Limping with AK

Alekxandrovi3

Alekxandrovi3

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Play limp with AK is always a mistake. Be prepared that you will beat the big blind with 2 7os. Recently I am seen as a guy who played with AA limped preflop. It was won by the player in the big blind with a garbage hand. He caught a full house on the flop. When a player with AA started doing the guy a raise with a bad hand I was very happy.

C

CaioCesarGoes

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Limp with AK sometimes yiu lose chips that you may gain if you raise pre flop, and the board fovotites you, AK is a very strong hand, this is a mistake in most o cases, gives you villain a chance to get a better hand with dead cards.

rock0001

rock0001

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
limping with ak in most cases is a bad and a very passive play.... the only good thing of limping with ak is that is a great hand to play postflop even against multiple opponents, so maybe this player just wanted to get involved in a multiway pot and disguise his powerful hand, and thats exactly what it happens in this hand... in other scenarios he wouldnt be so lucky though....

German629

German629

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
limping with ak in most cases is a bad and a very passive play.... the only good thing of limping with ak is that is a great hand to play postflop even against multiple opponents, so maybe this player just wanted to get involved in a multiway pot and disguise his powerful hand, and thats exactly what it happens in this hand... in other scenarios he wouldnt be so lucky though....

Hello, rock0001! I'm full agree with You, that limp with AK is not good idea! Especially dangerously, if this to do with not suited AK, and a most dangerously, if this doing with the early position, because then in the bank can enter the many players, and then getting
a game in a coin... Why this need?! I'm saw the many times, as punished these players, which played a limp with AK... Sometimes got I'm punished these players, especially I hit in a set with a small pair... But everyone chooses your Poker :jd4: Strategy , and this is what makes a Poker is a very interesting and life Game! :cool:

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Pretty amazing the original poster on this thread was 2009. Maybe more amazing is the amount of replies or lack there of in all those years.

Limpers with AK get me everytime if I have anything that post flop may be the nutz without AK being considered in the opponents hand. I feel like this move almost never works for me. I limp with AK and every time it's busted by cards lower than 6 for a starting hand. If only I had raised, I wouldn't be losing to a hand that is only in the hand because of it being cheap.

Likewise though when I raise any calls are PPs or Ax and they find a way to a flush or hitting that lower card. Even in AK AK matchups and thinking chop the river flushes me out.
When is AK successful for me? When I raise and the table folds.

In the situation posted by the original poster the AK big stack limper successfully trapped w his AK.

He probably limped to allow short stacks to shove and he was calling.

Just an unfortunate runout for the original poster.

Good luck !

U

UncleConRon

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My opinion

That is a sneaky poker play limping in with ace king. There are two ways of looking at it. Getting the opponent to bet. Like it did with you. Or ace king is not do and you really don't want to bet it. Ace king wins about 36 percent of time unless you can fold the winner.
That is one reason you don't limp in. The problem with fold the winner against ace king is hole cards usually are good enough to call a chick bet.

V

valanddon

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I'll sometime limp in with AK and if hit an A go all in.

nurjemal

nurjemal

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
don't rely on AK
he can easily score 22
it looks stronger
but it's not really him it's not a strong card

Last edited:
TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think you lose a lot of value limping a hand a strong as AK. If you are in position-get paid for it, if you are out of position you can push some people out of the hand. Why limp and let the big blind with his 26o hit 2 pair.

J

JohnRambo

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Ak

I've done both ways with mixed results. Usually someone holds out with 55 and wrecks me on the river. Betting big is your best bet in my opinion. Slow playing usually bites you in the rear.

Garfield52

Garfield52

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I usually find that betting strong with AK when I am in the early position, then the others all bail out. If I am in the later position it often helps. If I hold back on my betting with |AK then most times a weak set of cards beats me and I have poker player remorse. LOL

I

Ianmacca99

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is obviously a ten year old thread that's popped back up. Depending on stack sizes etc he may have been limping AK to induce a shove from later position player holding AQ or small to mid pocket pairs. At points in the tourney were stacks are shallow people are shoving any Ax it can be a good play to limp although I would raise the majority of the time with AK

A

Arthur ZM

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Limp with AK is a bad game. I used to go limp with AK when I just started playing poker because I didn't know anything about 3 bet, limp, etc.

Pimp 007 x

Pimp 007 x

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Limping with powerful hands such as AK or high pocket pairs is indeed a bad move, you're giving other players a chance to catch up with their rather mediocre hands. Always raise, or shove.

Limping with Aces is actually disgusting... and if you do that, and your opponent catches a full house with his 27 on the flop, its all on you buddy.

dbchristy

dbchristy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Limping with Ak, ya crusin for a brusin on ACR specially..LOL

korneel

korneel

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I used to limp alot, now I almost never limp.
If you limp, the pot will not be high after the flop.
Which makes it hard to win a big pot when you have a good hand.

I

Ianmacca99

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Limping with powerful hands such as AK or high pocket pairs is indeed a bad move, you're giving other players a chance to catch up with their rather mediocre hands. Always raise, or shove.

Limping with Aces is actually disgusting... and if you do that, and your opponent catches a full house with his 27 on the flop, its all on you buddy.
Yeah I don't mind flatting with aces every now and then if someone's opened hoping for aggressive players behind squeezing but mainly looking to raise big hands

619Leafs

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I never limp with AK big slick. I feel the more players see a flop, the worse the hand becomes. I usually put a standard of 2.5 to 3x raise and then make my decision on the flop whether to fold or bet/call/raise.

T

TheDev

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Limping is always a bad strategy in my mind. With a premium hand you want less players in. Raising preflop usually ensure that you wont run into someone with a bad hand catching a 3 of a kind or better. Limping will hurt you way more often than help you.

Vallet

Vallet

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I recently saw Phil Ivey not use a raise when playing with the AK hand. He set a trap for the re-raise by doing so.

Warrior1961

Warrior1961

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi everyone.

I usually limp AK from first positions when there is an aggressive maniac or loose player at the table. I must recognize, anyway, that it is a hand that has created more than one problem for me, but I am a newbie, it is logical that it should be so ....

Greetings.

GIRFIED

GIRFIED

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Limp with AKx.
In principle, we may think it is a bad movement but we must see the context.
When we play in cash games, it is a very weak movement that will get us into postflop problems on many occasions, not to mention, that doing this type of movement with similar long-term hands will you lose a lot of value from these hands.

But when we play in tournaments, depending on the phase and circumstances we can do Limp (with hands type TT +, AJs +) taking advantage of certain rivals, mainly players who like ROL a lot or short stack players who show aggression against this type of movement.

It is clear that I am not recommending to do limp / Raise or Limp / Call at all times, but to think if the situation is profitable and play smart.