nasty bent gorilla

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Does anybody use this strategy?

I know some players limp sb and button. Do you treat cutoff seat very differently to button position?

How wide is your range from the button?

Does your general, limping strategy change when playing a satellite?

Do you adjust when antes are introduced?

Andyreas

Andyreas

Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
No, myself I never limp first in. Only limping behind with speculative hands when stacks are still deep. 😊

S

sumdumguy

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
We could say that the button is the strongest position at the table, because if all the players retire, the button remains to speak first in front of the blind. I don't know if you've noticed a 22 on the button and you win with trios or even poker! , from there you will see the best game, of course you should never underestimate the other positions because with the right cards and the right bets you connect extraordinary hands (y), or you win with Farol:Roflmao:

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I often use a SB limping strategy, when there is an ante. The rationale is, it allow me to play more hands. When I do it, I typically limp all my hands, and then I limp-reraise pretty aggressively to prevent the opponent from raising me with any random junk. I dont open limp from any other seats than SB, because I think, its more beneficial to build the pot in position and get some fold equity. But the theoretical reason for limping BTN or even earlier seats is to take away spots, where its very profitable for players behind to rejam. So its very stack size specific and mostly near the bubble or on the final table.

kunkgreen

kunkgreen

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I believe you will find the answers you need here. lol
There are so many so many players limping...

I don't think they have any strategy, but we'd love to hear the answers! :)
Of course, some spots can be exploited... against very aggressive players...
...some pluribus spots playing limp button are really interesting.

Some people may have anxiety problems and not be able to stay a round without playing...

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The only thing worse than the open limp is the open limp with players sitting out.

nasty bent gorilla

nasty bent gorilla

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
No, myself I never limp first in. Only limping behind with speculative hands when stacks are still deep. 😊
Nothing wrong with that, I know you play very solidly.
I often use a SB limping strategy, when there is an ante. The rationale is, it allow me to play more hands. When I do it, I typically limp all my hands, and then I limp-reraise pretty aggressively to prevent the opponent from raising me with any random junk.
Interesting as ever; The sb v bb battle is a fascinating mini game within the big picture.

the theoretical reason for limping BTN or even earlier seats is to take away spots, where its very profitable for players behind to rejam. So its very stack size specific and mostly near the bubble or on the final table.
Yeah, I heard Dara O'Kearney Mention it on an old livestream. A core heuristic is preventing villain from reaching the threshold of a 20% addition to their stack if they shove.

I probably won't be bothering however, as players at very low stakes don't shove optimally, relative to opening ranges. I think people are more inclined to over fold their big blind to avoid difficult decisions.

Last edited:
Emily Trott

Emily Trott

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I very seldom limp into a pot. In my opinion if a hand is worth playing, then the hand is worth betting on.

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I very seldom limp into a pot. In my opinion if a hand is worth playing, then the hand is worth betting on.
I agree.

I think limping telegraphs weakness to all your opponents.

To me limping says that you want to see a flop and maybe a river.

Why not min raise with a wide range?

Is the OP limp calling all raises?

You can limp as a trap.

But trapping and being trapped is a fine line!

Just my opinions.

Last edited:
Gallarado777

Gallarado777

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
I think you need to give up the limp you can play if you have AA and against an aggressive player and you expect him to be aggressive against yourself then you can play like this but I think it will be so rare you can sometimes play 22 33 such cards

N

Niykk

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I avoid limping too. It's one of the first things I've learned about poker. 'Never limp.'

Last edited:
jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Does anybody use this strategy?

I know some players limp sb and button. Do you treat cutoff seat very differently to button position?

How wide is your range from the button?

Does your general, limping strategy change when playing a satellite?

Do you adjust when antes are introduced?
Yes, I like to pay attention to the table so I know when I can get away with limping UTG or UTG+1. A lot of times tables will be arranged where you can limp in EP and the rest of the table will treat it just like an open raise. I've often limped UTG and ended up HU against the BB. In these type of flops, it's almost always checked to me and I can c-bet close to 100% of the time and take down a small pot. :)

JeffSBrito

JeffSBrito

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
When it comes to playing on the button, I take a more aggressive approach and avoid going into the limp too often. I believe that the button is a privileged position, as I have the advantage of being in a position to observe the actions of my opponents before making any decision. So instead of just going in limp, I prefer to increase the bet or even apply a considerable increase to try to steal the blinds and possible before. Also, when playing on the button, my range of hands is quite wide, which means that I'm willing to play a variety of cards. However, it's important to remember that even with a wide range, I still consider the strength of my hand and the information I have about my opponents before taking any action.

M

mclay

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
You read the chat, well, just only the pros in the chat.:cool: Probably in freerolls these pros only play drunk or stoned.:p