***May i make a may tourney thread?***

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Not to get into a M vs BB's evaluation discussion....that already exists in other threads.

With less than 7 orbits left before we blind out, (figure 40 hands because we don't know when the level will change and drop our M to 3) there is an urgency involved.

Yes, with a few players having smaller stacks the (rather high) probability exists that we can fold our way ITM. Which brings in the play to cash or play to win philosophy (always a favorite slugfest).

And BTW my comment was about the fold or shove attitude. Which I see as the correct attitude to have at that time.

duggs

duggs

Killing me softly
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
we do neither, we play to maximise our expectation.

Jblocher1

Jblocher1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I used to, got tired of them. I was never much of a heads up player tho. Always prefer six Max

BluffMeAllIn

BluffMeAllIn

4evrInmyheart RIP xoxo :(
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
took 2nd in a field of 406 mtt over on carbon last night yay, was just a small 400gtd but felt good after being ousted from the 600gtd earlier AA vs KK when a K hit the river....and in the end the river is what did me in to come 2nd.

Nothing exciting other than that so far in mtt's, actually not been going well on stars cept a semi deep run in the 3.30 bigger out in like 200/3k or something. I am kind of in an mtt mood the last couple of days though so hopefully some more cashes will be comming.

@wizzim: i play hu ht sometimes but never looked to grind them as sometimes my internet lags making ht games nasty when i lag and get sat out. i hear they can certainly be quite profitable though.

M

matt0216

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Put some money on wpn the other day and it's terrible. Merge certainly has its issues (forced me to add another site) but their software is top notch. Wpn is awful in comparison.

----
grind is going well however. already have 2100+ games in and won 3 leader boards last week, 2nd in another. gonna take it easy this current week, maybe just go for 3rd! :)

loafes

loafes

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
poker stars $3.00+$0.30 No Limit Hold'em Tournament - t150/t300 Blinds + t30 - 9 players - View hand 2500971
DeucesCracked Poker Videos Hand History Converter

CO: t7680 M = 10.67
BTN: t7811 M = 10.85
SB: t8895 M = 12.35
BB: t5575 M = 7.74
UTG: t8770 M = 12.18
Hero (UTG+1): t24730 M = 34.35
UTG+2: t16106 M = 22.37
MP1: t26297 M = 36.52
MP2: t28876 M = 40.11

Pre Flop: (t720) Hero is UTG+1 with A :heart: A :diamond:
1 fold, Hero raises to t600, 1 fold, MP1 calls t600, 3 folds, SB calls t450, 1 fold

Flop: (t2370) T :spade: 8 :spade: 3 :diamond: (3 players)
SB checks, Hero bets t1500, MP1 calls t1500, SB calls t1500

Turn: (t6870) Q :heart: (3 players)
SB checks, Hero bets t6900, MP1 calls t6900, SB folds

River: (t20670) 9 :club: (2 players)
Hero??

Wtf do we do on the river, should we be doing something differently on the turn to avoid these spots.

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm probably check/calling there.

Of course a villain could bet set, but most likely scenario, in my mind, would be the Spade draw with villain holding the Ace of spades (or the J9 spades, which is also perfectly playable). Behind that the straight draw.

The alternate way of playing this is to shove the flop, after they have called pre. But being the glory hogs or greedy bastards most of us are, we will all want more value from the rockets, and won't shove.

So, should we assume villain hit something?

duggs

duggs

Killing me softly
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Check folding river. Betting turn smaller

duggs

duggs

Killing me softly
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Shoving flop is definitely no good.

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
ask yourself this, would you call a shove on the turn?

loafes

loafes

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm probably check/calling there.

Of course a villain could bet set, but most likely scenario, in my mind, would be the Spade draw with villain holding the Ace of spades (or the J9 spades, which is also perfectly playable). Behind that the straight draw.

The alternate way of playing this is to shove the flop, after they have called pre. But being the glory hogs or greedy bastards most of us are, we will all want more value from the rockets, and won't shove.

So, should we assume villain hit something?

You really advocate shoving over 24 grand into a 2300 pot? Or 80 bbs into less than 8 bb pot

Check folding river. Betting turn smaller

To be honest this is what I was thinking in game. After the hand. That river should be check fold. And I think you're right about turn sizing. I just put villain on a draw and wanted to charge them to see another card.

ask yourself this, would you call a shove on the turn?

I guess not, I mean sometimes on this board texture in these micro events I am or if I'm against a thinking player who's capable of balancing their turn raising range with draws. But here I suppose given the stack depths and the fact my pot bet should look pretty strong Its probably correct to fold to a shove on the turn.

