Multi way pots when Short stacked

pirateglenn

pirateglenn

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
How many of you look for exactly these type of pots to jam all in when short stacked?

Sometimes when running card dead and in a turbo with killer blinds - its not enough to just double up and i find its a useful play especially with a marginal hand, obviously using position helps but im curious if anyone else plays this strategy at all.

Im obviously not looking to play just any 2 cards (although i have seen that) - often its when you have hit a piece of the pot and want to get it all in.

Thoughts welcome.

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I cant say I am looking for this particular spot to take advantage of but I am always looked for a spot that I have an edge I can exploit. Your right some player will play any 2 and end up loosing more than they should. Picking smart hands to do this is the way to go if you want to take this route.

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i try to never get as low of a stack to the point of it not being enough to double up. it might happen if i lose a hand, but i never purposely let my stack get that low. in my opinion, it's much better to jam 8 big blinds and take that risk and than to get too low.

of course, there are exceptions like icm and pay jumps, but if none of that is a concern, than it's better to jam sooner than later while you still have fold equity and a double up would put you in a much better situation.

i understand what you're saying about getting it in as a very short stack and playing a multiway pot all-in, it's a great way to triple up or better. if you have 3 bbs, that's 9-12 bbs you can pick up + blinds and antes. the only problem is you're playing multiway and your equity is going to be low (assuming you're getting it with a marginal hand) , so you have less of a chance to win. by jamming with more big blinds, even if it's a marginal hand, you still have fold equity and you have a better chance to isololate against one opponent, give you much better equity to win. if you jam 8 bbs and pick up the pot uncontested, that's +2.4 bb in blinds and antes, if you double up, you're at 18.4 bbs. both are much better results and less risk. of course, you want to be the one jamming first vs calling a jam. jamming with a marginal hand is not the same as calling a jam with a marginal hand.

Matt_Burns88

Matt_Burns88

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
i try to never get as low of a stack to the point of it not being enough to double up. it might happen if i lose a hand, but i never purposely let my stack get that low. in my opinion, it's much better to jam 8 big blinds and take that risk and than to get too low.

of course, there are exceptions like icm and pay jumps, but if none of that is a concern, than it's better to jam sooner than later while you still have fold equity and a double up would put you in a much better situation.

i understand what you're saying about getting it in as a very short stack and playing a multiway pot all-in, it's a great way to triple up or better. if you have 3 bbs, that's 9-12 bbs you can pick up + blinds and antes. the only problem is you're playing multiway and your equity is going to be low (assuming you're getting it with a marginal hand) , so you have less of a chance to win. by jamming with more big blinds, even if it's a marginal hand, you still have fold equity and you have a better chance to isololate against one opponent, give you much better equity to win. if you jam 8 bbs and pick up the pot uncontested, that's +2.4 bb in blinds and antes, if you double up, you're at 18.4 bbs. both are much better results and less risk. of course, you want to be the one jamming first vs calling a jam. jamming with a marginal hand is not the same as calling a jam with a marginal hand.

I agree with all of this. When you're very short shoving 3bbs into multiple villains is not going to give you much fold equity.

I actually prefer this tactic more as a bullying technique. If you're the big stack on a table of short and medium stacks, you can pick up a lot of dead money in limp pots by putting your opponents tournament lives at stake.