new tourney philosophy.

titans4ever

titans4ever

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Had a home game that I played a with a new stategy since I did not know most of the people playing. I normally just play solid poker from beginning to end and can change pace according to the table.

I tried the be loose early and see some flops when the blinds are small and show if you can so people can see your loose. Two of the first 4 hand had suited cards and played them to the showdown for not alot of money and got busted twice by not drawing and only having middle pairs.

I could not believe the action that allowed me when I did tighten up after the first 3 levels. People would call me on just about anything because of how I played early. I bullied people when junk and low stuff hit because they thought I must have caught a something. I was just laughing (inside only, I'm not a jerk at the table) because nobody could alter the early image they had of me. I took the chip lead and never looked back. Made playing that much easier.

P.S. Got the idea from the chatroom. Being a member has paid off.

Grumbledook

Grumbledook

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
good work, its always good to play the players at times, but sometimes you gotta get the cards as well

glad the forum has given you some ideas that you managed to pull off

let us know how it carrys on working out

Schatzdog

Schatzdog

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Mike Caro has a strategy he uses on certain occassions. He tries to lose 500 to 1000 bucks in the first 15 hands he plays. Not only that, but he wants his money to go to specific players at the table that he has targetted. Then he tightens up and gets it all back in spades.

I think you are right. Most people make an impression of you in the first 15 mins or so of playing and never re-assess.

S

StackThemUp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi,
glad to see it,i am an firm believer in seeing a lot of flops whilst its cheap and made my point strongly in the thread about this type of play.

I do believe grumble was set against it and i quote 'I have to say I disagree with seeing lots of flops when its cheap, its worthwhile if your sure you can out play your opponents or if you flop a monster hand, but chances are others are doing the same and you could come unstuck in a set over set situation or something.

The worst point about it though rather than the above is you are calling your stack off small bet by small bet. Its the worst way to play poker, like Will says don't play like a pussy.'

I am not having a dig but i am still offended by that comment and you haven't offered any explanation for it. Anyway glad you did well pokerfan, keep it up.
Regards John

Last edited:
X

xdmanx007

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
StackThemUp said:
Hi,
glad to see it,i am an firm believer in seeing a lot of flops whilst its cheap and made my point strongly in the thread about this type of play.

I do believe grumble was set against it and i quote 'I have to say I disagree with seeing lots of flops when its cheap, its worthwhile if your sure you can out play your opponents or if you flop a monster hand, but chances are others are doing the same and you could come unstuck in a set over set situation or something.

The worst point about it though rather than the above is you are calling your stack off small bet by small bet. Its the worst way to play poker, like Will says don't play like a pussy.'

I am not having a dig but i am still offended by that comment and you haven't offered any explanation for it. Anyway glad you did well pokerfan, keep it up.
Regards John
What comment are ya talking about? Anything I we need to look into?

P

Phoenix29

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Interesting strategy, especially the Mike Caro one, have any of you guys tried doing that and how was it?

S

StackThemUp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi Xd,
No nothing to get carried away with...just grumble made the comment that playing lots of flops early is the worst way to play poker and he didn't give any reason for it and now he's congratulating someone on the play. Thanks for asking anyway.
john

X

xdmanx007

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
StackThemUp said:
Hi Xd,
No nothing to get carried away with...just grumble made the comment that playing lots of flops early is the worst way to play poker and he didn't give any reason for it and now he's congratulating someone on the play. Thanks for asking anyway.
john
LOL That is most likely Grum dry sense of humor or he was planning on tracking the guy down and taking his money

K

km3_16

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Thats a great way to win a lotta money!! If u have that much to "lose" to someone u probably will win it back but if he gets up and walks after winning big, you out 1000 dollars.
I have started keeping an open opinion of the players at the tourneys that I play in because of the face that they may different early than later. GOOD TIPS!!

E

ehollywood

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I like to be really loose when nobody is raising big. That way people don't respect my bets and I can catch with some borderline hands. Though if there are some bullies at the table I just go ahead and let them bet. Then I can double up on them when I get the hands.

I

ItaliaHockey

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
goood plan, i try that with my friends but they all know how i play now so it doesnt wokr at all

L

Loser379

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I use that strategy often....

Damn, I thought I invented it until I saw you guys talking about it here.

Maybe, just maybe, it is common sense ,,, lol

There is absolutely no good reason going all-in before the flop early on(Any two cards can and do get outrun, frequently).
Unless, of course, you deem your after flop skills are in need of improvement.

Why not use the 1000-1500 chips wisely after a decent flop, you got 3 bets to get em all in... lol
You might get all the chips of 2 or 3 players ...

Yeah, you are best served limping into your first few pots with something respectable, after the flop ... IMO ...

BTW,

Hi guys, am new here ...

thelynx

thelynx

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
in big freerolls, i play in the beginning often small suited. in the ends almost just two big cards or pair even if the table is full with 10 players. Try it !!