Late stage tournament strategy

P

Peterbis

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello everyone I have a question about late stage tournament strategy.

Lets say you play a 1000 person field in an MTT. You are down to 30 players.

You rasie 2.2bb from the UTG+1 with 30bb in your stack, holding TT. The cutoff then goes ALL IN with hes 20bb stack from the cutoff

I know he is jamming hands like 88, 99 wich I beat, but I can also be behind or flipping.

The opponent is tight aggresive. Would you call here? I folded, but maybe Its a mistake

I know you should 3-bet a lot and 3-bet jam, late stage right? But what about calling, do you have to be really tight.

He also jam into UTG+1 so should I call tighter and a little wider, if I raised from Hijack

Have a good day:)

BogdanP

BogdanP

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Depends

So the dude went all in and everyone else folded? I would probably call with TT. But if he is tight aggressive … really tight… maybe he holds a better hand. it goes down to your “read”.
poker strategy is very subjective and whatever works on one table could be very wrong to other table. I hope I’m making sense.

P

padman400

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It depends how far are you of the money + TT is dominated pre flop by lots of hands. So for me I would do the same as you.

perrywh

perrywh

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I ask myself should I gamble my tournament with pair of tens?

Zapahlohotrona

Zapahlohotrona

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Tight players should only be accepted with premium hands, but for loose ones both 77+ and KT + will do. Actually, nothing new, you push with a wide range, you accept narrowly. Don't be afraid to play coinflips, in tournaments you won't get far without luck. It is better to read specific articles for push-fold ranges. You can’t describe everything, and I’m not much of a connoisseur.

S

SharkyShark1

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with all the other posts. All depends on how tight the player is, if there are pay jumps and either way the shoving range of this guy can be really wide. I would have folded and waited for a better hand.

DanielSnrL

DanielSnrL

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
With 30 BB I believe you made it right for your fold.

You can look for better spots against this type of villain.

S

slothi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well, tough spot….I would fold too, because you have still a good stack to work with….and you will find better spots to call a preflop push

venycyos

venycyos

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
30 Left there is still no money, if the guy is aggressive it is worth paying, in my opinion, if you lose you will still have 10bb, if you win you will be very comfortable, maybe already drawing to reach a final table. But of course, your reading has to take into account if the aggression comes from the strength of their hands or if he's just putting pressure on.

pirateglenn

pirateglenn

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Calling

Hello everyone I have a question about late stage tournament strategy.

Lets say you play a 1000 person field in an MTT. You are down to 30 players.

You rasie 2.2bb from the UTG+1 with 30bb in your stack, holding TT. The cutoff then goes ALL IN with hes 20bb stack from the cutoff

I know he is jamming hands like 88, 99 wich I beat, but I can also be behind or flipping.

The opponent is tight aggresive. Would you call here? I folded, but maybe Its a mistake

I know you should 3-bet a lot and 3-bet jam, late stage right? But what about calling, do you have to be really tight.

He also jam into UTG+1 so should I call tighter and a little wider, if I raised from Hijack

Have a good day:)

This for me is a call all day long and twice on a Sunday - i believe it would be a flip in most cases but i am certainly not folding 10s with an effective 10bb behind me if i lose the hand, most players tighten up to cash and the only question i would ask was - what was the villains range prior to this hand, if unknown i am still calling however.

VictorOd

VictorOd

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Most likely mathematically it was a call. Also we should consider prize structure.