Open shoving AQ with a short stack. Not as great as you might think.

Kimpel17

Kimpel17

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you are the short stack you don't really have a choice. Better to shove with this hand because shoving with garbage when you are forced to is going to have a much lower win rate.

T

tomnovember

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I was fiddling around with HH's this morning. I was curious about how good a hand AQ was to open shove in short stack situations. I just assumed that it would be crushing opponents ranges when called. Surprisingly that was not the case. I don't really have the time right now to provide an in depth report but here's the break down.

At full tables I have open shoved AQs and AQo 190 times from all positions. Of those 190 times I have been called 88 times. Of those 88 times, I have only been a clear favorite 23 times. In only 26% of the instances have I been more than a 1% or 2% favorite. That's it! You'd think there would have been alot of dominated Ax hands, or KQ, KJ type of hands but not so. I did see more of that when I shoved from late position or the blinds, as you would expect but for the most part it was AK, AQ or any pair types of hands that I found myself up against.

All together I won only 59% of all the hands I shoved, including the times where I won without seeing a flop. I really expected this number to be more like 75% to 85%.

Here's the breakdown by position where the first number is the times I've been called by a worse hand and the second number is the total instances.

SB 3/3
6OB 0/7
5OB 3/19
4OB 4/14
3OB 3/8
2OB 5/14
1OB 2/9
BTN 3/14
Total 23/88

Wish I could spend a little more time on this but I knew that if I didn't post it now it would just get shelved and I'd probably never get back to it.

75% - 85%? That's incredible! Even when facing AJ-A2, AQ still just have ~80% chance to win, not to say there are so many pairs existing.

A2345Razz

A2345Razz

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Oh yeah, The Gap Theory! Wow, That's from like 1976. I feel like I'm in a time warp.

Useless huh? Do I really have to explain what short stacked is in a tournament?

So did he ever actually define what he meant by "short stack"..???

Pretty hilarious thread TBH.