Low Limit Sngs

Splitpot88

Splitpot88

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As there are a lot of donks in this lower level games has anyone developed a good strategy that works will in these games? Thanks in advance :)

Bozovicdj

Bozovicdj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
As there are a lot of donks in this lower level games has anyone developed a good strategy that works will in these games? Thanks in advance :)

Regular speed: you have plenty of time to pick up a good hand and get value on it. I am talking about having over pair against players who are bad enough to get it in with TP or mid pair. You don't need to call shoves pre flop with hands like AK, AQs or similar, cause you will mostly flip against pocket pairs. So, tight is right!

Turbo: AK is a definitely a call pre flop, or even a shove if your stack gets short. However, tight play is generally good, don't limp, like ever. The only limp that is acceptable is in SB position when limped to. When you reach the later stages, like FT, you will find yourself with stack that is easily less then 15-20BB but so is everyone else's. IMO play push/fold game in those spots, be very aggressive in SB vs BB situations when everyone folded to you. Throw in a squeeze here and there against limpers when you hold Axs or Kxs, pocket pairs too.

This is all from my personal experience in playing SnGs ranging from 1.5$ to 7$.

P

Principg

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker is getting harder and harder. Sure, there are a lot of bad players on micros, but not as many that you can make money with average skills.

pancho_1954

pancho_1954

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
if the sng is slow you can be more selective with your moves and there is not so much pressure, if the tournament is fast there is a little more pressure at the beginning if you can be more selective with the moves, but you will have to risk it

thatguy6793

thatguy6793

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
At the micro tables you'll usually get 1 or 2 people that will quickly get knocked out but then after that the games get fairly tough. In terms of strategy, playing tight early on to get a read on the rest of the tables and then amping up the aggression as the blinds get bigger is a great place to start but definitely look into this a bit more on your one to find the best strategy.

P

popstani

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For me, the major things in sng is that you don’t spill your chips and tight is right. When you get good hand push hard and don’t play out of position with trouble hands

Andrei Korolev

Andrei Korolev

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Play premium hands and be patient...

D

duson

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Avoid the first 2-3 hands if you can, unless you get AA or KK. The all-in's are too random and its too easy to get knocked out that way without actually getting to play poker.

Splitpot88

Splitpot88

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree, I usually play tight the first few hands and then I loosen up but not to much. I try to play quality starting hands. I also agree that in the 9 and 6 man tournaments you will usually lose 2 to 3 players within the first five hands and then things really tighten up.

U

UkoChebuko

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You need a good rakeback for this format. Very little edge, very hard to learn the strategy for all stages. Don't play in pokerstars. However, if you want to play there, play only $3.50 fifty (turbo only), $7 fifty (turbo and reg), 18 man turbo $3.50 and $7. Also 90 man and above, but this is not SnG any more, this is "MTT SnG".

If you ask "Why", I am a SnG player, I played thousands of tournaments in any format. You can trust me :).

Last edited:
Splitpot88

Splitpot88

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You need a good rakeback for this format. Very little edge, very hard to learn the strategy for all stages. Don't play in PokerStars. However, if you want to play there, play only $3.50 fifty (turbo only), $7 fifty (turbo and reg), 18 man turbo $3.50 and $7. Also 90 man and above, but this is not SnG any more, this is "MTT SnG".

If you ask "Why", I am a SnG player, I played thousands of tournaments in any format. You can trust me :).

Being in the US I only play at ACR. A lot of the advice I am seeing says stick with the premium hands. I guess I am kinda of guilty of playing not so premium hands if it is cheap to see the flop...is that a bad strategy if I can see them cheap?

U

UkoChebuko

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not exactly...I will try to explain some things, but my English is very bad, sorry for that.
I have maybe 20k SnG tournaments in this network, maybe more. The people are just crazy, no matter $10 or $30. The "normal"strategy is not good there :D.

You want to see more flops "cheap". Nothing wrong in that imo, at least in the early stages. But what is "cheap"!? If UTG raises 90 chips (30 blind), you are on HJ with 65s, everybody folds to you and you call. This is not "cheap". There are four people behind you. If someone raise, you can't call. With 65s you will hit often a draw, not a strong made hand. Vs pot size C-bet, this is already not so profitable.

There is an ICM-factor in the SnG. This is not a cash game, this is not MTT. Play tight. You can pay to see the flop, but if it is "really cheap". Very low price or high price, but vs many people. Nothing wrong to call with pocket pair, with JTs. You need this "double up". If you wait only for premium hands, your stack will be smaller, when you get this AA. You can't "win" 3000 chips.

In this format you must play different hands. If you play MTT, you can go All in even with 50% equity, even less. The tournament is over, you can start another one, you will win a lot of money some day :D. In the SnG you can't. Let's say you play 9 man SnG, you have 4x stack, 6000 chips. $10 SnG. Well, you have $40, right!? No, you play now for this $40. Nothing similar to MTT. In this format you need at least 55% equity, often a lot more. Even 67%. Hands , like KJo, QTo are not good. They are only for steal.

Last edited:
xbronk

xbronk

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the best strategy is to be lucky and know how to manage your hands, it is not worth taking good hands if you do not take advantage of your patience is fundamental greetings and luck:D

Splitpot88

Splitpot88

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not exactly...I will try to explain some things, but my English is very bad, sorry for that.
I have maybe 20k SnG tournaments in this network, maybe more. The people are just crazy, no matter $10 or $30. The "normal"strategy is not good there :D.

You want to see more flops "cheap". Nothing wrong in that imo, at least in the early stages. But what is "cheap"!? If UTG raises 90 chips (30 blind), you are on HJ with 65s, everybody folds to you and you call. This is not "cheap". There are four people behind you. If someone raise, you can't call. With 65s you will hit often a draw, not a strong made hand. Vs pot size C-bet, this is already not so profitable.

There is an ICM-factor in the SnG. This is not a cash game, this is not MTT. Play tight. You can pay to see the flop, but if it is "really cheap". Very low price or high price, but vs many people. Nothing wrong to call with pocket pair, with JTs. You need this "double up". If you wait only for premium hands, your stack will be smaller, when you get this AA. You can't "win" 3000 chips.

In this format you must play different hands. If you play MTT, you can go All in even with 50% equity, even less. The tournament is over, you can start another one, you will win a lot of money some day :D. In the SnG you can't. Let's say you play 9 man SnG, you have 4x stack, 6000 chips. $10 SnG. Well, you have $40, right!? No, you play now for this $40. Nothing similar to MTT. In this format you need at least 55% equity, often a lot more. Even 67%. Hands , like KJo, QTo are not good. They are only for steal.

This to me is solid advice and I appreciate the time that everyone is taking to help make not only me but others who read this better players.

F

FaritGaripov

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
low limit sng like roullete. you will never know when your AA will lose to 72o :D

ammje

ammje

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In these levels you have to play more aggressive with good cards do not try to bluff or slow play.
Many times if you go all in with AA KK QQ JJ more than any player you pay, and it 's easy to double your stack at those levels.