T

tzuriel

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I try and give concise descriptions of certain hands where I saw them act a certain way
"Shoved 142bb PF with AQs"
"Raised 62s UTG"
"Will defend wide"

If I see a repeat of bad play, I tag them blue. If they show consistent strong play, I tag them red. I leave them yellow w/comments until they have proven to be one way or the other

Great thread,

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
The main color notes that are made on the players are the statistics of the poker sites !!! If a player plays outside the box - all-in with a trash hand or a big raise with a weak hand or too many bluffs, then I will make a separate note !!!

poliaris747

poliaris747

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I always pay attention when the opponent passes, at what rate he throws out the cards.

theANMATOR

theANMATOR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I try and give concise descriptions of certain hands where I saw them act a certain way
"Shoved 142bb PF with AQs"
"Raised 62s UTG"
"Will defend wide"

If I see a repeat of bad play, I tag them blue. If they show consistent strong play, I tag them red. I leave them yellow w/comments until they have proven to be one way or the other

Great thread,

Nice process TZ. I use purple for an unconfirmed note, same as you do with yellow. :) And change it to the appropriate color once the note has been confirmed.

CDNMAN 42

CDNMAN 42

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The date

This will sound odd and I am sure your 1st thought will be WTF is is doing but its vital in my opinion. Its the date.

So why? I do add a lot of notes at times and it will be all over the place depending on the player. The date is the time my last note was made on the player. There is nothing worse that reading a note on a player that no longer applies. When I dont play someone for a long enough against a player I am more careful and want to make sure the player has not changer there style of play. I have literately had note call any top pair vs the loose player to seeing them months latter actually tighten up enough that top pair is not always a easy snap call. Some players will actually learn to become better players and just relying on notes can be hurtful in no longer accurate and up to date.

As for what your asking, I will notate hands that are played that are interesting and will help me in the future. You will have nits who jam every time all in if they have draws and maniacs who never bet the nuts. Its things like this I find valuable as hell. Im basically just using this info to get into there minds.

I have agree. Players evolve, habits and tendencies change and sometimes they even get better, lol, Considering that you most likely don’t see the same players every day or every tourney then the record of the passing of time is critical. Some players who I do see repeatedly in SitNGos I do have effective notes on their tendencies like a player who min raises preflop a lot but folds to three bets. Those never seem to adjust to idea that their opponents are using that tendency to take their chips :):):)

okeedokalee

okeedokalee

Glory To Ukraine
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
NZ
Chips
Notes are circumstantial.
Villains act differently dependent on stack sizes, position, etc.
Even Calling Stations have fold buttons, inducing them to call at the right moment is the key, if you can work them out.
Knowing what elastic and inelastic ranges can mean may help you to understand what a player is doing at various times.

D

Dandadandan

Enthusiast
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Dont have such a thing but if i'd have one then it probably would be similar to one other (american?) forum's unofficial slogan: "Youaredumbshit"

LOL yeah this is basically the only note I add to players... when they call off massive stacks with trash hands preflop and that kind of thing.

I don't actually even open my notes until I'm writing one though so it's pointless... more of a way to let off steam when I take a beat from their trash hands :)

StealTheButton

StealTheButton

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think notes about flop play are very important. If the raise preflop and totally miss do they C-bet or check? Do they make a large bet when hitting top pair and small bet when they miss? Do they try and trap when flopping 2 pair or better or do they bet these hands outright? Knowing what the villain will often do in these spots will help you get away from hands when you are beaten and help you to maximize value when you have the best of it, or perhaps steal a pot that didn't belong to you, lol.

R

Recreationalplayer

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
VPIP, PFR and 3 Bet % preflop
C-bet and Fold to C-bet % postflop. I sometimes like to look at Check Raise % as well.

T

The Long Shot

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Predictable opponents are obviously the ones you want, whatever their tendencies.

It's the ones that change things up frequently which can cause the biggest slip-ups. They may look like a certain kind of lunatic, but be capable of suddenly changing gears on you.

Spending an orbit watching an opponent like this won't help you.

Make a note so you know to take whatever you see with a pinch of salt.

theANMATOR

theANMATOR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have agree. Players evolve, habits and tendencies change and sometimes they even get better, lol, Considering that you most likely don’t see the same players every day or every tourney then the record of the passing of time is critical. Some players who I do see repeatedly in SitNGos I do have effective notes on their tendencies like a player who min raises preflop a lot but folds to three bets. Those never seem to adjust to idea that their opponents are using that tendency to take their chips :):):)

Thanks for the input CD. This is a great example of using notes to take advantage of a players tendency. I disagree - a little bit - with the quoted post below - I find most players have a very difficult time adjusting, and changing their patterns.
Of course we should all be improving - and if the notes we have on players which point out exploitable tendencies are not continuing to be at least 75% accurate - then I think it is a good idea to add to the note - or even remove it - if we see that a player has changed his strategy.

Notes are circumstantial.
Villains act differently dependent on stack sizes, position, etc.
Even Calling Stations have fold buttons, inducing them to call at the right moment is the key, if you can work them out.
Knowing what elastic and inelastic ranges can mean may help you to understand what a player is doing at various times.

okee - I have notes on a large number of players who will 100% limp any 2 suited cards from any position regardless of their chip stack. Of these players maybe two have modified this exploitable tendency. But - yes - I do agree - players who are serious about improving are always evolving, and any notes on those players will need to be adjusted as well.

My notes are ALWAYS about exploitable tendencies, that the HUD simply does not provide. I can tell when a player limps too much by simply looking at the VPIP/PFR and which position he is playing his hands from - it's pretty easy to see. The HUD will NOT tell you what range of hands he is limping. So when I see - and have confirmed - a player is almost always limping a suited ace from any position - I can exploit that post flop.

You mentioned calling stations having a fold button, and I agree with you - they do - when the board is completely obvious - they are beat, like a 4 flush board and they are holding 3rd pair. However - I'm mainly talking about the MCS - which is a SUPERIOR Major Calling Station. This player is NEVER folding one pair, until the river. They are ALWAYS chasing - they will pay pre, and if they hit one pair they are going to the river trying to hit that magical 2 pair - where they will happily re-raise - or call the river bet. They chase all draws regardless of the bet sizing. It's a 75% certainty these players will call pre and no less than two streets with any one pair. This is my number one NOTE to exploit on players I have Identified as MCS. :icon_thum:icon_thum

takinitSLEAZEE

takinitSLEAZEE

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
The buy-in/whether or not they made the final table. Everything else is just poker.

A

arsenalcho_1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
hi

I first look at how much and whether the opponent raises at all. Then how many hands go in and last but not least how it reacts to my Raise

S

SheldonMS

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Agressive, passive and crazy

I try to identify the aggressive ones (cbet and 3bet), the passive ones (call and fold to cbet) and the crazy ones (call or allin with bad hands or out of position).

Last edited: