Are micro tournaments worth it?

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think , if you want to play for living (or "semi), you must play at least $5, $3 rebuy or hyper. As minimum. If you play smaller MTTs for "money", not for fun, they just not worth it.

Definitely agree with this. Any kind of micro stakes games and especially the lower end of the micros like 1-2$ tournaments or 2-5NL cash is either for fun or practicing. Its not for making money and actually not even "to build a bankroll", as so many people do. If OP gets to a point, where he feel, that he is beating those 1-1,5$ 45-180 man SnGs on Stars, then his best option in my opinion is to withdraw his funds and deposit 500$ on another poker site like 888 Poker and then start to play 2-5$ MTTs there. The point being, that even if he lack say 200$ for the proper bankroll, there are much faster ways to earn those money than by playing 1-2$ MTTs. At least this is true, if you live in a country with decent salaries.

M

Mvr96

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I did the same thing at first and always hit all in to the maniacs
I am now playing in the 45 SNG on pokerstars and I have managed to finish 1st 2 times, so definitely the patience is the key.
Definitely see what you're saying.

My biggest weakness has been giving in to the manics shoving all in constantly early on. As a result I have busted out on a number of occasions.
I'm now being much more patient and thinking through what my line is.

I have started playing in the $1 SNG on Pokerstars as was suggested earlier up in this thread. You should give one of them a try - I noticed a huge difference in the style of play.

J

johnoman

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I did the same thing at first and always hit all in to the maniacs
I am now playing in the 45 SNG on pokerstars and I have managed to finish 1st 2 times, so definitely the patience is the key.

That's good! Well done to you for sticking that out.

There is hope! Haha

MAGICUZ

MAGICUZ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Micro tournaments are a waste of time, it is better to qualify for a major tournament via a satellite. Who has a lot of time, micro tournaments can play,but for me it's a waste of time:(

D

danydidi

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
sure it is , you start with small ammount and then if your good you can go to bigger tournaments and then .....
thats what i do

BigCountryAA

BigCountryAA

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I always start my bankrolls using freerolls and micro stakes tournies. If something "black-fridayish" happens again I never have any of my own money at risk. So to me they are definitely worth it even if only to build a bankroll.

KrazyKoo

KrazyKoo

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
FI
Chips
You can take shots at bigger buy-ins, less random there. Mix it up! Play all buy-ins

Jim Rivas

Jim Rivas

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Are the small 0.25¢ buy in tournaments worth playing?

I find these very difficult to play but don't know whether a higher buy in tournament would be more difficult.
The micro tourneys seem full of maniacs going all in constantly.

Is it better to play in larger buy in tournaments where you start with a bigger stack?
Friend, everything that you think is a better solution or decision you should experience for yourself, if you notice in your thread the answers are varied, some in favor and others against. Playing at a low level, you need to adapt to everyone's games including maniacs, each level has its own strategy. Play, experiment and where you feel best stay there and adapt.:driver:

J

johnoman

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Friend, everything that you think is a better solution or decision you should experience for yourself, if you notice in your thread the answers are varied, some in favor and others against. Playing at a low level, you need to adapt to everyone's games including maniacs, each level has its own strategy. Play, experiment and where you feel best stay there and adapt.:driver:

Thanks for that :)

nuttea

nuttea

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

I find these very difficult to play but don't know whether a higher buy in tournament would be more difficult.

Is it better to play in larger buy in tournaments where you start with a bigger stack?

I think it's best to avoid such tournaments as soon as possible and move to a higher limit. they are worth attention only if you really have no opportunity above. if there is one, go for $ 1 and more

A

alien666dj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think that it is worth playing them in order to gain experience and gradually move up the limits. While playing regular tournaments, not turbo, hyper turbo, super hyper turbo.

J

jerargent

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think if you feel comfortable at that Buy In level, they are worth it.
I recommend that you be very tight at first, as this is when all maniacs do any type of movement just for fun. And when you have a medium or strong hand, put all your chips.
As the stages go by, the more serious players remain and it is already a more playable poker.

L

luki_jakdo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

It depends how high your bankroll is.... low buy in tournaments are still worth playing in my opinion. :)

black and

black and

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I think that your chances of winning do not depend on the cost of the tournament, but on your skills and experience. Even if you play in a $ 10 buy-in tournament, that doesn't mean you won't meet a maniac at the table.

