Is Limping Condonable at Times?

J

johnbossinger

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
ouch

Limping really isnt ever a good thing. Not much you could do in that situation either, even if you checked 2 pair to them they were going to bet it or push anyways with you calling. Only thing you could do is tighten up on your starting hands. The little voice in your head said fold and you played anyways i am sure. Listen to that voice, its usually right.:jd4:

R

regirp10

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
very good this way of thinking , it does help when making decisions .. lol
(Blue_Fossil
Expert Member
Plays at: Bovada
Game: holdem
Listen to the little voices in your head. At least while playing poker.

H

HollyMichelle13

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Whether you limped or raised, he was going to call and with you hitting the high 2 pair, you were going to call anything anyways. Id limp in the blinds and fold to a raise with 910 cuz im not a big fan of that hand. But either way, it was a good play, the cards just crapped on you.

No no no no no.

You cannot blame the cards for crapping out on you when you make the mistake of being in the hand in the first place.

Fold.

End of.

magicius

magicius

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In tourneys its ok to limp(turbo ones) in cash dont do it ever! Well maybe you can limp Ep and ig you hit nuts shove but its better not to limp to often...

Sent from my HTC Desire X using Tapatalk

Micro Maven

Micro Maven

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Do you ever expect him to cbet with air into that many opponents? I think going for the C/R is a big mistake as you only expect him to lead if he has what he's repping and he's going to give you at least 1 round of action (you only have ~2x pot on flop) if he has it, you don't really want action from a QJs type hand from anyone else if you're about to hit the big money, and anyone who calls a flop donk by you(or shove) is probably going to be priced in on turn.

Micro Maven

Micro Maven

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Basically, I don't think top 2 (when 10 is the high card) is ever good enough to slow play this deep in a tourney, against this many opponents, unless payouts dictate otherwise.

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Is limping condonable? well....never say never....but....

I never open limp in Holdem, except in the SB and that is rare enough as it is.

This just suits my natural style.

I will limp along with mutliple limpers, but usually if there is just 1 limper I will raise in position to isolate, or fold the hand.

I know what you're talking about when you get that feeling like "raising is not a good idea right here" so you should listen to it and just fold, but don't alter your play...if limping is a normal part of your game, then maybe....but if you don't normally limp, then don't just decide to do it in a spot like this. Go with your instincts and avoid the hand.

I can't tell you how many times I've been beating up on my table with hands like JT, A8 etc and then I'll get dealt a hand like ATo in early pos and just muck it because even though the hand is actually BETTER than what I've been playing, the rhythm is such that I think it's just pushing my luck to play a marginal hand, even if it is clearly the best hand I've been dealt in a while.

angelluv725

angelluv725

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I am learning to fold no mater what when I am on the bubble and someone goes all in,no matter what. Lately I have had my AA beaten by KK too many times. I will just wait till I get ITM.

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I am learning to fold no mater what when I am on the bubble and someone goes all in,no matter what. Lately I have had my AA beaten by KK too many times. I will just wait till I get ITM.

I don't recommend this at all, but good luck to you.

S

ssbn743

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I can't tell you how many times I've been beating up on my table with hands like JT, A8 etc and then I'll get dealt a hand like ATo in early pos and just muck it because even though the hand is actually BETTER than what I've been playing, the rhythm is such that I think it's just pushing my luck to play a marginal hand, even if it is clearly the best hand I've been dealt in a while.

I know exactly what you mean; in fact, that’s a very good way to say it – I do the same thing; as a matter fact, in that very tournament and that very table. I folded Ad Jd UTG after raising trash for a while; I think we were still 8 or 9 handed at that point – LOL

I know I shouldn’t limp and almost never do, especially open limp. Here, I talked myself into playing because limping was the only way I could play the hand, neither of my other two options would have allowed me to see the flop. In short I got antsy and talked myself into a bad position.

Nonetheless, the point of this thread was not a bad beat story. It was, even though this seems bad, it also seems +EV – I can play “small ball” and have a chance to crack, if I miss, I fold and I lose 2% of my stack, so it seems, that especially on the bubble, the reward far outweighs the risk. I guess that’s the real question, because even though I hate how I got there, I was there, and it was one of the best spots I could be in. Should I adjust and start considering limping more often? Or, was this situation a fluke?