Let me know, How do you play at the start of a tournament?

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I play tight and avoid hands with many players

Why?
Why do we want to avoid hands with many players in early levels? Don't we have a great oppurtunity to stack players (or at least win large pots) when we can call in multiway pots with hands that have loads of potential while deep stacked (& in multi-way pots)? (hint... sc's & low-med. pp's).. depending upon the table we're playing on of course & very often there'll be multiway pots in early levels, often with some bad players in them.

Edison A

Edison A

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Why?
Why do we want to avoid hands with many players in early levels? Don't we have a great oppurtunity to stack players (or at least win large pots) when we can call in multiway pots with hands that have loads of potential while deep stacked (& in multi-way pots)? (hint... sc's & low-med. pp's).. depending upon the table we're playing on of course & very often there'll be multiway pots in early levels, often with some bad players in them.
it's simple, I avoid it because I do not know its game, I feel comfortable at a table when I have managed to detect its game mode, usually my first hands are of study

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
NBB,
Honestly wish you all the best on the poker tables & in life (whether they be electronically rigged make believe games or the real thing).
Don't mean to be attacking... just felt frustrated that you weren't able to see what I was writing.
And fwiw, I honestly did want to try to help you to get better at poker. When I wrote about the offer I made to you & when I pm'd you about it, I meant it. I wanted to volunteer a bunch of hours of my time, with intentions of trying to improve your game. I thought it might even be fun for you. It's too bad you didn't take me up on the offer. I'm sure it would do me a world of good.

I'll purposefully not respond to anything you post about from now on... even if you're choosing to state that monkeys can beat a.i. in HU nlhe. If you change your mind about my offer, please feel free to send me a pm. (I won't even tell anyone unless you wanted me to)

gl gl

Edison A

Edison A

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Why?
I am generally aggressive so as not to limit the number of players in a hand that I have made a RAISE, I do not like a hand with more than 3 or 4 players, your probalities of winning decrease, unless you get a good hand on the FLOP

Edison A

Edison A

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
NBB,
Honestly wish you all the best on the poker tables & in life (whether they be electronically rigged make believe games or the real thing).
Don't mean to be attacking... just felt frustrated that you weren't able to see what I was writing.
And fwiw, I honestly did want to try to help you to get better at poker. When I wrote about the offer I made to you & when I pm'd you about it, I meant it. I wanted to volunteer a bunch of hours of my time, with intentions of trying to improve your game. I thought it might even be fun for you. It's too bad you didn't take me up on the offer. I'm sure it would do me a world of good.

I'll purposefully not respond to anything you post about from now on... even if you're choosing to state that monkeys can beat a.i. in HU nlhe. If you change your mind about my offer, please feel free to send me a pm. (I won't even tell anyone unless you wanted me to)

gl gl
hahahaha, I thought that message was for me, but then I looked again and saw that it was not for me

Limited_Al

Limited_Al

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I’ll play tight at the start of the tournament. Just like cash, I’ll raise a certain amount of the pot, and 3-bet/ 4-bet with good hands. I don’t agree with bullying at the start of the tournament, as you’re asking to get stacked when you make a bad call.

As the blinds get larger, I’ll open up my range a bit, but still play relatively tight. Position is important, as always, and bluffing is very rare.

wsbar

wsbar

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I particularly, at the beginning of a tournament, I look for every possible opportunity, I enter into any POT if there is not an increase before me, I even limp, with the intention of hitting the flop, even if it is with 29o in late position. More never go allin, at the beginning of the tournament the goal is to accumulate chips, for later we try to apply other strategies.

zwbb

zwbb

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The early stages of the tournament are a slow game that requires the player to just sit and wait for strong cards.

A tight-aggressive style at an early stage is the key to success in tournament poker.

To play in a tournament you need to think strategically. Do not risk your tournament life, double the stack on the first levels. Remember that the prizes come only a few hours after the start of the tournament.

E

Elvis

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play tight and aggressive at the same time I don't enter the pot with weak hands only if I saw that my opponents are weak and then I try to steal the pot.You have to be patient and wait for good hands and when you got them play aggressive,don't try to enter the pot too much times with weak hands and don't try to steal the blinds because it doesn't worth it in the beginning are very small.

Bal\deu_l1uclOH

Bal\deu_l1uclOH

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Good day! Poker - it's reflection our behaviour in everyday life. And on the contrary. I hope, that your understand, what I talked.

But I play on the first fase MTT with AA, KK and QQ only push, because many bad player can to see flop with very trashes, low or marginally cards.

In other instance, you need to play of the strangeth of structure on the table: if he agressive - you need to play tight. And on the contrary.

P. S. Sorry, for my english! Am I correctly speak? [emoji4]

S

Sorin Iliescu

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
as a general rule of thumb, you play tight in the early stages of a tournament, similarly to cash games play. if the table is really nitty, or sometimes fishy and exploitative, you can open up a little so that you can benefit from their weaknesses.

VITOS

VITOS

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
AT an early stage of a tournament you do not hurry to show aggression, observe players. As a rule, a large number of weak players gathers on this stage at a table. Be ready that they will bluff, act chaotically and to kollirovat everything rates. At an early stage skilled or just strong pokerist can squeeze out for themselves the maximum benefit: to beat out all weak players, to take away their counters and to shoot far ahead.