7CardKillR

7CardKillR

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
LBI micros are about getting your chops down and getting familiar with the interface. sure you can grind out a few pennies playing them but they are way more about practice than the money. Plus they are a great source of laughs. Nothing wrong with putting A "C" note on there and spinning it up. the biggest problem is almost impossible to get any kind of volume because until your playing like 1.50s on ACR+ a few others you just cant find enough games to play to overcome normal variance. the high side is the players are unusually bad and your unlikely to find players as bad at any other stakes. I feel the freerolls at cards chat and jackpot are a better source of practice than $.10 to $.50 micros

Q

Qrise

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

yes, you are right, there are many players at micro stakes who go all in. Best of all, the game at micro stakes takes place in the MTT bounty for 0.55
if you want to play micro stakes

theANMATOR

theANMATOR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Paying my dues

Hey John, for myself - I have only been playing since Feb of last year. I studied for about half a year before that while playing play money.
So when I started - I felt obliged to grind at the lowest level - to pay my dues, and also to learn to play period. At the lowest level it was very cheap to learn how best to play my game, and also I wanted to have the feeling of "graduating" moving up in stakes.
Even though it was HELL - not going to lie - I felt like I needed to go through that hell because I came into poker so late compared to others. I'm in my 40s - so as a Gen X'er - I guess - I felt I needed to earn my way into better games. :)

yes, microstakes are worth it.

if you're an inexperienced player, just starting, or maybe you want to work your way up the stakes, the micros is a great place to start for a number of reasons:
  • it helps you get down the basic fundamentals
  • you go through negative/positive variance
  • you experience bad beats, learn how you react (negatively or positively) to them, and you can work on how to get over them
  • you can experiment with different concepts like opening wider in late position, adjusting strategies with different stack sizes at different stages of an mtt, hand reading, board reading, etc, etc etc.
and you can do all that at a very low price. honestly, i would rather play and lose 500x $1 mtts as i'm learn and improve than i would to play and lose 500x $20 mtts as i learn and improve.
Great post. In agreement - playing the lowest levels for an entire year I was able to go through the gamut of emotions in dealing with bad beats, coolers, and the crap maniac luckboxes. I've been able to temper my emotions nearly entirely now - when the bad beats hit. The lowest levels are great, cheap experimental and training grounds.

LBI micros are about getting your chops down and getting familiar with the interface. sure you can grind out a few pennies playing them but they are way more about practice than the money. Plus they are a great source of laughs. Nothing wrong with putting A "C" note on there and spinning it up. the biggest problem is almost impossible to get any kind of volume because until your playing like 1.50s on ACR+ a few others you just cant find enough games to play to overcome normal variance. the high side is the players are unusually bad and your unlikely to find players as bad at any other stakes. I feel the freerolls at cards chat and jackpot are a better source of practice than $.10 to $.50 micros

As above - I 100% agree with this spot on post.

L

LFC_yllnwa

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think playing supermicrolimits is really only worth it for selection. (sattelites). In tournaments where there are more than 1000 players with buy in up to$ 0.50, it is impossible to win big money and get real pleasure from playing poker. There are maniacs and super aggressive players in every tournament, at every level of the game, this is a feature of poker :), but at a very low level, of course, there are much more of them. ;)

Play, selections for big tournaments with buy in up to 0.50$ this is really a good investment and a great opportunity for a comfortable game and good prize money.

V

valanddon

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Micro tournaments are good to learn how to play, but there are to
many all ins with junk hands. Didn't cost you much so you got nothing to lose.

Ronaldo7

Ronaldo7

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Realy?? I mean micros are realy easy to play... Just wait for hand and be ready to start new tournament when have bad beat... But they are good to learn discipline!

F

Freepokerfree

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Above all, patience and understanding of the long-term nature of the game. Sometimes they will beat you in the most surreal way, but in the long run they won't be able to fight the math :)

Similar position to yours, I'm trying to call with a bankroll of $ 25 (100 buy-ins on the 25c bet). My perspective is that if I can't win at the lower stakes, why should I assume I'll do better higher? However, bad beats are the worst .....

I am with these two opinions, I have a similar opinion of the situation mentioned in the post

Greetings

:qc4::qh4:

K

kamciono5

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think 0.25$ is a little to low and looking at the time you have to spend for me this is a waste of time. I see only one situation on which such a tournaments are quite worth to play, and i don't think about money, but about relax when you're pissed off, because if you win ok, but if you lose you won't be pissed because you almost don't waste money.

L

lusquinha2020

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
0,25 it's cheap but it's hard to win against the field if you are unlucky, because most of the players have no idea about the regular poker. I recommend you to play 45p 0,25 until you have 100 buy-ins to play 0,50s

HolePairs

HolePairs

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I believe they are totally worth it. 1st rule is bankroll management, and if your bankroll dictates micros then that's where you play. For me personally, I came back online in april and started there. I credit my 2 to 3 months grinding the micros for helping me learn ABC poker. The way i figured it, if i couldn't win at these levels how could you ever win at higher levels.