Non-conventional range for early/late play in MTTs

MagicDick

MagicDick

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So I recently tried an experiment in my MTT strategy basically I am willing to play any suited hand which can still make a straight for up to 2 x the BB in any position.

It's interesting because I am seeing flops with A-2,3,4,5 but not with A,6,7,8,9

I still play pocket pairs aggressively depending on position and the bets before me.

I am hoping this adjustment takes away some of the shove/run variance that seems to hit me hard mid-late tournament.

mistershrimpy

mistershrimpy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So I recently tried an experiment in my MTT strategy basically I am willing to play any suited hand which can still make a straight for up to 2 x the BB in any position.

It's interesting because I am seeing flops with A-2,3,4,5 but not with A,6,7,8,9

I still play pocket pairs aggressively depending on position and the bets before me.

I am hoping this adjustment takes away some of the shove/run variance that seems to hit me hard mid-late tournament.
Do not forget to write the result of the experiment. We will wait for your report! Good luck!

U

Unashamed88

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Respecting position is a key component to the game of poker. Be very careful with this "any position" concept. Not to mention it just kinda becomes obvious to your better opponents that you have a wide range and they can shove you off a large portion of your range. That is why it is hitting you so hard in your mid-late games.

MagicDick

MagicDick

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Respecting position is a key component to the game of poker. Be very careful with this "any position" concept. Not to mention it just kinda becomes obvious to your better opponents that you have a wide range and they can shove you off a large portion of your range. That is why it is hitting you so hard in your mid-late games.

I actually found the perception to be an advantage late when I would tighten the range to premium pairs and high suited connectors.

VIP_TARIFF

VIP_TARIFF

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

First of all, think about the position in which you are. I want to know the results of your game, I believe in you. Keep us posted in your game.
Good luck at the tables.:icon_king

U

Unashamed88

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I actually found the perception to be an advantage late when I would tighten the range to premium pairs and high suited connectors.

Which is information you withheld from your original post...

MagicDick

MagicDick

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
First two attempts with this strategy I went pretty deep rocking a stack about 4X the average for most of the tournament. They were both top 10% finishes but not final table so no pay in freerolls.

Five or so attempts after I ran into a lot of early bust outs on situations where all my chips were on the line.

I am thinking about reducing the range but still keeping it wide enough to get outside of the 'tight' range.

MagicDick

MagicDick

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well yes you did you said it late/mid game was an issue.

That part of the tournament was the issue I was trying to solve by implementing the strategy in the first place. Sorry for the confusion I should have stated that more clear.

U

Unashamed88

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That part of the tournament was the issue I was trying to solve by implementing the strategy in the first place. Sorry for the confusion I should have stated that more clear.
Hahaha ohh!! Okay makes sense!

manzanillo53

manzanillo53

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I agree with playing those cards, do not like to play cards so far apart they would not play together. For me, even A 5 is a stretch unless suited of coarse.

T

tatalarata

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
ignoring position sounds like a bad idea, it should be a key component of your game. also this cannot be a static strategy, it should depend on the table dynamic. If the table is passive enough, sounds reasonable sure.

Serjo600

Serjo600

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Attachments

• общий чарт.jpg
    общий чарт.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 5