Limpers

A

aronbarnkopf

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
HU
Chips
Hi I have been stuggling in situations where like 3 people limp before me and I have a strong hand (lets say AJs+) but every time I raise at least 2 of them call and the flop is unfavourable. Should I go much bigger (I usually raise to 7BBs) or what?
Thanks

poxerator78

poxerator78

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
A strong hand is two ace, two kings and two ladies, and the rest are not bad, promising, but not winning

dannystanks

dannystanks

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
US
Chips
Yea try raising more, go to 15x. Some players need a reason to really think about what to do pre flop. 7x may seem like a lot but to some players they came to see flops. Be in position of these players, and when they do call you should be ahead of their range most of the time with your AJ+ type hands.

Berandir

Berandir

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
In my opinion, limping is not the right move to make, these players will be profitable over the long term. Be sure to punish them, I believe with a 3x bet in the early game, with a stronger range, such as QQ and AK+.

Hospedar

Hospedar

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
If everyone is limping and I am in position, I try to limp if I want to see the flop in a cheap way or if I don't want to scare them away (it depends a lot). But these guys are probably donkeys that want to see every flop and try to hit a strong hand, like a three of a kind or a flush.

To play against them, you can't bluff, you can't scare them with 2bb or 3bb in a raise (when I was donkey, I always got bored when I limped and someone after me raised to a few more chips; I was not understanding why other players were always doing this and I always was calling the small bet). You need to punish them at the pre-flop. You will try to make expensive bets, because they want to play, in the cheapest way, with every connected or strong hands (suited cards, pocket pairs, close numerical variations, Ax and Kx hands, etc.). I don't have to explain that these hands will not be profitable to play everytime in a long run.

And this is your advantage, your tight range will destroy their lose ranges (at mostly time).

Also, please, remember to think twice when they go all-in on pre-flop, because they could have pocket pairs (specially JJ+) or other Broadway hands (specially AQ+). Be patient and you will be successful in the game.

pentazepam

pentazepam

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
SE
Chips
Hi I have been stuggling in situations where like 3 people limp before me and I have a strong hand (lets say AJs+) but every time I raise at least 2 of them call and the flop is unfavourable. Should I go much bigger (I usually raise to 7BBs) or what?
Thanks
Just continue to raise your good hands, and being in position is an extra plus. You can't miss the flop forever.

3x plus 1 extra bb for every limper is usually standard so you are in the "normal" area with 7BB. But if they call even bigger raises with worse hands than you raise with, test how much bigger you can go without them all folding.

In the long run, you will always win more money by raising if you have a stronger range AND position unless you do some really bad things post-flop.

Against tough players, it can have merit to isolate and fold out equity. But against bad players that play a lot of trash, I don't mind multiway pots in position.

But if you think it is easier to have fewer players calling you post increase your raising size (within reason).

kaynbergo

kaynbergo

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
If you're afraid of what they'll give you when you have a strong hand, why would you raise so much?

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks
your raise size is fine, depending on position. I do the standard 2x bb + 1 bb per limp, and just adjust it to be a little bigger if I'm out of position post flop. so, out of position I raise it 6-8 and, in position, 5-6 bbs is fine.

you don't want to raise too big because you give your opponents a chance to fold their worst hands and only call their best hand vs you.

as far as the flop goes, sometimes your strong preflop hands aren't going to be as strong post flop and you might have to let them go. or at least try to see a cheap showdown. you just have to pay accordingly on each street, if you're in the hand.

if you have to check/fold your ak on a 5c6c7c flop facing action and you don't have the ac, then it is what it is. don't get into the habit of thinking you're entitled to win the pot just because you raised big preflop with a big hand.

Gallarado777

Gallarado777

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
If they call your bet, then they hope for the set at least make it to the set so you need to stop them from doing so and bet even more for them to drop but still 7bb is enough for them to discard if they call and don't hit, they lose, and even if they hit, the player must pay them a lot for him to be a profitable distance player, to put it very easy, you're doing the right thing just if this is an early stage of the game, then discover more, and if it's a late stage, they're just bad players and that's it