zorro222_zorro222

zorro222_zorro222

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Yeah, I've seen a lot of that too... I think it depends on the chip stacks and blind level and the respect everyone has for each other nowadays when they have large stacks

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Motivate Opponent to Fold

I've seen a lot of top pros implementing this strategy could someone explain the theory behind it and why they are not playing more aggro

I generally don't like it because without a raise there is no reason for your opponent to fold preflop.

If pros are playing headgames with each other about position and how good a flop is - that's fine.

One of the only ways I'm limping preflop on the button when headsup is if I just lost a big pot and I have an Ace in my hand - as a trap.

Good luck !

poliaris747

poliaris747

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Each game strategy must be applied carefully and to a specific opponent, if the opponent understands what game strategy you are using, then you will not be able to play effectively, and in the end you will lose.

C

CallmeFloppy

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I will limp some to change my pace. I can see against some opponents how limping and using aggression post flop may be a better strategy if they like to raise preflop and shut down if they miss the flop.

kissapig

kissapig

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Limping heads up is another tool to use. The goal in heads up is not to be predictable. So limping mixes up your game.
Being unpredictable is advantageous when hu, but can lead to difficult decisions. Limping with AA and expecting a raise that doesn't happen, raising with junk and getting reraised,
re-raising with junk and getting jammed on, all happen with enough frequency to make you want to play ABC poker and let the cards play themselves. I think that unpredictable play should include the straight forward raise good hands, fold bad hands, type of play. Folding preflop in a hu game has somehow become an unpredictable part of my game that causes my opponent to start to fold preflop as well. Fold preflop from the button? Outrageous ! But the unpredictable play can entice your opponent to be overconfident and destroy themselves.