Late Registration System

M

mecke28

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I wanted to go through what goes on at the poker site I play at when I play in late registration tournaments.

Before I go into that I want to make this quite clear when I play in late registration tournaments where I register 30 seconds to 1 minute before late registration ends.

I usually fold most hands until I place in the money.
On the big blinds is normally where I win hands if I win any hands in the tournament.

Yes that's right I've been in .66 buy-in tournaments 2 times when late registration closed one tournament was 77 players away from the money (which is my record) and the other tournament was 76 players away from the money at the close of late registration and in both tournaments I folded every hand except for when I'm on the big blind and I'm not raised pre flop and I won 0 hands and placed in the money!

I use the timer to my advantage folding just before timer goes to 0 as long as the big blind is coming to me next with 1 minute or less from the blinds going up.

I can force the big and small blinds onto another player especially players with low chip stacks.

At the poker site I play at.
I will start with the.25 buy-in tournament.

The .25 buy-in tournament with a 20,000 starting chip stack I want to see less then 10 players from the money 30 seconds to 1 minute before late registration closes. Il In the poker tournaments I play at if the tournament is at the top 17 players in the money how close is it to approx. 103 players registered where the tournament I normally play in goes from the top 17 in the money to the top 26 in the money. If its no where near the approximately 103 players registered and the tournament is close to 10 players away from the money 30 seconds to 1 minute from the close of late registration I won't register for the tournament.

If its around 14 players away from the money at the close of late registration I call that the danger zone.

For me over 95% of the time in both .25 buy in tournaments (with 25,000 and 50,000 starting chip stack. ) I see alot of players betting aggressively and going all in so more players are being eliminated fairly quick so I'm closer to being in the money, but the 5% that isn't happening then if tournament is at approx.
14 players away from the money at close of late registration then there's a chance I might not place in the money.

In the .25 buy in tournament 50,000 starting chip stack.
At 30 seconds to 1 minute before late registration closes I want to see less then 20 players away from the money.

My record is 22 players away from the money at the close of late registration with me finishing in the money winning
0-3 hands.

If I finish in the tournament 1-3 players from the money then I know my late registration system is working if Im that close to the money.

I currently have over $139 in my bankroll.

S

SharkyShark1

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So you playing poker to just min cash? Not to win?
Your strategy looks like you don't like to play poker and just sit out and wait to you min cash and then you go all-in..

J

Joselmb31

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think that strategy works for you because you don't like poker, I think that anyone who likes poker would use similar strategies when they are required to position themselves, they are very different things.

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I wanted to go through what goes on at the poker site I play at when I play in late registration tournaments.

Before I go into that I want to make this quite clear when I play in late registration tournaments where I register 30 seconds to 1 minute before late registration ends.

On the big blinds is normally where I win hands if I win any hands in the tournament.

Yes that's right I've been in .66 buy-in tournaments 2 times when late registration closed one tournament was 77 players away from the money (which is my record) and the other tournament was 76 players away from the money at the close of late registration and in both tournaments I folded every hand except for when I'm on the big blind and I'm not raised pre flop and I won 0 hands and placed in the money!

I use the timer to my advantage folding just before timer goes to 0 as long as the big blind is coming to me next with 1 minute or less from the blinds going up.

I can force the big and small blinds onto another player especially players with low chip stacks.

The .25 buy-in tournament with a 20,000 starting chip stack I want to see less then 10 players from the money 30 seconds to 1 minute before late registration closes. Il In the poker tournaments I play at if the tournament is at the top 17 players in the money how close is it to approx. 103 players registered where the tournament I normally play in goes from the top 17 in the money to the top 26 in the money. If its no where near the approximately 103 players registered and the tournament is close to 10 players away from the money 30 seconds to 1 minute from the close of late registration I won't register for the tournament.

If its around 14 players away from the money at the close of late registration I call that the danger zone.

For me over 95% of the time in both .25 buy in tournaments (with 25,000 and 50,000 starting chip stack. ) I see alot of players betting aggressively and going all in so more players are being eliminated fairly quick so I'm closer to being in the money, but the 5% that isn't happening then if tournament is at approx.
14 players away from the money at close of late registration then there's a chance I might not place in the money.

