MTT Bankroll Management

lucas24

lucas24

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I read and I heard many times that an advisable bank to play MTT is at least 100 buy-ins but I don't feel comfortable with that. To play without pressure I need to have at least 200+ buy-ins. What is the bankroll you need to feel safe playing??

X

xy23

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Probably 100x but I remember feeling much more comfortable with 200x when playing tourneys on Bovada. With everyone being nameless there and with no information at all, just felt like there was a tad more variance

V

vittopio

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The size depends on your game! If you hit these limits is sufficient and 100. And if you do not strike it's better to go down to below the limit! So you'll feel more comfortable and play better!

Iryna Stryzheuskaya

Iryna Stryzheuskaya

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
Psychological comfort is very important. Do as convenient for you personally. Better more BI in a bankroll than less.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I am personally fine spending 1% of my bankroll on a tournament or sometimes even a bit more. But I dont stick to only one tournament limit, so in reality I use an average buyin strategy, and for my average buyin I typically have at least 200 bullets in the bank.

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
For me it depend on the field size. If the average size of the tournament had 800+ people I think 100 buy in is not really enough. but if you are playing tournament with 100-150 people 100 buy in i good enough.

Personally, if you feel more comfortable with a larger bankroll, it OK.

kraemer

kraemer

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i think 100 buy ins should be enough to be safe if your game is actually good enough for the limit. but if you feel that you play a better game with 200 buy-ins in the bank then do it that way. there is no sense in playing under pressure just fulfill the 100 buy in "rule".

antonis32123

antonis32123

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
I read and I heard many times that an advisable bank to play MTT is at least 100 buy-ins but I don't feel comfortable with that. To play without pressure I need to have at least 200+ buy-ins. What is the bankroll you need to feel safe playing??

Well I am not good , so yes , I would prefer to have more than 100 buy-ins to play a tournament . Also I try very good or cheap satellites , also I want to have success in the lower (micro) levels before leveling up to higher buy-in tournaments , anything else is meaningless and hurt very much my bankroll :)

hugh blair

hugh blair

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Depending on your self control of course but think you should have many different obstacles and restrictions in place to avoid financial ruin.
Keep 99% or 99.5% or more of your roll offline! hard to reach no easy reload access in case tilt monster strikes and whatever you put online that session be prepared to lose it without getting upset but go for the wins without pressure or worry of losing too much chasing losses.
If run that 1% up a bit start to feel tired withdraw something exclude yourself with sites responsible gambling tools if thinking just one more hand 100s of hands later:goodnight wait for another day that you feel fresh.:vroam:

Last edited:
AKQ

AKQ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I feel safe with 1 buyin I utilize no bankroll management skills and want to see numbers roll Lol:D
I like money:cool:

D

dorynel7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Confortable is 100 buy-in for mtt tournaments.

Ryan Laplante

Ryan Laplante

CardsChat Pro
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
200 buyins minimum if it's a game you regularly play.

500+ if you grind near full time.

1000+ if you are full time pro.

P

popstani

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Bigger is better!!! That’s what she said

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
As someone mentioned already the required bankroll will tend to increase with the size of the tournament. 100 buyins is enough for smaller tournaments, but if you always play tournaments with 1.000 or even more participants, its not enough.

The reason is, that even in such large fields, a big chunk of the price money goes to the top. The winner alone might take 20% or 200 buyins, so its common sense, that you will be trailing behind your long term results, until you actually win one, and that this can be for a very significant amount of money and last for very many tournaments.

If however you only play large tournaments now and then, and your daily grind is in cash games, SnGs or small tournaments, then this does not really matter, because you will have a way to win back that money, you might lose on the big tournaments, until you take on of them down. Then you can see the entry to the big tournament as a kind of lottery ticket, and if you fail to win in the lottery this time, its no big deal.

Some tournaments are actually so large, that you will never get past variance. The Sunday Million for instance is now a 10.000+ player affair, which mean, that even if you play it every weak, you can not expect to reach the final table more than one time every 20 years.

M

mengarda

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
If your goal is just fun, you don't have to worry about banking management

Bankroll Building - Bankroll Management