In game I ended up checking with no idea weather I was intending to check-call or check-fold. The thing is that yes villain definitely has jx in their range and some two pair combinations. However on the other hand we can expect that sets are probably raising earlier given the board texture and the same more or less applies to some of the two pair combinations. Also if you're villain are you value betting your two pairs on the river, maybe but not all villains are, considering our stacks. So given that villain can have missed flush draws and one pair hands they decide to turn into a bluff it might be that check call is viable on the river. In game the point was rendered moot because after I checked villain checked back KQ (no spades) and I lold and scooped a nice pot.

Last edited:
W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
halfway through the month and i've basically played no sng's at all. Been really busy at work so pretty much an impossible month for me. got in around 2-300 sng so far, but with another big week at work, my months goals are all but over.

decided not to play the medium main event this sunday, going to be just playing the low $109 event and probably a few other mtt's. Who is playing this sunday? i think we should rail it here and try to get this thread going a bit more :)

BluffMeAllIn

BluffMeAllIn

Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
meh, i prb played even less wizz which is so not what i had planned for may but something is killing my motivation but hope it will pick up soon or i might just start sleeping my days away rather than grinding like i should be.

I planned to play a bunch of l scoops but didn't happen, dunno what plans are the weekend .... i think the 2day scoops killed me with playing those as day2 falls midday at work so kinda meh on them.

Ah well half the month left hopefully i find that motivation switch i thought was going to hit me for may.

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you still play stt's or are you mixing games?

R

RamdeeBen

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
IN to get some volume in of some sorts!

Need to get back in the consistently of grinding out profits in STT's and having MTT's on the side, variance in MTT's is draining.

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
ok, so let's talk some STT strat. This will also apply to some MTT and pretty much any form of SNG you will ever play. Let's actually think about things here and our ranges, or options with our range instead of just falling into a shove/fold strategy.

The J9s here is a super easy shove, in a very common spot where we have a big chip lead. I'm not questioning the shove here, moreso what will we do when we get in similar situations with differant hands, or differant parts of our range. Like, we have 84off here, what do we do? AA, what do we do? etc etc

Villian here seems to like calling a bit, so he's likely to call shoves wider than what is correct to do so, he also seems to like 3betting, but it's only over 85 hands, so lets not put too much thought into his HUD atm.

So with that said, what is your plan of attack here, and what types of ranges will you shove/limp/min-raise/fold etc. and why?

hopefully the stats are pretty clear, if you don't know what something is, i'll point out HUD stats if you need.

Attachments

• j9s range.jpg
    j9s range.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 45
W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
IN to get some volume in of some sorts!

Need to get back in the consistently of grinding out profits in STT's and having MTT's on the side, variance in MTT's is draining.

glgl, yeah i couldn't handle the MTT scene, i need constant profit rolling in. i usually have 1-2 180mans loaded up if i play a long sng session, it's nice when you bink one of those :) Usually have a few SNG playing while i play mtt, get's a bit boring focusing on 2-4 tables of MTT only.

loafes

loafes

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would think we can just fold our really weak hands since we don't have as much fold equity as we should and there isn't any ante in play. Middle strength hands we obviously shove and our super strong hands we could either complete or min raise, I doubt villain is going to exploit the fact we make our range obvious by limping/min raising.

AlfieAA

AlfieAA

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
ok, so let's talk some STT strat. This will also apply to some MTT and pretty much any form of SNG you will ever play. Let's actually think about things here and our ranges, or options with our range instead of just falling into a shove/fold strategy.

The J9s here is a super easy shove, in a very common spot where we have a big chip lead. I'm not questioning the shove here, moreso what will we do when we get in similar situations with differant hands, or differant parts of our range. Like, we have 84off here, what do we do? AA, what do we do? etc etc

Villian here seems to like calling a bit, so he's likely to call shoves wider than what is correct to do so, he also seems to like 3betting, but it's only over 85 hands, so lets not put too much thought into his HUD atm.

So with that said, what is your plan of attack here, and what types of ranges will you shove/limp/min-raise/fold etc. and why?

hopefully the stats are pretty clear, if you don't know what something is, i'll point out HUD stats if you need.

Raising 84o to get folds since a 3bet basically puts him all in? Limp AA? He might come over the top or if checks hopefully will get a small piece of the flop and he will gii light?

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Raising 84o to get folds since a 3bet basically puts him all in? Limp AA? He might come over the top or if checks hopefully will get a small piece of the flop and he will gii light?

not just the hands i suggested, think about YOUR whole range here and what you do with certain hand types. Like suited connectors what do you do? Monsters what do you do? Weak Ax type hands?

the idea is to have a range, within a range in spots like this. so think about it, and see what you come up with :)

BluffMeAllIn

BluffMeAllIn

Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you still play stt's or are you mixing games?

