Limp with small pocket pairs

G

Gusborgs22

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey guys
What do you think about the limp strategy with small pocket pairs?
Like 22 an 33 trying to play small pots?
GLGL

perrywh

perrywh

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I do it and it pays off sometime! Over all I think it’s worth it.

azforlife

azforlife

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When you ask poker questions always include the BB (Big Blind), It depends!

lcid86

lcid86

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Set mining can be profitable in position. Hard to set mine against LAG players out of position - you will give away a lot of chips.

poliaris747

poliaris747

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
And why not play if, for example, the opponents at the table give you the opportunity. I always say every single hand has its own life .

P

Psyko_76

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't recommend it. When you limp chances are big you end up in a multiway pot which greatly improves the chance that your baby pair is pure trash. With small pairs you want to go heads up.

Stack size is also important. With 20 bb or less you don't set mine with small pairs since you don't have any implied odds. When stacks are deep set mining is fine but raise rather than limp.

mina271

mina271

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
It depends on what position I'm sitting at the table, how many players are in the hand and how strong are they. But actually these little pairs are reason enough for me to simply fold them. I rarely play them.

MAGICUZ

MAGICUZ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Limping with a small pocket pair in any position is not a mistake,at least in my strategy.A lot of players limp these hands, but not the pros))

R

RDHartsoe

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I vary my play there. Sometimes I will limp and sometimes I will raise, it depends on the stack sizes of my competitors.

G

Gamer4455

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi Gusborgs22. I'm like most. Position and stack size makes the difference. Like UTG, I will try to limp, hoping for no raise, but most of the time there is a raise, and I just gave away my money, since I will fold them. However, most of the time, I fold them in early position, but like in the SB or BB, the cost is what I look at. But you know what? Watch out, because there are player who will not lay down any pair or any A with whatever. GL you all

Zapahlohotrona

Zapahlohotrona

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
We will very often get raised from a very wide range, where the odds of winning a stack with a set are extremely low. It's not enough for us to catch a set, we also need the oppos to hit the flop decently with their KJo.

And in general, playing with open limps is allowed only in small blinds ~ <100. At further levels, if you don't like the raise, then the only alternative is to fold.

V

valetgll

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Sometimes I limp with these pairs. But only with an average stack. Ollin is better when small. When the stack is big, I raise.

Uncloggie

Uncloggie

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
We see questions like this all the time here. I think too many people make the mistake of assuming there is a set or preferred way to play any hand. There are way too many variables, and no details. In my book, judging your opponents' style(s) is half the game. Then there are odds that have to be considered. And sometimes you just have to go with gut instincts.

Cheers and Good Luck !

micalupagoo

micalupagoo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I’ll always pay 3bb on low pockets, sometimes more depending on table

henriquemaduro

henriquemaduro

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey guys
What do you think about the limp strategy with small pocket pairs?
Like 22 an 33 trying to play small pots?
GLGL

I don't like limping, what I do with small pocket pairs is to call when someone before me already raised. If gets to me without any raise, I will miniraise.

A

auslender72

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
l open always 2.5 bb , no limp. why limp? bb will see flop and if is 3 biger cards what will you do?

J

Joselmb31

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would only look for the leg or some strong project, without making a big pot, already after the flop I look to enlarge the pot to get everything out of the villain or I just fold

abgvedr

abgvedr

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Easiest hands to play. You either hit your set or you dont plain simple.
Well dont open in early positions but if table is relatively passive you can limp those whenever you want. Or call raises with enough of players in the pot.

F

FuccinALLin

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For myself i dont mind limping in on pockets and hop for a set.. if i miss first sign of raise im gone

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I am not a big fan of limping because you are throwing the fold equity you would get by raising, but if you do limp its important to make sure the effective stack sizes are at least 30bbs so when you do hit your set you get paid enough to make it worth it.

R

RDHartsoe

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I usually raise with a small pocket pair. 75% I will raise and 25% limp of course there are situations that could effect the percentages through out the tournament.

blueskies

blueskies

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Depends on situation. Limping is fine. Threebetting in position against tight players is fine too. Anyway, if you play small PPs always the same way then it's a mistake.

Just don't go all in with them unless you are down to a few BBs. I see some players threebet all in with small PPs when they have 10 to 20 BBs left. Dumb as F. Best you can hope for is a coin flip unless the other player is dumber than you and calling you with an even smaller PP. (I did see that though with two guys 55 vs. 44. I slapped my forehead cuz I folded 88. I opened with it and then the action went threebet and fourbet all in. I folded, and the 44 guy called. I marked both of'em though. For future reference.)

E

Erickaie

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i think its a good play, because it gives you that weird play where they think you have aaces or some kind of a monster hand, and that will make it cheap for you to see a flop :)

L

Lucky River

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I only do this in late positions, so there is less risk of being raised or 3betted.