only have 5-9 BB in the tournament

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I know exactly what are you talking about :) It happens to me often too. I dont have problems to built my stack in beginning of tourney most of times. But in later phase (close to bubble) I have problem to stay with average or above... I still have feeelings like I am card dead... Then its hard and I am forced to preflop allin actions, which I dont like :D

Nobody 'LIKES' having to shove, but if you play tourney's you must get used to it.
Try thinking about it a different way, it works for me; When I get short stacked it is like getting released, I am free to do any damn thing I want. While I have not yet shoved 72o, I have been close.

I

inflnlte

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
Dont let yourself get in those kinds of positions. Be aggressive when you have 10-20bbs and its the best chance you have to go deep in a tournament. If you do end up getting low, you shouldn't get in a spot to get to around 5bbs. Shove almost any two when you have a chance with around 5bbs.

aa88wildbill

aa88wildbill

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Once you get down that low there's not a whole lot you can do. Wait for a good hand push it all in. Sounds to me like you need to work on , what got you to the,5-9 BB's!

Seraphim

Seraphim

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with you. There is such a thing as truth.But all in without good cards often have bad luck.So I wonder which would be the optimal choice.
Well make sure you get good luck before going all in you know run around in a circle 3 times screaming fossil mans name and then try to go all in...should give you lots of luck :)

JohnBoyWWFC

JohnBoyWWFC

Grindddddd
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Don't think the Greg Raymer name is bringing anyone luck after yesterday's news.

K

kwhilborn

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you are late and nobody has raised then any ace-rag all in when you are very short stacked 5 or less BB. I'd want at least a decent off suit if I had some more.

One tactic is to wait until you are Small or Big blind and try to peeve your neighbor blind. Don't you just hate it when you limp in from small blind and then he raises. So if there is no other limpers then raise your neighbor and go all in at any site of a good hand whether small hit or draw. It is sometimes easier to double up on a neighbor who thinks your bluffing.

Another tactic I use is if I have a very small stack <4XBB and the table is loose then you know you are going to have your next all-in called by 4 people. Heck even bullets will likely lose against 4 competitors in on it. This is where you take advantage of other players all-ins (PREFERABLY BY AGGRESSIVE PLAYER). So if someone goes all in with a big stack and you have a 7-8 offsuit and your on a loose table with <4BB then why not throw your chips in and hope they are pushing AK,AQ,KQ,KJ, or some similar non pair, you are not in against 4 opponents and stand a 35% chance at doubling.

Now another good thing when low stacked is if you slow play a monster hand. In this case you do not want to go all in and perhaps your raise should be 2XBB (or call anything) to keep others in the pot and hope they pair up their Jack or Nine against your KK. It is risky to slow play and not defend your hand, but with 4XBB to your name you want 2-4 people matching your pot so bet slow but get your pot in there before river. Slow playing can bite, but A monster hand successful here could put you back in the game at 14XBB or the like. An all in could work as well if the table is loose depending on how you are viewed.

(how many turn off their screen on these all-ins? I sometimes do and hope the math pans out).

With 5-8 BB though I'd be looking to double up.

Many people call/limp with ace-rag, and if a table of ten has folded down to the blinds then it is likely there is some high cards still in the deck for flop. If you get an Ace- decent (8+) rag in Small blind then an all-in to the BB might pay off with a call and some luck if they have lots of chips.

There are so many circumstances and opportunities to look at, so this is not an EASY question.

dresturn2

dresturn2

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I usually look for any spots around the button to shove in if Im the first to enter the pot. I would also never call off with weak holdings but sometimes you just have to gamble.