MTT early stage - already ITM, kinda...

killing_random

killing_random

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For example, my stack size 14th of 292 and I wouldn't mind to stay this way till I become 14th of 14.

What's the best way to keep that's already yours?

Desktop Screenshot 20210409   22315422

AntA_KO_v

AntA_KO_v

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think the best way is stealing blinds and not to call allins... this strategy is quite boring but will let you keep your advance untill ITM as minimum and will give you a real chances to run deep in tournament.

course other players will slowly chipup and make your position lower and lower but you will not nerves to loose your stack =) GL on the tables!

K

karl coakley

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Really that is the wrong mindset.

The short answer is your not going to...

In your example the next blind is 50/100, no where near the money. Everyone has a point in a tournament where you run good, it's the other parts that determine how you place.

I can't think of any tournament where I made the final table where I was top 20 the whole time. You are going to take beats.

The key to winning is to stay ahead of the blinds and in the game. Looking at the stack sizes is just a distraction.

G

Gusborgs22

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Stealing blinds and waiting for premium hands
You have to make pressure into the small stacks two, stop thinking that "Oh, they have 10bb, will shove with anything". With small bets you can make then fold.

F

Fenoman

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Strategy

For example, my stack size 14th of 292 and I wouldn't mind to stay this way till I become 14th of 14.

I have been in this situation lots of times, if you stop earning chips you will probably finish 50th place, I will wait for premium hands and try to steal pots when I am dealer or blind with 1 or 2 people in the pot and when they look passive in the hand.

theANMATOR

theANMATOR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Just play poker bud. It is nearly impossible to run good early and stay in the top 10 in chips for the entire length of the tourney.

I once tripled up very early with KKs. Was in the top 5 in chips for nearly 3 hours. Had some other nice pots drag my way and kept the momentum all the way up to late registration closing. Then late registration closed - and I didn't see a playable hand - in any spot for over 1 entire hour. I folded from one break to the next and about 20 minutes after the next break. The best hand I had for that entire time span was J/T off in the small blind with 3 players that opened in front of me. Even here I didn't want to play the hand - but I had been folding for over an hour.
I flopped top pair with a flush on board I check one guy jams on the flop and another guy calls his jam. I smartly fold - the one guy had A/J the other guy had KKs.

I ended up getting a nice double after ITM and finished in the top 40 out of something like 6000+ players, but the point remains - I had a huge stack early and - was not able to sustain that - because what I experienced was the worst card dead streak ever.

Just play poker :)

swimbles

swimbles

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Quite honestly mate the place you're in early on in a tournament has very little influence on how a tournament is going to end up.

You could win a 20 BB pot your first hand in the tourney and be chip-leading, but does that mean you'll most likely finish first in the tournament? Of course not.

While the chips are good to have regardless of circumstances, a tourney is long and your stack will fluctuate wildly throughout, so unless you're just playing for a min cash, effectively sitting out early will do you no good.

theANMATOR

theANMATOR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
ALWAYS TRY TO STAY AT AVERAGE STACK SIZE

View attachment 288819

I was thinking about this thread over the evening, for some reason, and one thing a pro once said - sometime somewhere has stuck with me, and it honestly makes a lot of sense.

He said - essentially - always try to keep at or above the average stack size. If you do this for the entire tourney - you will either come in 1st or 2nd. :)
Its kinda obvious looking at it like that - but it's true.
If we dont worry about chip leading, and always try to keep at least average stack size we will have a shot at FT and top 3 every tourney we play. Its a ponder-able statement. :cool:

jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

View attachment 288819

Well...it's early so you should understand that on the way to the final 14, you might go from 14/292 to 36/186 to 54/129 to 33/99 to 9/45 to 10/27 ...etc.

Do you see my point?

It will fluctuate, but you need to pay attention to how your play in trending. If you are balancing your aggression well (and using your stack to your advantage), you should know whether or not your current play is trending you toward cashing (or better yet, final tabling). :)

jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I was thinking about this thread over the evening, for some reason, and one thing a pro once said - sometime somewhere has stuck with me, and it honestly makes a lot of sense.

He said - essentially - always try to keep at or above the average stack size. If you do this for the entire tourney - you will either come in 1st or 2nd. :)
Its kinda obvious looking at it like that - but it's true.
If we dont worry about chip leading, and always try to keep at least average stack size we will have a shot at FT and top 3 every tourney we play. Its a ponder-able statement. :cool:

This is a pretty solid statement because it puts you into the survival mindset, which is highly successful in MTTs (laddering up!), while also recognizing the need to "stay afloat."

MishkaZL

MishkaZL

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
The best way is not to play with junk, to wait patiently for a good situation, only with the prospect of doubling.

nuttea

nuttea

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

View attachment 288819
it will be impossible to leave the same position, because the structure of the tournaments is such that if you no longer take any action, then by the time there are 14 players left in the tournament, your stack will be eaten long ago by other opponents. a rather strange question, in fact) but a banal advice is to continue to play in your style and play well, without making mistakes, then more and more often you will have higher positions

Juan Oro

Juan Oro

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Expand your range of hands only when you are in position on your opponents, you can also attack the weakest at your table or the most grabbed and you can amass chips by taking the blinds and try not to get involved in large pots out of position so he created that you will keep your stack of chips a little more, playing good hands and avoid crossing with another opponent who has a large stack of chips like you unless you have good hands to play.

lcid86

lcid86

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Early stack is great, but not if you play not to lose. No different than playing tight at the bubble. You will miss out on opportunities and the blinds will drain your stack.