Online Holdem Newbie

C

CCFegs

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi everyone,
First time post for me, so bear with me. Been playing holdem online now for maybe 4 months, and after losing at first, decided to go read a little, lost a little less (or more slowly), read a bit more and now feel I'm starting to compete at Fifty50 and single table (3 paid from 9) holdem $15 buy-ins. Also getting to last 3 or 4 tables on $5.50 buy-ins etc. (So in the money anyway). I still feel I am not reading other players hands right, or perhaps it's just the cards and this obviously knocks the confidence. Will give couple of examples

1. Pair of 6's flopped 789 bet 1/2 pot, called by opponent.
Turn is 10, same betting river is J so now straight on board.
Opponent bets all-in and as I am pretty sure there's a good
chance of him having held a queen and at best I'm equal in the hand
I fold. Think this was correct decision.

2. Another game same session.
I am dealt AQ flop comes down 8910J dealt on board opponent all in.
I go all in he has QK so wins.
This one I put down to the luck of the draw!!

3. Later again.
I am dealt AQ again flop comes out A56 turn 8 river J.
I am pretty sure due to pre-flop betting he does not have AK or better.
I bet pot or 1/2 pot all through. On river he goes all in.
Now I have to ask does he have AK, or better, or does he have AJ.
I called and lost to his AJ.

Number 3 is really the one that concerns me. I have read and agree that it is cheaper to take someone's bet as genuine than to call their bluff, but just wondered if some of you more experienced guys would have done it differently, or do I just put it down to the cards.

My own review of my play at first showed me losing often on low pairs, Ace-rag suited cards, and mid suited connectors, so although I do now still sometimes call or get in cheap on them, I know to fold ASAP if flop no good. So I have studied a few of my mistakes from the early days, and make less mistakes, but still find it very hard to know when someone online is bluffing, and I hate giving in to it !!!!

Any comments would be appreciated and thanks for taking the time.

Live Dealer Holdem - Texas Holdem Poker Rules