At 30 seconds to 1 minute before late registration closes I want to see less then 20 players away from the money.

My record is 22 players away from the money at the close of late registration with me finishing in the money winning
0-3 hands.

If I finish in the tournament 1-3 players from the money then I know my late registration system is working if Im that close to the money.

Thank you for posting

Great job finding a low risk way to build a bankroll. You have found a viable way to min-cash some mtt’s it sounds like you are using the correct criteria for this strategy. Not many players understand that if the criteria is correct it is a +ROI approach

Not all sites are good for this strategy that is why some are asking which site you are playing on.

Do any of the larger buy-in MTT offer the proper ratio of # of players to stack size for min cashes?
If so you may want to take the risk now to see if you can build that bankroll faster rather than wait.

Hope this helps :):)

Edgerik

Edgerik

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
In truth, I like to enter a tournament from the beginning and not at the late registration.

M

mecke28

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Your strategy looks like you don't like to play poker and just sit out and wait to you min cash and then you go all-in..

Hello? As one of Jonathan Little's poker coach would say it's called grinding! It's about building your bankroll!
If you don't like it! Keep quiet!!!!

When I'm making 6 and 7 figures and your not
I don't want to hear it!!!
Apologize now!!!!

M

mecke28

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thank you for posting

Great job finding a low risk way to build a bankroll. You have found a viable way to min-cash some mtt’s it sounds like you are using the correct criteria for this strategy. Not many players understand that if the criteria is correct it is a +ROI approach

Not all sites are good for this strategy that is why some are asking which site you are playing on.

Do any of the larger buy-in MTT offer the proper ratio of # of players to stack size for min cashes?
If so you may want to take the risk now to see if you can build that bankroll faster rather than wait.

Thank You!

I would rather build my bankroll up just like Poker Pro Chris Jesus Ferguson did in cash games building his bankroll to $10,000.

If there are any U.S.A. players in here find poker sites that allow U.S.A. players to play. If you find the poker site in a micro tournament and see me at your table say Hi and let me know that you know me from this site.

Luan

Luan

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
the strategy is to enter 30 minutes before the tournament closes, why?

In my opinion, I see that players who have been playing for around 1 hour since the beginning start to make mistakes at the tables, getting a little tired and then that's when you enter with a light and rested mind and start stealing chips faster and then continue the game until you reach the prize!

P

popstani

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If that makes you happy, why not. I’m late reg. fan to, because I don’t have much time to play, and like tournaments more than cash games or sit and goes, and I think I have good play when I’m short stacked, and I have some good results with that play.

S

slothi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I also jumped in at the end of latereg and did it the way you do…..but if you want more than just mincash you won’t be successful when you do it like this…..so I stoped this strategy…..and by the way: the joy of playing poker starts within the first second of a tourney 😉

nuttea

nuttea

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

0-3 hands.

the strategy actually takes place, if you get guaranteed value from these actions and tournaments, everyone earns as best they can, in any case, and in poker if you don’t play at a loss, you’re already worth something

Subel007

Subel007

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you ask me,i like to enter in tournaments at the beginning

M

mecke28

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Thank you for posting

I did as Poker Pro Chris Jesus Ferguson did except for he did it with cash games starting with .01/.02 tables and then he continued to level up with the proper bankroll until he reached his goal of $10,000.

I'm about learning and training from the ground up with no short cuts!

I haven't been playing much of a tournament buy in over $1.65.

It's about grinding. Building my bankroll, training, taking notes including poker results, how many players away from the money at the close of registration, how much I won if I placed in the money, on poker site typing in notes and put yellow circle meaning caution with notes for that player.

Also red circle for danger and notes including players in the tournament for example when 4 players away from the money (whether I placed in the money or not) I would add in notes of player wouldn't raise or go all-in and have the red circle around players icon.

Now just because I haven't been playing in higher buy ins doesn't mean I'm not watching to see if there is an opportunity to buy in with 10 players or less from the money.

Until I've regularly played in that particular higher buy in Im not going to know how far past 10 players away from the money I can register for at the close of registration.

