Open limping in $1 9 man SNGs

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't like to open limp at all even at $1 (although now I want to try Belepheron's AA idea). The problem with open limping low PPs and low suited connectors is that it defines your range. Open for (the same) raise with everything you're going to play - that way the villains will have no idea how strong you are.

You can win right there, you can win if you hit and you can win if you miss if the board/action seems favourable.

If you open limp you can't win right away. It's harder to win post flop if you miss, or win the max if you hit because you've defined your hand.

Yes but you are forgetting that 99 percent of 1 dollar players cannot deduce this and even if they knew they would still have a hard time knowing what to do...so while its true your ranges are usually capped and defined not very many players know that so theres no point in adjusting to something that isnt happening...

belerophon

belerophon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't like to open limp at all even at $1 (although now I want to try Belepheron's AA idea). The problem with open limping low PPs and low suited connectors is that it defines your range. Open for (the same) raise with everything you're going to play - that way the villains will have no idea how strong you are.

You can win right there, you can win if you hit and you can win if you miss if the board/action seems favourable.

If you open limp you can't win right away. It's harder to win post flop if you miss, or win the max if you hit because you've defined your hand.

Just as Wizzim says, one of the problems is over thinking how much 'awareness' your average micro player has. For the once or twice my limp trick worked there had to be an equal number of times I just get flat called by way more than I wanted.

Could probably just as well open shove on first hand in micros with aces or kings and get a caller. I've seen this happen before as well.

Over all though, open limping is just not a good idea because your trying to introduce complexity to a group of players who generally don't understand what you are trying to do.

L

love that omaha

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would stick to playing from late position and punishing the limpers - maybe limp with a monster once in awhile but not too often. In these single tables your opponents will make a lot of mistakes if you give them time. I like to maintain a healthy stack and play my premium hands as aggressively as possible. Many times you can isolate one of the weaker players and establish yourself as the chipleader which always makes things easier. I also find when it gets to like 4 handed there are a multitude of mistakes being made. Good luck

G

GWU73

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Had and fast rules like never limp just limit your game. Here is an easy example: If you are playing in an aggressive game it makes sense play strong hands and not open limp at all. Playing in a loose passive table you can limp speculative hands, and get paid when you hit a monster.

NoWuckingFurries

NoWuckingFurries

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would stick to playing from late position and punishing the limpers - maybe limp with a monster once in a while but not too often.

I try to vary what I do from time to time just to keep my opponents guessing, and this has paid off enormously with more advanced players that have clearly analysed my style and assume that they know why I have made a certain play, then fall headlong straight into my trap.

Hard and fast rules like never limp just limit your game. Here is an easy example: If you are playing in an aggressive game it makes sense play strong hands and not open limp at all. Playing in a loose passive table you can limp speculative hands, and get paid when you hit a monster.

Yes, I received quite a lot of abuse recently when I hit trips with my small pocket pair and took out two guys that were both quite happy to go all in with two pair. The more abuse I receive, the better the job I feel that I have done with misleading people about the strength of my hand :p

Ducbim

Ducbim

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Players are crazy at $1.5 & $1 SNG. I would like to trap them with my premium hands EP, especially in hyper turbo format.

L

lfc

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
OK so I've just come back to online poker after a few years away and I'm playing the $1 9-man SNGs at Full Tilt. It seems odd to me that you pay a lower percentage of rake on their $1 turbo 9-man SNGs than you do on their $2.25 turbo 9-man SNGs, but that's not the point of this thread.

One thing that I had drummed into my head fairly thoroughly when I was trying to learn poker before was never to open limp. Has that advice changed over the last couple of years? The reason I ask is because limping is rife in these tournaments, and even a lot of the guys that are multitabling on 6 to 8 tables open limp.

I'm not just talking about when the blinds are high and a few players are left, it's happening in the earlier stages, too.

I would say that in my opinion it hasn't but there is surely a growing trend and the fish loves it :D

S

scooba13

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just as Wizzim says, one of the problems is over thinking how much 'awareness' your average micro player has. For the once or twice my limp trick worked there had to be an equal number of times I just get flat called by way more than I wanted.

Could probably just as well open shove on first hand in micros with aces or kings and get a caller. I've seen this happen before as well.

Over all though, open limping is just not a good idea because your trying to introduce complexity to a group of players who generally don't understand what you are trying to do.

I agree that you don't want to do too much levelling at micro stakes - however, that doesn't mean that you should jump on the open limping bandwagon. I guess if you have a strong feeling that the limp will get many callers and that if you hit a set a fish will call you down with 2 pairs or worse allowing you to win a big pot - the problem is that you don't really want multi way pots at all.

Whatever hand you have from air to AA does better against one caller. Even if you hit your set in a limpfest you'll have one player chasing the gutshot and another the runner runner flush - they'll hit often enought to drive you nuts.

By raising strong and weak hands the same with unthinking opponents you'll still get the benefit of trimming the field. It's also a good habit to get into so your hands don't play face up against thinking opponents.