Lower pockets in front of big blind

L

lagopus73

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Any suggestion on how to play them? lets say 77. If your halfway to the money, midrange stack what do you do. I seem to loose chips, or miss big hands. After a few years i can't put it on bad luck. Figure I play them wrong.

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
what's a midrange stack?

in general, I fold 22-55 when utg and open 66+ to the standard 2x bb. then play accordingly, based on pre / post flop action.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What do you mean by "in front of big blind"? If you mean in the SB seat, you can open jam, when you are <15BB effective. With 15-25BB effective you can limp-jam, and with >25BB effective you can limp-call.

C

Cbabycee

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
GB
Chips
Do you mean first position or SB because first position small pairs are easy fold…..

But if you can min raise on a table that isn’t that aggressive and see a flop cheap, and hit a set, you could be good, because it’s not expected - this kind of play you can get away with on party or 888 where there is a lot of limp calling, and checking. I wouldn’t risk my tournament on a pair below 77 by betting big from first, getting called by 2 players then min re-raised and being in a position I have to call because I’m priced in, but really sitting out if position with pocket 3s praying for a 3 lol.

If you want to play hands like that from early position you need to be able to fold if you get raised, not marry them. If you have a decent chip stack and can see a flop cheap they play themselves. They can be beautiful when you flop the set and a A or K and you know one guy plays A rag, check it let him lead ;) just don’t marry them. Know their strength.

Last edited:
pentazepam

pentazepam

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
SE
Chips
Most often raise if first in every pair over 66 from every position (sometimes with the exception of the SB there you can limp (complete) or raise depending on the stack depth and the tendencies of the BB. The closer you come to the button the lower the pairs you can raise.

If the table is very aggressive you can use a limping range, especially from early positions (but in that case, you must also limp some or all premium hands, depending on how good they are).

If you have a normal raise before you it's a call.