MTTs - 5 Minutes Break

B

BohRhaps

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
What do you think - are 5 minutes give you enough break in each hour?
Would you reduce or incrase that number, or it is just the optimal in online poker?
I think 5 mins is apt

mkdrummey

mkdrummey

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It depends. 5 minutes isn't really long enough to do more than 1 thing. I might need a coffee and a smoke and bathroom and find I can't manage all in 5 minutes. Not a problem if you're well stacked in a game but if I'm short I don't really want to be auto folding blinds.

D

donYaro

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think 5 min is absolutely enough

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
It is a modest time for a break. Sometimes we need more, or much more and some times we don' t need break or we need a small. As the game moves, break becomes more annoying! It is something which is needed!

adriantempo

adriantempo

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
I would like to rest for 10 minutes each hour, just like in school. It's better for health.

S

StreetPhd

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Sometimes it's a bit of a rush if you are doing multiple things like...
Warming a plate of leftovers
Opening a cold one
Checking texts and emails
Checking on scores of sporting events
Going to the bathroom
Actually after looking at this, it's doable in five if you are organized.

Riccoboni

Riccoboni

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Would you reduce or incrase that number, or it is just the optimal in online poker?

For me, that time is enough. I can get a drink, or I go take a piss. I think that's enough.

rictor99

rictor99

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Most of the time, the breaks annoy me. I wonder if anyone has ever done a stamina tourney with no breaks?

greatgame230

greatgame230

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think differently from the majority, I think that they should at least double it but maybe 15 minutes is preferable. In each tournament those 5 minutes only give me time to smoke a cigarette, if it were longer it would allow you to have time to rest mentally and relax before start another hour, for me 5 minutes is very little I would prefer 15 minutes

Johnny78B

Johnny78B

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
For me it's a good enough to have a cigarette and make a cup of coffee. Already used to this time break, feeling pretty comfortable with that and no need for me to decrease or increase it.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Its obviously a balance. If breaks get to long, some people will start to feel bored, and might not play again, which is obviously bad for poker sites and the game. Longer breaks will also increase the duration of MTTs and give less hands per hour, which is bad for people playing for profit. So while a bit of the short side I do think, the 5 minute breaks are appropriate.

My best advice is to not sweat it, if you happen to miss the first hand or two after the break. Its typically not going to matter much to the end result, and if you have a time bank, it will be run down, before your hand is folded. So dont feel, that you must sit and wait for play to resume to not miss out on anything. Its completely fine to be a bit casual about returning to the screen after a break. And by the same token if you need to make a pee, it dont always have to wait until the next break :)

C

chakalaka

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Don't blame yoursefl if autofolded AA just after the break :p it happens. Even in live tournament. We all just people, not a robots. But sometimes I'm taking my laptop to the toilet :D
5 mins are enough for me. Sometimes can be longer or shorter. Even if I'm on the final table on pokerstars I've never marked "I'm ready".

pitoplay

pitoplay

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
5 minute break is already a part ritual of me in mtts :)

W

woodeng

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think the 5 minute break is adequate. If you need more you can always hit the 'sit out' button for a few more minutes depending on the position you were in when the break began.

frank174

frank174

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would like them to replace the 5 minute break every hour by changing it to a 10 or 15 minute break every 2 and half hours,don't see the need to break every hour,when I play live you don't get up and break every hour

foran

foran

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
five minutes is enough to go to the bathroom and drink water.

L

LFC_yllnwa

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think when the tournament started, 5 minutes is really enough to stay in the rhythm of the game, but when you play several hours or several large tournaments at the same time, 5 minutes is not enough to cool your head and reboot a little.. It may be worth increasing the time in large tournaments to 7 or 10 minutes. Or, I'm thinking of increasing the break time gradually with a final limit of 15 minutes. It would be great if the break time is increased relative to the increase in the blinds :)

Austria7

Austria7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For me 5 minutes is very little, I would prefer 7 – 8 minutes. That is half the time more to briefly relax mentally and physically. This would also be possible and feasible in the online poker rooms, breaks of 10 minutes and longer probably not.

A

Angelof89

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
5 minute break in MTT is good. You have enough time to smoke or go to WC. Your brain needs a break from playing long sessions.

manuela2910

manuela2910

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think five minutes Break is enough. I can smoke , Drink some...