Now a lot of people use ICM late on, how to combat it.....

• Thread starter Nooneinparticular
  • Start date
A2345Razz

A2345Razz

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
+1 to what loon bat is saying...there simply is little to no edge at mid or high stakes hypers on PS...im glad you are up this month, but that hardly is meaningful statistically.

Lol, I feel like this thread should be from 2006ish...

15 hyper players DONT use ICM considerations in push fold?

Is this a joke.

I use it(though not perfectly) and im playing 5 dollar games....and I see it being used all the time.

Ill push any two all the time on the bubble with a stack and two similiarly sized smaller ones.

I might give one walk for image purposes bc of the stakes, etc.

N

Nooneinparticular

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When you have a stack against 2 smaller ones its simple to push. That isnt the scenario I talk about. What I talk about is when the there are 3 very similar stacks on the bubble, then it degenerates into the button pushes every time, so any edge by doing so is lost as all players do it. This only happens at $60 and quite often at $30, I never see it at $15. $15 it all gets much tighter and people do still and try and play by the strength of their hand.

The level of $15 play is far far worse (not saying everyone is worse, just there are quite a few bad plays done) than at $30. An example being at $15 the number of people who call all in with AJ when there are 2 all ins before them. At $30, 3 all ins only ever happens when you find JJ vs AK vs KK/AA, if the 3rd player has AQ-- then they fold at $30, but call at $15.

ICM might be used at $15 and below, but its by a minority of players, not like at $60 where is basically everyone.

So, back to how I aim to combat it, Im opening wider, much wider, say any Ace, any suited K, Q9s, J10s, any pocket pair, but you also need to be aware of sudden min raises or even flat calls as it mostly screams massive strength....

The other way to combat it is avoid those players, which is possible, but rather cowardly!

B

Big_Rudy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree that ICM usage by players in the lower levels is present, but definately in the minority. Also, nothing cowardly at all about avoiding good regs, if possible. Table selection, if available, is always going to be a big factor in determining just how successful you are going to be. Unfortunately, PS is unavailable to me and I'm limited to mostly the Merge network. The pool of STT players there is pretty small, so I usually don't have much option in table selecting and just have to play whatever is available. But, if you have options, it's always best to try to table-select appropriately.