Opening first in a tournament from Middle position

bigreD451

bigreD451

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I've been in a situation where I'm first to open in a tournament from middle position with QQ's. The blinds are 10/20. with so many to play behind me I find when I raise I get tangled in pots that crush me. At that point do I want to lose control of the pot with a limp or go with a mini raise to have an exit.

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I've been in a situation where I'm first to open in a tournament from middle position with QQ's. The blinds are 10/20. with so many to play behind me I find when I raise I get tangled in pots that crush me. At that point do I want to lose control of the pot with a limp or go with a mini raise to have an exit.

Thank you for posting.

We do not want to vary our open sizing based on what might happen. Instead we want to improve our post flop play while holding QQ under different scenarios. Out of position vs in position -2 way or 3 way or 4 way. High boards-low boards-connected boards etc.

You may want to post hands in the tournie hand analysis section or look for hands posted there that have similar scenarios to the hands you are having difficulty with postflop for more specific advice.

Limping QQ first in is not helpful to post flop play as it does not narrow ranges at all and wide ranges post flop vs QQ by multiple players is -EV folding would be better.

Min raising is fine but not to fold post flop because folding is easier, again the key is our post flop skills.

Hope this helps
:):)

A

alien666dj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
With premium hands, you need to bet 3Bet in order to cut off weaker ranges. Limp will allow opponents to see the flop for a cheaper price, which in turn can lead to a loss.

Clease

Clease

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
DE
Chips
When the blinds are at 10/20 so you should normaly have a stack over 60 BB and you should raise between 2,5 and 3 BB. Players with weak hands have then not the chance for limping. And you could win the hand at the flop with a continuation bet. Limping is a bad decission. You get no information and for players behind you it will beome cheap to see the flop