pirateglenn

pirateglenn

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Lets create a scenario time..

You are in early position and are now 2 handed with 11 players left in the tourney - the tourney is a $109 turbo, you are evenly matched in chips with your opponent who is a TAG player and someone who is known to be regarded as a dynamic, results orientated player.

You hold 33 and your opponent who is in the Cut off position has already 3 bet raised you and you have flat called - the flop comes A K 3 - your opponent bets 2/3 of the pot - whats your move?

Andyreas

Andyreas

Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
I have no idea what TAG means but for a proper scenario we also need to know how deep we both are.

If I'm less than 20 BBs entering the pot, I'm easily shoving here.

Even if he holds AK, which would be probable, I'm still ahead, just hoping no A or K appears. :)

Of course he could also hold AA or KK but that's a risk I am willing to take.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Unless its an undersized 3-bet, fold preflop. With 11 left, stacks are usually nowhere near deep enough to justify setmining out of position in a 3-bet pot. But ignoring that this is the dream flop, if we do make that mistake, and the best strategy is to let the opponent hang himself by check-calling all the way down.

Gallarado777

Gallarado777

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
I will call I will give my opponent a bluff so that he feels that he is ahead waiting for a bet on the turn

Joe

Joe

99.98% Kiln dried
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I have no idea what TAG means but for a proper scenario we also need to know how deep we both are.

If I'm less than 20 BBs entering the pot, I'm easily shoving here.

Even if he holds AK, which would be probable, I'm still ahead, just hoping no A or K appears. :)

Of course he could also hold AA or KK but that's a risk I am willing to take.
TAG means tight - aggressive.

LAG means loose - aggressive.

Styles of play/player. ;)

BetterThanAvgButNotByMuch

BetterThanAvgButNotByMuch

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't play small pairs from the 1st three spots like that towards the end of a tourn and if you call a raise like that from early position then its a dead give away what you have like small pairs or you're looking for an ace especially describing they way you played the hand. An opponent would know what it is by noticing what hands you've been playing.

That's an easy fold from that position because of the people left to act after you that can just raise it 3xBB and now you have to put in a nice chunk of your stack just to see a flop. This is a play for a much earlier time in the tourn.

You can call it and see how the action goes but if its raised 2.5 -3x from a later position then I would dump it because at best you hit a 2 outer for the set and think about it, you're playing for a 2 outer while putting a nice size of your stack to go fishing for it.

You could raise it to see what action you get but understand you'll be a coinflip or worse if you get action and I like that over what you did but calling twice going for a 2 outer and even with that mindset, if the board is wet with flush and straight draws then you still won't be out of the woods.

That's why I definitely wouldn't call with baby pairs in early position like that and especially 2 times like that. If you're an aggressive player raise it, if more tight then fold it after calling the one BB if its raised 3x.

But that call, call, stuff putting a few orbits in the middle of the table doesn't seem like the way to play that hand to me.

So the long winded response is I would think about putting more planning into a hand out before even playing it like position and what stage of a tourn you're in then just what your hand is in that situation. It'll save you a lot of headaches in the long run.

And if you decide to play tight and fold those small pairs then the key isn't to question yourself if you fold the baby pairs from early position and see folks playing a passive hand where you see you could have won a big hand.

In that situation you say to yourself that you have a game plan and you're playing a solid game with discipline that you know works and catching 2 out flops like that is the EXCEPTION and not the norm.

okeedokalee

okeedokalee

Glory To Ukraine
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
NZ
Chips
If you re-raise and he folds you lose a customer. If you re-raise and he shoves then you have a quandary. Why not call and see the turn. If he has an ace or king and bets, call, let him hang himself on the river when you re-raise his river bet.
If your Villain is so tight he only plays pocket AA or KK then fold. The flop is good for the pre-flop action by a tight player.
A thought to contemplate is that at the tail end of a tournament small pairs lose value broadway cards gain in value.
Playing 3-3 with 11 players left from early position is considered minus EV, especially when calling a 3bet out of position.

M

mara2259

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Lets create a scenario time..

You are in early position and are now 2 handed with 11 players left in the tourney - the tourney is a $109 turbo, you are evenly matched in chips with your opponent who is a TAG player and someone who is known to be regarded as a dynamic, results orientated player.

You hold 33 and your opponent who is in the Cut off position has already 3 bet raised you and you have flat called - the flop comes A K 3 - your opponent bets 2/3 of the pot - whats your move?