There is a reason I'm placing in the money over 98% of the time.

There is a reason I have over a $142.00 bankroll with over a $100.00 profit from only depositing $40.00 at the poker site over 4-5 years ago.

My late registration system has given me profit where playing a poker tournament from the start I have mo profit nothing to show for it.

What people have to understand is I've played poker tournaments from the start and late registration tournaments and sit n gos, I try to play in these areas to gain experience.

For people who say I don't like poker,because I don't play at the start of the tournament that isn't true!

At poker stars when United States players could play for money I learned every game there! I loved playing Badugi which there are arguments as to where it originated in,
but it seems to originated in Southeast Asia. My first Badugi tournament was a freeroll and I got 36th place out of 6,000 players.

My favorite poker tournament is pot limit omaha hi/lo and my best tournament for the most amount of players was a freeroll tournament where I got 27th place out of 9,000 players winning mainly with low hands!

Last edited:
M

mecke28

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What site do you play on?

I checked my results and my record is now 31 times in a row I've placed in the money using my late registration system.

My current run right now I'm at 17 times in a row I've placed in the money using my late registration system.

hyfl

hyfl

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I will have to try that. I like playing tournaments right from the beginning, but I was thinking about system like yours

M

mecke28

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I will have to try that. I like playing tournaments right from the beginning, but I was thinking about system like yours

Hi! When I have enough posts on here I can then message you explaining my full late registration.

Like I've said in posts on this site before "You Do You".

My late registration system works for me.

Some players might like some of my system but find that tweaking my late registration system to work better for them is good for them.

If my late registration system is helping you and other players that's a good thing, but while using my system while in a tournament if it's in your advantage to go deeper in the poker tournament making a deeper bankroll then go for it.

Just remember when making decisions in a poker tournament is the risk your thinking about taking worth the reward?

So, I've had 2 situations where I had around the top 5 hands in poker and I'm about to be forced all-in by the big blind.

The amount of chips that we're in the pot was over 90,000! The risk was definitely worth the reward, but just as I knew it was probably a trap by the site as 95% of the time I will not get the cards on the turn and river and Mike Caro in his book would even say over 90% of the time players won't get anything on the flop.

Unfortunately I did lose both hands, but the risk was worth the reward.

It was completely the opposite this morning in a micro tournament as I was chatting with bapfel and JackalPup in the tournament at the table as I was 1 hand away from being forced all in little did they both know I had a decision to make with good cards.

There was only over 11,000 in the pot the risk wasn't worth the reward and I folded.
The next hand I was forced all in by the big blind and won the hand! Oh and by the way the hand before I wouldn't have won.

Last edited:
ADRI7HO

ADRI7HO

On the road...
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Interesting analysis of late registration. It was useful, and as described, it also benefits you.
Although I'm interested in tournament winning, it’s also a walkable path you’ve outlined.

garibe

garibe

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Nice man! Keep it on! *pat on your back in case you need it ;)

fedkov

fedkov

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
Interesting idea about late check-in. Are these tournaments on PS?

Akuana

Akuana

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm noticing that more and more people are entering tournaments with late registration one minute before registration closes. At the last minute, the number of players increases dramatically.

BillyR23

BillyR23

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
I've also noticed many people jumping in when the late registration is closing(sometimes it almost doubles the number of people playing* I've noticed this on unibet especially in some satellites); I understand that this are strategies to maximize your chances to finish ITM but IMO this can ruin the experience at the tables of the recreational players that don't have opened 4+ tables at the same time as many people that late reg usually stall every hand without any reason and this just isn't poker anymore...

It is what it is and I can't really blame someone for finding a strategy that works for him without much risk... GLGL all at the tables!

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I've also noticed many people jumping in when the late registration is closing(sometimes it almost doubles the number of people playing* I've noticed this on Unibet especially in some satellites); I understand that this are strategies to maximize your chances to finish ITM but IMO this can ruin the experience at the tables of the recreational players that don't have opened 4+ tables at the same time as many people that late reg usually stall every hand without any reason and this just isn't poker anymore...

