MTTs - 5 Minutes Break

jackpot789

jackpot789

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends. 5 minutes isn't really long enough to do more than 1 thing. I might need a coffee and a smoke and bathroom and find I can't manage all in 5 minutes. Not a problem if you're well stacked in a game but if I'm short I don't really want to be auto folding blinds.
Start brewing your coffee and by the time you're done smoking on the toilet, your beverage will be ready.

S

SharkFinn

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think 5 mins is perfect, you can always miss a few hands if you need longer

KRANKES

KRANKES

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm pretty much used to 5 minutes, that's perfect. But I must say I am allowed to smoke while playing. Without that, 10 minutes would be better.

rock0001

rock0001

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i think that in deep stacked mtt with a slow structure that last too many hours every 3 or 4 hours there should be a 10 or 15 minute break instead of only 5 every time.

dallam

dallam

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thank you for your answers. Most of you think that this system works, and thats really good to hear.
Personally not mentioning that I'm smoking as well, and trying to not do it in every single break, sometimes eating and showering, talking with my relatives can be not put in this period. And theres not a worse experience after a 55 minutes concentration to rush your break.
In my opinion looking your replies, a 5 minute then a 10 minute break would be more wiser, and these could change over and over till the Mtt is done.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you are not into grinding for 5-6 hours with only fixed 5 minute breaks, you could consider another format than MTTs. With cash games and SnGs you can create your own breaks and make them however long or short, you want to.

R

romamirr

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What do you think - are 5 minutes give you enough break in each hour?
Would you reduce or incrase that number, or it is just the optimal in online poker?
Five minutes is just right, nothing needs to be changed. If, for example, they take a longer break, then there will be less time for the game. The clock flies quickly that sometimes you don't notice how time passes.:)

ObbleeXY

ObbleeXY

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Ugh...five minutes is enough time for a trip to the loo, but that is about it. It is not enough time for a smoke or a coffee...which sucks (for me),

But as the are tourneys planned by others, I have no issue with it really. It does piss me off that on pokerstars, the transfer function (from PC to phone) is really hit and miss with CC freerolls. Yesterday, it simply wouldn't transfer the game...so I was irritated. Luckily, I decided to take a break, put my game on "sit out" and went for a leisurely break, came back and managed to cash. On reviewing the missed hands, I did miss out on 2 straight up "best hand on the river" hands, but would possibly not have made it to the river given the betting.

All that said, it really pisses me off that we do not have more choice when setting up home games. My live home game used to have 15 minute breaks (which sometimes stretched to 30min if people wanted a second smoke). Sure our game stretched to midnight instead of 10:30-11:00 as in the online version. But as I play late on Friday/Saturday/Sunday, the timing is not much of an issue.

I do not understand why there aren't more options built in to the home games. Greed I suppose. Stars would be happier if everyone was playing hyper-turbo with no breaks so they can accelerate their profits.

Sure do miss the days of "smoker's rights"!

Cheers,
ObbleeXY

B

bobor19871987

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
bobor19871987

What do you think - are 5 minutes give you enough break in each hour?
Would you reduce or incrase that number, or it is just the optimal in online poker?
sometimes I had 5 minutes to do what I would like to do during the break, but when there is no choice, I have to be satisfied with the style

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
5 minutes is certainly very short, but quite acceptable, although I would make some changes !!! For example, a 10-15 minute break (long break) every three hours of play in one tournament !!!

G

glebchekotin

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Its always different, sometimes im ready to play without pauses at all and other day im checking time every 5 minutes

kley126

kley126

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
I think it's standard in online tournaments if you lower it would be very little and if it lengthens that time you can imagine what would last on averagea tournament

zwbb

zwbb

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
5 minutes is very normal. I would take that break off the final table. And so it is completely suitable.

gaarsiass

gaarsiass

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
PL
Chips
For me is optimal. Can i go toilet ot prepare coffe. If for someone is to less i recommend Play cash games. :)