My plan for May was actually to grind cash games, which i did for only about 2 days and kinda got a bug for mtt's, and play stt's on the weekends. I have done some mtt playing but don't seem to have any umph to sit and grind lots of cash tables or lots of stt's like I had initially planned.

Not completely sure why tbh, but could be any number of things i guess as just not feeling my usual self lately could have something to do with it. Even mtt's now are not striking after having a couple of semi-deep runs on stars only to get beat out before hitting any sizable pay (i know results oriented, but something to be said about constantly grinding mtt's and being 6-8 hours in on a few and never seeming to managed that score). Plus seems lot of people are getting great deep runs and cashes, and I'm jealous lol.

Hoping i'll get the motivation to dig my heels in again soon......maybe should take a few days away but only way i'll manage that is if I induce a coma cause nothing else to do haha.

It sucks to want to do something but not doing it at the same time.

AlfieAA

AlfieAA

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
My plan for May was actually to grind cash games, which i did for only about 2 days and kinda got a bug for mtt's, and play stt's on the weekends. I have done some mtt playing but don't seem to have any umph to sit and grind lots of cash tables or lots of stt's like I had initially planned.

Not completely sure why tbh, but could be any number of things i guess as just not feeling my usual self lately could have something to do with it. Even mtt's now are not striking after having a couple of semi-deep runs on stars only to get beat out before hitting any sizable pay (i know results oriented, but something to be said about constantly grinding mtt's and being 6-8 hours in on a few and never seeming to managed that score). Plus seems lot of people are getting great deep runs and cashes, and I'm jealous lol.

Hoping i'll get the motivation to dig my heels in again soon......maybe should take a few days away but only way i'll manage that is if I induce a coma cause nothing else to do haha.

It sucks to want to do something but not doing it at the same time.

I think you feel now how I felt a few weeks ago man. Abit of a loss of appetite for the game. Most probably due to burnout because you grind so many over a long period of time. But then again you had a month off lol, so maybe its something else entirely. Loss of confidence maybe? Or still in 'break' mode from a few weeks ago and finding it hard to get the fire back to go back at it like you did before.

Best thing to do is just take your time and wait till you get the poker itch back again. You'll defintely enjoy it better if you do that than forcing a comeback because you are bored lol. Do what I did, learn chess or something :) man that's a hard game, quite relaxing and enjoyable once you learn how the pieces move though. Quite into it and even ordered books from ebay. Proper obsessive compulsive me :D

AlfieAA

AlfieAA

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
not just the hands i suggested, think about YOUR whole range here and what you do with certain hand types. Like suited connectors what do you do? Monsters what do you do? Weak Ax type hands?

the idea is to have a range, within a range in spots like this. so think about it, and see what you come up with :)

Assuming that this situation is HU (can't quite see the full picture from my phone) then I think we can keep our ranges pretty simple against this dude..what I mean is that we don't need to balance our range because he doesn't look the type who will exploit. Could be wrong?

And with him having such a short stack compared to ours its all about GII with a decent hand but not a monster and limping monsters..as I think he's pretty much fit or fold at this stage. Don't think there's much point in raising x2-x3 with junk as he will more than likely 3bet shove and have us crushed. So its either limp or shove with a depolorised range.....could be totally wrong here, I've not got a lot of practice in strat talk...I'll get better though the more I think about this stuffs :)

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Assuming that this situation is HU (can't quite see the full picture from my phone) then I think we can keep our ranges pretty simple against this dude..what I mean is that we don't need to balance our range because he doesn't look the type who will exploit. Could be wrong?

And with him having such a short stack compared to ours its all about GII with a decent hand but not a monster and limping monsters..as I think he's pretty much fit or fold at this stage. Don't think there's much point in raising x2-x3 with junk as he will more than likely 3bet shove and have us crushed. So its either limp or shove with a depolorised range.....could be totally wrong here, I've not got a lot of practice in strat talk...I'll get better though the more I think about this stuffs :)

it's the bubble of a 6max turbo sng. it's a BVB situation which is pretty common in sng format.

This isn't a drill in what to do, it's all about the thought process behind it. What to actually do in the hand really doesn't matter at all.

Yep, what you said makes perfect sense to me. Just to give you all more background info, bubbles of sng are the times when we can really put the hurt on opponants. it's where the majority of mistakes are made and where the majority of our money is made. So he will not 'more than likely' 3bet jam on us really wide here. He will likely 3bet jam with the same range of hands he will call and all in shove with, some players will 3betjam tighter, some a little wider. Until we get reads that he will 3bet jam wider to our min-raise, we can't assume that he will.

So with the above info, lets hope to get more people thinking about what they might do here with parts of their range. It's all about the thought behind it, not if oyu are right or wrong in this spot, that is irrelevant.