Making stack vs Survival

SuzdalDEcor

SuzdalDEcor

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you want to get some money - stack 10bb. If you want to win this tournament - stack 20bb

sanych

sanych

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
PUSH-FOLD Nash.
Push / fold the tournament for you is when your stack is 12 big blinds or less. Also Strategy push / fold , if you are the chip leader with a lot of chips and your opponent has no more stacks are 12 big blinds.

Tech101205

Tech101205

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
when we shove absolutely depends on prize structure (how many places paid )
field of tourney , of course blinds we have and type of players on table
In general if we have
1.20+ bbs we play normal
2.under 15 bbs we wait for top 5% hand and shove which include 1010+ , A10s+ ,QKs etc
3.Under 10 bbs we can go for narrow range based on position and spot
the range i use here actually is A7s+ , 88 + , QKs, QJs, 10Js , KJs , 10Ks etc
4.under 5 bbs We can go for even wide say top 20%

romych007

romych007

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
My goal is to get to the final table.I i play too much hands on the early stage of tournaments. I or departure, or get a big stack. I sometimes even go to an all in WITH AQ before the flop. But when my stack is big enough(25BB+), I play more cautiously, sometimes still the blinds. Well, when my stack less than 10bb, I'm play push/sfold. with this strategy I play only cheap tournaments .

mcgregor_415

mcgregor_415

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It depends very much of the structure and the field. If you are in a freeroll or free ticket tournament, then you will have a lot of maniacs. This is a chance to make nice stack against them when you aim on those players.

Playing tight in middle stages is smart. Just to wait for nice position and cards and to pull the trigger with a nice flop or with some monsters preflop.

C

canabero

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i think is basically a ICM question, when you need a lot of chips to get ITM or get a ticket in a sat, you need to take risk, that means to bet aggresive or limping whit premium hands waiting value after flop. but when you have solid stack or you are in ITM position near to bubble is better to play simple trying to steal blinds.

Like2Play2

Like2Play2

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
On making stack or survival

I was down to 5 or 6 big blinds and i found myself on the button
so I went all in with 57 off and got one call from AA

I made the strait and double up (survival mode)

But normally I am the one with AA that gets a call from 62 off and lose

V

VanEkeren

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I think this is a good thread, in a sense, but I think it's also important to remember that when to shove and when not to also depends on the table. If I'm at a table where everyone is playing very tight and only PFR's with monster hands, I'm not shoving in with ace-low even if I'm short-stacked.

M

mountsun

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like to do some calculations first.

What will be the average stack at the bubble. that gives a nice minimum target to aim for.

then I look at how much and how fast the blinds will rise.

the faster the rises , the fewer hands I will be seeing.

And then while playing I not only keep track of my stack vs BB ratio. but also how many players are still left in the tournament. My own current position. And how long I can hold out with folding till my stack will be eaten away by the blinds.

That information gives me an indication of which hands I should play. This so I can make the right contemplation about folding (and waiting for a better hand) vs calling because my hand is probably the best hand I will get before I am forced all-in by the blinds.

S

Skillet

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I feel like the later you get in a tournament, the less likely you should be to take big risks (all in with ace rag, chasing straights/flushes, over playing pocket pairs with a bad board). The deeper you get, it seems the more insane people act trying to get chips to stay alive.

B

bstest

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play normal TAG, but tend to lean towards the survival mode in more questionable hands and positions. I think I should be more in the stack building profession and am in the process of transitioning there.

C

Cloud2218

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That's basically the whole point of tourny's to me. Constantly fighting to have enough of a stack. When you're in the later stages everything is position+cards+stack-ante&blinds/. If you got a small stack compared to everyone you have to take more risk with less hands.