***Momentus May Tournament Thread***

thebigdawg

thebigdawg

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hard to make a run when you got this going on. Happens all the time, I know...but it hurts when your trying to start a roll from nothing.

Going try and get my payout from BetOnline tomorrow since they have the discount thing on Friday's...hopefully that will go smoothly.

GL all.

Attachments

• ggff.jpg
    ggff.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 90
D

David G

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Had my HU opponent all in 3 times pre FTW, JJvsK9, AK vs AT, and finally 99 VS KT flopped a set but still no goot..

I busted 2nd and still can't get the ever elusive win. Been a looong time now :)

It's all good though. I'd highly advise all you MTT players to play some cash or other on the side. It's been huge for me and helps the ever disappointment from not taking center stage :)

Matt Vaughan

Matt Vaughan

King of Moody Rants
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Had my HU opponent all in 3 times pre FTW, JJvsK9, AK vs AT, and finally 99 VS KT flopped a set but still no goot..

I busted 2nd and still can't get the ever elusive win. Been a looong time now :)

It's all good though. I'd highly advise all you MTT players to play some cash or other on the side. It's been huge for me and helps the ever disappointment from not taking center stage :)

Bummer! But it sounds like you got your money in good, and that's what counts. Perhaps even more heads-up, since it's so variance-heavy at times. Cash can be good, lower variance for one thing, but it's so so so different. I'm working on my cash game atm, and it's been tough for me to adjust from MTT donkaments to the super-micro cash tables.

thebigdawg

thebigdawg

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Got me withdrawal from BetOnline today, which means both my Carbon and BO accounts are bone-dry. A lot of free-rolling for the next few days, try and put together another roll!

J

Johnnybmoto

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Leave for vegas on saturday. Playing the first three events of the wsop. Ship a bracelet one time!!!

B

Big_Rudy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Leave for vegas on saturday. Playing the first three events of the WSOP. Ship a bracelet one time!!!

Wow, GL man. TID. I'm kind of jealous, actually. I used to live in Cali, and would often be sure to be in Vegas for at least part of the WSOP (though I never actually played). Now that I live in nowheresville, Ohio I usually don't have that option anymore. Anyway, good-luck and run good.

B

BlueNowhere

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Got me withdrawal from BetOnline today, which means both my Carbon and BO accounts are bone-dry. A lot of free-rolling for the next few days, try and put together another roll!
Why not just deposit? Trying to freeroll a roll together is so far from optimal and if you're good enough to build a roll you miss out on so much ev.

B

Big_Rudy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Why not just deposit? Trying to freeroll a roll together is so far from optimal and if you're good enough to build a roll you miss out on so much ev.

^^This. 100%. Never understood the logic behind this either. Unless you're flat broke. Otherwise just skip going out for a night or two, take that money and deposit, profit.

B

BluffYou123

Back in the Game
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Lots of players are fascinated with the whole build a roll from nothing. I was that guy too when I started playing. It's that scumbag Chris Fergusons fault. Depositing and building from there is so much easier and less time consuming.

Matt Vaughan

Matt Vaughan

King of Moody Rants
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
To be fair, BetOnline is probably one of the best places to try to build a roll just from freerolls. They have hourly freerolls with extremely fishy competition, a half-decent structure (for a freeroll), and they actually pay out an appropriate number of spots imo.

I started a roll from scratch there but also understand why you'd probably want to deposit there or really anywhere else. At Merge I did eventually have a roll from playing freerolls, but after working $5 up to $20 and then losing a bit more of it I just decided to deposit. It's not so much that it's impossible to grind from zero, but when you have 50% of your roll on a table or riding on a tourney or SNG (if you use aggressive BRM in the beginning), it's so hard to play good poker, at least in my experience.

B

Big_Rudy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah, it's not that it's impossible at all. I just feel that, in many cases there is a better way. Just deposit. I mean there are players on here who have spent months getting to $20, or $50, from zero. So, they obv have the skill to do it, but if instead of working so hard to make $50 from nothing they simply deposited $50 to begin with; they'd be so much further ahead in the long run from not having to spend so much time playing freerolls and super-micro or nano stakes poker.

B

BlueNowhere

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Lots of players are fascinated with the whole build a roll from nothing. I was that guy too when I started playing. It's that scumbag Chris Fergusons fault. Depositing and building from there is so much easier and less time consuming.

It's not an awful idea for a beginner but for anyone who has shown they can win it's horrible.

B

BluffYou123

Back in the Game
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's not an awful idea for a beginner but for anyone who has shown they can win it's horrible.

Agreed. Freerolling is a good way to start cos you're not gonna be much good and you can learn the ropes without throwing money away. It just puzzles me when people that have proved they can build a roll at micro stakes repeatedly withdraw everything and start from scratch.

Matt Vaughan

Matt Vaughan

King of Moody Rants
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would never advocate withdrawing everything to start from scratch. I agree that would be foolish, and for some, disastrous. I know a lot of people struggle moving down in stakes because they don't care about the amount of money they are playing with. So I think that alone can be somewhat dangerous. Then add the fact that you will have to fight your way back up to any sizable bankroll.... Bleh. I'm very happy I deposited.

O

only_bridge

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sick variance in poker.

Been running cold most of month, but looks like a good end of the month safes my result.
Mostly just been running better.

But I think folds like this one is part of it as well:

On the bubble of a sat, i.e. 5th gets nothing 1st-4th gets ticket.

poker stars $15.00+$1.50 No Limit Hold'em Tournament - t200/t400 Blinds + t50 - 5 players - View hand 1780642
DeucesCracked Poker Videos Hand History Converter
BB: t9800 M = 11.53
UTG: t7065 M = 8.31
Hero (CO): t6565 M = 7.72
BTN: t10204 M = 12.00
SB: t11866 M = 13.96
Pre Flop: (t850) Hero is CO with Q Q
1 fold, Hero raises to t840, 1 fold, SB raises to t2700, BB raises to t9750 all in, 2 folds

Shufflin

Shufflin

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm open shoving there, but maybe that's why I stink at Sattellites :)

Bumped my 18-seat ROI up to 13% (150 games) for the month, so feeling pretty good myself!

Hope everyone else has had a decent month!

Pascal-lf

Pascal-lf

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
yea easy shove in a satellite when youre short stack

O

only_bridge

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I liked my line of play better.
But I see your point.

B

BluffYou123

Back in the Game
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Had a decent month as far as volume goes with some decent scores but ended up in the red. :( Reasonably happy with my play but always room for improvement.

B

Big_Rudy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Can't complain about the month, except not enough volume, as always. Only played 250-ish $2.20 STTs, managed 27% roi though, so I'm not complaining. BR for these games now at $400.

B

BlueNowhere

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Another crap month, barely played any volume though so my fault really (really need to stop playing MTT, they just wipe out all my HU profit lol, about -30% ROI this year). Decided to self exclude for a month till my exams are done then i can get in like 1000games/week in summer holidays and build up a BR for Uni and I'll review the feasibility of playing semi professionally and avoiding having to get a real job at Uni. Going to have to put a shitload of work into my game and aim for playing $15's by september and mid stakes by christmas.

Also going to have to look at some numbers and think about moving to cash, grinding to 50NL then trying HU cash (only thing that puts me off is bumhunting pricks).

JohnBoyWWFC

JohnBoyWWFC

Grindddddd
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I had a pretty decent month, considering I wasn't meant to play much, best month this year actually, probably up about $900 plus now I get myself a staker :)