It is what it is and I can't really blame someone for finding a strategy that works for him without much risk... GLGL all at the tables!

Thank you for posting

Your concern regarding the entertainment value of playing then being swamped by late buy-ins is correct. I read an article recently and this practice does harm the players who register early.

Have you emailed Unibet and let them know how you feel. Maybe if more players did this they would reconsider how harmful long late reg is- especially in satties.

You may want to reach out to the Unibet player reps as well and try to get a group of players together to influence the site.

1 persons thoughts are opinion 10 people is a movement for change.

Hope this helps
:):)

M

mecke28

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Interesting idea about late check-in. Are these tournaments on PS?

United States players can only play for play chips at Poker Stars, but I do play late registration tournaments there.

M

mecke28

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
the strategy is to enter 30 minutes before the tournament closes, why?

No. It's actually I'm waiting until 30 seconds-1 minute before late registration ends then register.

The reason is your closer to placing in the money.

What I want to do is not only do I want to place in the money which means I get my buy-in back, but I want to go as deep as I can in the money.

Before placing in the money if I'm not in not in the big blind I only play the top 5 hands pre flop as long as I haven't been raised. Also, I watch how many minutes are left before the big and small blind go up.

I let the timer go down to around 1 second then I fold.

If the blinds are going up soon if I can target a player with a low chip stack when the blinds go up not only does it dwindle there chip stack. It could possibly force them all in from the big and small blinds and antes so you they are eliminated from the tournament.

Making me one step closer to finishing in the money.

Once I'm in the money I want to go deeper into the money.

I'm grinding working on building my bankroll.

That means I allow other players to make the mistakes like going all in and eliminate themselves from the tournament.

Another reason for that is because many times I've played the top 5 hands-top 20 hands preflop after placing in the money and the poker site sets me up to lose the hand and quite possibly be eliminated from the tournament.

I've seen players out of nowhere magically get 4 of a kind! So I know at this moment the site is favoring this player!

This week I played 2 different hands to prove my theory and lost with pocket kings as the player got a straight on the river. That was a indication to me the site might be favoring that player.

I was two players from being forced all in on the big blind.

I got pocket jacks and no player raised to me so I limped in.

A jack comes out on the flop I'm low on chips so I call as I want the other player in this case to raise me before I put the rest of my chips into the pot making it possible for me to get as many chips as I can that are in the pot.

On the turn I get a full house.
I once again call.

The player raises and that's when I put the rest of my chips into the pot.

Each time I play I want to fold at around 1 second left of the timer unless I'm close to having the big and small blind forced on me.

On the river (the same player I lost to on the river who got a straight and I had three of a kind) the player has 4 of a kind now very well indicating the site is favoring this player!

Whenever someone gets four of a kind I put it in the site notes for that player that the site is favoring that player so I know that if the poker site is favoring that player in that tournament, then I know that the same thing could happen in another tournament that player is in.

I also have the red circle around there picture next to there name indicating danger.

If I put yellow around the picture next to there name indicating caution and I have it in the notes what happened.

I was playing in a poker series in 2008 called the All In Poker Series.

They we're playing at restaurants and bars.

There we're 37 players registered in the tournament.

As players we're betting aggressively and going all in I folded my hands only possibly playing the top 5 hands as long as a player didn't raise.

Players continued to be eliminated and I was at the final table.

I continued the same strategy as before and yes one by one players are being eliminated and yes I'm one of the final two players left in the tournament.

The other player clearly has a much bigger chip stack, so I already have it set in my mind I'm probably going to lose and get second place which is still a great job.

We get three hands in and I realize that I could very well win this tournament!

Pre flop the player when it was there turn 1-3 seconds in would immediately raise indicating they had a hand. So, I looked I stalled taking my time looking at my hand then looking at the player taking around 15-20 seconds I would then fold.

I could tell this was messing with the players mind.

As long as this player didn't raise me I would limp in to see the flop. If he hit the flop he would 1-3 seconds into his turn immediately raise. So, I did the same thing I did pre flop when the player immediately raised and it messed with the players mind.

Alot of players who played in that tournament we're very shocked when I won the tournament!

Last edited: