MTT vs. SNG ROI

ventrolloquist

ventrolloquist

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi, which of these tournament variants has a higher ROI? I'm curious about typical ROI's across all stakes.

Also, which has less variance?

I realize a lot of factors go into this like number of players etc., but just wondering about general trends.

pentazepam

pentazepam

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
SE
Chips
MTTs have the highest variance in terms of unstable income. You can play months online and years live without a big win (top placement). The bigger the field the more variance (defined this way at least).

Big MTTs are like a lottery where the good players have a little more than one ticket but not as many as two.

ROI comes down to your edge/skill level in the long run. But in MTTs it can be hard to estimate because the long run is very long.

The advantage with MTTs is that in general the players are worse than in cash (or even SnGs) but if you have the skill to beat the stake often build a roll with cash or SnGs.

After that you can test the MTTs with your profit.

I

IRONMAN3

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
well it all depends of what strats are you more conftable with coz for you could be more profitable to play SNG so the ROI for you playing SNG would be bigger.
not all players are good at MTT, some play MTT others SNG, cash and so.
but the best ROI you can get its up to you and your game style.
find your game and strat and give them hell :)

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think, there are more ways for skill edge to show in MTTs. You have deeper stacks in the beginning, and even later on average stack size will be larger on average, unless its a turbo. There is also the fatique factor especially in large MTTs, where you might have played 8 hours before reaching the final table. The player best able to handle this has a great edge.

SnGs are more mechanical and close to solved, so the cap on ROI is almost certainly lower. But as others have said, you reach the long term faster. SnGs are also a good way to practice for MTTs, because you get to the bubble and short handed play much more often.

If you play 1.000 player MTTs, you might have played 100, before you get to a final table. And since the money at stake is now many times your original buyin, its nice to have some experience with this situation from smaller tournaments like SnGs.

ventrolloquist

ventrolloquist

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks guys :). All these explanations are great.

Are there ever such things as online MTT's where most of the final table gets to split winnings? I assume it's usually top 2 or 3 but was wondering if other options exist as it would lower variance a lot

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
MTTs will usually have higher ROIs than SNGs, but I think $/hr is a much better metric to look at.

ventrolloquist

ventrolloquist

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
MTTs will usually have higher ROIs than SNGs, but I think $/hr is a much better metric to look at.
So what kind of per hour differences can be expected at various stakes?

P

PLAYFUL1

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I feel that the MTT is the higher return on investment than SNG depending on the size of the buyin

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
So what kind of per hour differences can be expected at various stakes?

Thats a very difficult question, but what going through the exercise of trying to maximize your hourly should show you is what your "optimal" mix is. For example you may not be able to fill your screen/s with 18mans, but maybe you can if you mix in 24mans. Or if your favorite tourneys take six hours you may want to mix in other games in the beginning and end of your session.

It may make sense to take a lower ROI on some games to increase your hourly earnings.

ventrolloquist

ventrolloquist

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thats a very difficult question, but what going through the exercise of trying to maximize your hourly should show you is what your "optimal" mix is. For example you may not be able to fill your screen/s with 18mans, but maybe you can if you mix in 24mans. Or if your favorite tourneys take six hours you may want to mix in other games in the beginning and end of your session.

It may make sense to take a lower ROI on some games to increase your hourly earnings.
Thanks for the calrifying. Sounds complicated, better whip out the spreadsheet and start logging my hourly I guess [emoji1] .