The task of a player with a small pair is to see the flop cheaply so that if a set comes, he will recoup as much as possible for previous failures. You made an inaccuracy by raising from early position, which in this case worked in your favor. Villain remembers your open raise and 3-bet call, sees AK on the flop and you check, which for some reason you don't mention, what should he think? Most likely he will put you a weaker pair or an ace. He is forced to check either your stamina or compare the strength of your ace with his own. That's the only way to explain a 2/3 pot raise. Betting like this with a pocket pair below A is pure bluff in this spot. A set of aces and kings is unlikely, as there is no point in pushing you out of the game with too much bet. Your actions: Check-call on all streets and only on the all-in river, as it is possible that a paired board and a full house are stronger than you.

Yermek

Yermek

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I call. There is always the possibility of a pair in the other player's hand and it might be AA.

dreamer13

dreamer13

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
LV
Chips
If you want to end your sessions with as many chips as possible, you need to understand how to choose between fast and slow play. Not all sets are equal because not all situations are identical. If your opponent is bluffing, he may continue to bet on the turn and/or river if you just call. A check-raise in this case can result in your opponent being knocked out of the hand.

Mauricio Perrotta

Mauricio Perrotta

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
My play would be ir all in, luego de que el apueste 2/3 del bote

jonaselloco

jonaselloco

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
Being an aggressive player like you say your opponent is, I tell you how I would play and depending on the position, this is important because it is not the same as calling BN or calling BB.
But anyway with 333 you have an unbeatable situation. On the flop you only win 2 hands AA and KK, if the villain has AK he must wait for the turn and river that God helps him with another A or K, even with the possibility that the other 3 falls from the sky and the hand ends.
In that hand I pay until the end, what if I wouldn't do is go allin on the flop for example, because in the assumptions and as he says he is an aggressive player, if he has QQ for example, in sight of the flop he will still raise like he did. If you go there he may think "caution, there is top pair thought that you could have only called with A10 for example" but it is difficult for him to analyze that you have 33 by only calling, because to tell the truth any player who achieves the set in general goes with a deep raise or go allin, unless you don't want him to see beyond the flop then if he calls allin and you win the pot, because it can happen that you are at a moment in the MTT that you don't need the big hand, but a good hand to follow, and also looking at that situation if you go all in and he folds, you win a good amount of blinds to follow.
At least I would see it that way.
greetings and blessings friend

kunkgreen

kunkgreen

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Everyone has said it before, but it's worth mentioning....
We should open with low pairs preferably closer to the button.

With villain being a TAG, how tight would he 3-bet someone in early position?
Just 3-bet AQs+? ako? 99+? Or do you have a looser range being able to make this move with K9s+? Ax?
What showdown hands do you have villain info on?
Everything must be considered at these times.

But in your case you flat called to see your 3 hit the board.
He hit... now you keep playing!

If you think the weak villain's c-bet would work passively just calling and wait for the next card to act.
I believe you are winning, because until then you would only be losing to AA or KK. If he has either one, congratulations to him.

Matt_Burns88

Matt_Burns88

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I can't imagine a situation this deep in a tournament where I'm calling a 3-bet pre-flop with 33...however, once we flop the world, I'm happy just calling the flop and check/calling turn. If he checks behind on the turn, I'm shoving river.

MAGICUZ

MAGICUZ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
First, let him put the first one and so as not to scare him, I will just call and on the river I bet all-in.Unless of course he has a set KK:ROFLMAO:

SpanRmonka

SpanRmonka

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Call if there are no flush draws, call or raise if there are....I'm probs 50/50 which I will go for here.

A

AllOut

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I will call I will give my opponent a bluff so that he feels that he is ahead waiting for a bet on the turn
tricky tricky untill he punishes you with set of kings.:confused: I think in tournaments, pairs below 77s are fold usually at early positions

nelomec

nelomec

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
in this scenario, when he bets 2/3 of the pot, i would reraise or go all in, he will probably be holding an Ax higher and has completed a pair, if we make a re-raise he will call, to bring luck on our side, I would go all-in. But we must be aware that this senario, the chances of him winning are greater than ours, he would be holding cards that would win our set, until the river.

W

wavetune

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
the only thing that beats 3 3 here is K K , but by itself to collect a set on the flop is already considered a monster combination, if you have to lose with such a combination, then so be it
there is only one answer here it is all in

BillyR23

BillyR23

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
I'm surprised to see how many members would reraise or shove on the flop after the 2/3 pot C-bet... I mean, if we don't take into account our preflop mistake to call a 3-bet with just 33 against a TAG player, after the flop (IMO) we should never consider folding after flopping a set- I mean it's a dream flop for anyone that takes poker seriously and at this point the best strategy is to just let your opponent bet and check-call all the way down and hope for the best...

D

daniel888

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think raising is fine but I will prefer calling more than raising on the board Axx.