxiety makes many players lose patience and end up playing with any card. I was like that, when I got a long streak of bad cards I ended up being impatient and played with any card and ended up being eliminated early from tournaments. I had to work hard to improve my psychology to handle when the game sent me a sequence of bad cards, and when I learned to wait for the right cards, regardless of the amount of weak cards that came before, I started to get further in tournaments, because I didn't it's changing the way you play that will make you go far and have patience and wait for the right cards.

It always seems that the game is against you, but if you wait for the right cards to come, and believe me if you know how to wait you will already be far ahead of many other players, because what I find most at the tables are impatient players who end up playing with any card and handing out free chips to opponents.

Can you keep your patience and wait for the right cards when the game sends you a long streak of bad cards?

10gerka

10gerka

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
before when I started playing poker it was hard for me to have patience when I did not get good cards, I did not understand how this world of poker was, but as I progressed and studied poker I realized I was making a big mistake, one of the keys to grow in poker is to manage your mind and have a balance in your mood, that is workable, I asked for help from a professional and I could get better every day.

lyki67

lyki67

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BA
Chips
Yes. In last couple of months I can much better wait. My patience is greater and I can wait for better pocket cards. It's difficult but pays off in most cases.

dreamer13

dreamer13

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
LV
Chips
Of all the great ways to compromise your own game that exist, none is more common or more costly than impatience .As many of us know, a poker session can turn into a repetitive fold marathon, which can lead even the most patient player to end up making loose calls. But after all, victory or loss in poker just depends on your selectivity. You have to work your way through all those terrible cards, missed flops, bad positions, and just bad board texture until you find the best moment to hit. We need to learn to be patient. It seems almost absurd that patience (the desire not to act) is so necessary to win this fast and active game. After all, sometimes you need to be out of the game to win it.

Mauricio Perrotta

Mauricio Perrotta

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
Patience in poker is the most important weapon

Risto234

Risto234

põrandaalune pokkerimängija
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
EE
Chips
Anxiety makes many players lose patience and end up playing with any card. I was like that, when I got a long streak of bad cards I ended up being impatient and played with any card and ended up being eliminated early from tournaments. I had to work hard to improve my psychology to handle when the game sent me a sequence of bad cards, and when I learned to wait for the right cards, regardless of the amount of weak cards that came before, I started to get further in tournaments, because I didn't it's changing the way you play that will make you go far and have patience and wait for the right cards.

It always seems that the game is against you, but if you wait for the right cards to come, and believe me if you know how to wait you will already be far ahead of many other players, because what I find most at the tables are impatient players who end up playing with any card and handing out free chips to opponents.

Can you keep your patience and wait for the right cards when the game sends you a long streak of bad cards?
Every card is playable therefore no need to wait for something which may not come after all lol

nachopaulo

nachopaulo

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
BR
Chips
Every card is playable therefore no need to wait for something which may not come after all lol
Yes, but I mean tournaments, where we have beginners, recreational and pros. You can't play with any card when a recreational player can push you all in out of nowhere with or without value, so the preference is that you have value in your hands so you don't play the flop out of luck.

infonazar

infonazar

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I have been playing poker for almost 12 years, and during this time I realized that patience is a key element without which it is impossible to achieve good results. Without exaggeration, I am always patient and because of this I manage to make money.

Bnobob

Bnobob

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
we're not playing solitaire on the computer; yes a game that requires you to make frequent moves to maintain a healthy stack

Chebchoub

Chebchoub

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips

Hi:)
If you do not have patience in poker especially in slow tournaments you will not achieve any result. Patience is very important in poker, because sometimes garbage hands are distributed to you for so long that you get angry, but if you are patient poker will give you a lot of good hands

C

Cooking

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Most of the times yes, I have a lot of patience to wait for the good cards and the right moment. This is one of the reasons I try to only play when I'm not stressed. In the days that I'm feeling stressed and still want to play, I only play freerolls, at least my impatience will not cost me any money.

maestro121920

maestro121920

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i definitely can, im disciplined enough to know what my starting hand ranges are

Joe

Joe

99.98% Kiln dried
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
When needed, yes... :)

Patience is extremely important and the lack of it will always cause issues, especially in MTT play!

KrazyKoo

KrazyKoo

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
FI
Chips
Patience is overrated. I tend to play the best when music on 11. I think 99% poker is just reading timing tells... even online.

RagNar87

RagNar87

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
poker is not a race is a marathon :cool::cool::sneaky::sneaky:

Djon25

Djon25

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
When you lose, patience disappears somewhere.

Baldy86

Baldy86

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i think patience is VERY important . because it will hinder you from doing certain mistakes like shoving all in in a situation where you probably should not . especially with not so good hands

i think to improve your patience it helps that you are not hungry or thirsty , that you are not sleepy / tired but well rested , that you are not in a hurry because of something else , that you are calm if possible etc

partz

partz

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Definitely an important trait. Patience can make a difference between a pro and a legend poker player ;)

PuletJelek

PuletJelek

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Patience is very important thing in poker...

ASMautoneJr

ASMautoneJr

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Your story is very nice.
I also had the same "anxiety" or "impatience", until I also managed to wait for the good cards to play, and after that I started exploring positioning and the average cards, and I managed to improve my game.

Success at the tables.

H

hrvats

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips

Depence..but the most of time, I am patient during a game

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Patience is very important in this game. Just like a hunter in real life, who needs patience to wait for the victim! Patience combined with wisdom in this game it is pure profit!

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In live poker this kind of boredom and urge to "make something happen" is a big factor, and there is no other solution than learning discipline. Online however there are several ways, we can increase the amount of hands, we are "allowed" to play, so that we dont get bored:

1) We can add more tables
2) We can play Zoom tournaments
3) We can play short-handed games like heads-up or Spin n Gos

Any of the above is definitely better than playing a single 8-max or 9-max game and end up calling on BTN with J4s, because we have not been involved in a hand for the last 10 minutes.

Lena M

Lena M

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hi.
I always wait for strong cards. I am never in a hurry, because haste leads to wrong decisions. I don't play with junk, instead I patiently wait for good cards and situations. I am generally very patient and my patience very often allows me to earn additional income.

nasty bent gorilla

nasty bent gorilla

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips

I agree, patience and discipline are two great virtues in poker. Being aware of your psychological tendencies, like anxiety, can be overcome with self knowledge.