D

dariusgeorge

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello.

Let me just start by saying that I am an average player, have had my fair share of videos, articles, coaching sessions, stables, forum posts, from way back since pokerstrategy invaded the online world with their starting bankrolls (like 2010 or so). I know what variance means, I know that for a lot of the times you just get rekt, but for the last couple of years, for me at least, I've been more and more dissappointed with the idea of bots in the online games.
Now imo, this is still like a sensitive subject, or at least a lot of players want it to be, since you really want to keep playing and want to believe that you haven't spent so much time and effort with a pos activity that's just corrupted to the core. You don't WANT to believe that or you just think that you can play around it. And don't get me wrong, I am the same as everyone, except that I just wanted to address a community with this little frustration that I just have atm.
I just wanted to ask what is your opinion on this and furthermore, I would have some targeted questions.
So, sticking to the mtts and sats, I know that I'm not the only one that has tried to play a tourney or two that are too big for their br and tried reg-ing through a sattelite. We all do that from time to time and a lot of us get to play the bigger tourney, get the excitement of stakes, the players around us, the prizepool, the false impression that we are more focused and sticking to an ABC poker approach, when really we are playing scared money. A lot of these times we never even get ITM, or bust randomly on a bad played hand, or shoving a decent hand and losing to a bimbo call, just because we allowed our stack to fall below avg bbs. I for one, have made some final tables in some of these tourneys, won some freerolls too, won some micro tourneys, won some low tourneys, but also I must say that I still have much to learn and my experiences aren't as vast as others.
Ok, sorry for this big intro but I just feel that there are a lot of people out there, exactly like this, with small successes here and there, struggling to get better at this, but feel like they've hit a VERY BIG BRICK WALL.
We all used to grind some sats back in the day where you'd just get T$ and people would run a low risk build to their T$ balance and have fun while doing it and after, while affording to play whatever they wanted, without involving a big part of their br. I have no idea how it works now, but I have been targetting some players and remember seeing them quite a lot during the years, playing EVERY SINGLE sattelite there was, low-mid stakes. They never talk, (i know that a lot of players don't use the chat box either), have a firm grasp of ICM, of all hand charts and wether you play some tourneys, go to work, hang out with some friends after, come back to the computer, you find them still there, still grinding, still reg-ing, deep in some tourneys, so clearly, didn't JUST login. I know there are a lot of people grinding a lot of hours and having long sessions, but even the biggest maniacs take some days off from time to time. I am having a hard time finding them on any poker sites (like opr, sharkscope), or finding any info on them. They play almost all the sats that are running while the tourney is in late reg, WHILE playing the tourney itself. Now for me, that's pretty crazy.
The other idea going through my head is the fact that poker was always a game between players and the house would just get some rake, comission, whatever, but it wouldn't be the first field where the house unofficially wants some people on the inside and sites would be like "what the hell, sure", and would have a big spike in profits. Because, at the end of the day, I don't think that a Mr. and a Mrs are running a big platform like this "FOR THE PEOPLE THAT WANT TO PLAY AND HAVE A GOOD TIME ONLINE."
I would relate this to the big guarantees of some tourneys that run big late regs, with a lot of sats, almost always going into overlay. This wouldn't make too much sense, since the prize pool goes to the players anyway, but the "players" from the house would have a big percentage of that prizepool, scoring big runs in most of the games displayed for the public, therefore bringing more $$ to the house.
I have always considered myself a skeptic and always liked to see the reason behind everything I come in contact with and I can say that it is a type of learning that is hard, but has it's own rewards later. I know this sounds a bit off, I know it sounds like I'm a conspiracy douche, but as I've said before, I just want some other opinions on the matter.
My train of thought goes further but I will stop and hope this makes sense to you and will be a nice debate and solve some questions, some gaps, some leaks that we all have.

Good luck at the tables and keep it real !

foran

foran

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
the goal is to learn every day, when you don't learn your game decreases. I think the rooms will have a robot that collects money for them.

terryk

terryk

TheCanuckwithalltheluck
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Took 5 years George,but thats one hell of a post,,, :lollypop: Feel better? ;)

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Very long post and its sort of difficult to figure out, what your main point is? First of all where do you play? It sounds like, it might be on ACR? If so they are an unregulated site, so playing there is not as safe as playing on say pokerstars, partypoker or 888 Poker. Its also well known, that ACR have had their share of botting issues. So maybe some of those high volume grinders are actually bots. That is entirely possible and can not be ruled out.

As for MTTs with overlays I have also heard, that these are rather common on ACR. No idea if this is true, since I dont play there. But the official explanation is, that by letting them run with an overlay, ACR hope, they will eventually become more popular, so that the overlay stops, and ACR now has a larger player base.

Other sites like PokerStars and 888 Poker generally dont have overlays in their MTTs. PokerStars very rarely have them, and certainly not in those tournaments that run daily. 888 Poker had fairly many overlays last summer, because volume declined, as COVID-19 restrictions were lifted. But they quickly adjusted by reducing quaranties and taking some MTTs down entirely.

At the end of the day find out, why you are playing, and what your goals with poker are. And if you can only play on unregulated sites like ACR, then decide, if this is something, you still need in your life. Maybe live poker is a better option, if you have enough bankroll, or just do something entirely different with your time.

theANMATOR

theANMATOR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It sounds like, it might be on ACR? If so they are an unregulated site, so playing there is not as safe as playing on say PokerStars, PartyPoker or 888 Poker. Its also well known, that ACR have had their share of botting issues. So maybe some of those high volume grinders are actually bots. That is entirely possible and can not be ruled out.
Not to shill for ACR but I guess I have to since this is incorrect information. Do some research beyond the site you play on exclusively before regurgitating what one PLO player said over 5 years ago and a couple conspiracy minded low stakes cash game grinders say about bots.
ACR reports when they catch bots - and returns the money to the affected players.
Those other 'regulated' sites don't even report when they catch bots. Uni-bet does - I guess - are they even regulated? The other sites just tell the effected players, nobody else needs to know. Because it happens just as often - if not more than on unregulated sites.

2nd - the bot sites themselves say ACR is the most difficult site to put a bot on. I didn't do this inspection myself - because I dont want any impropriety on my name - even looking up those CHEATERS, however - several youtubers and streamers have done this research - and have found of all the poker sites ACR is the most secure vs these cheating bots.

Lastly - of all the bots caught by ACR in the past - I can only remember 2 that were ever in anything other than on a cash table. And the returns for those two bots was something like 3 bucks to less than a table full of players. Cause bots can't handle anything other than cash and SnG tables. Want to avoid bots - stay away from cash and SnGs and probably jackpot - luckbox situations.

So now ya know and can do the research yourself if you want.

The rest of your post is great - informative and helpful.