Late registration strategy

B

Big_Rudy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Over the years I have played super nitty in the early stages, and repeatedly been punished for this when some hand I have , like QQ, KK, AA early gets not only family potted, but blown out by some ass shoving or calling with 24o and hitting 2 pair, or a str8. So, I have decided to either start on time, but going to take a shit the first 4 or 5 orbits, or registering late.

Well, imo, it depends on how you're playing these big-pair hands. If you get it all in pre and get beat, yeah that sucks. But if you are raising a reasonable amount pre-flop, getting several callers, and then stacking-off unimproved on most flops, you are going to be beat, usually. In these early stages YOU want to be the one making the big hand and stacking-off other people who can't let go of an overpair or TPTK-type hands.

flatcaller

flatcaller

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Early tournament play is the best time to create your image. You play early on you can play more pots and mess around more. Personally I'll play lots of hands and showdown with lots of garbage type hands. As tournament progresses I hopefully built up a stack and I tighten up and alter my strategy.

Karkus77

Karkus77

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
it makes no sense to late reg in my eyes, surely if you do this on purpose, you either aren't very good at playing deep stacks, or cant handle getting bad meat who called your AA with 62s

to avoid the shovefest................ huh? why on earth do we want to do that, early tournaments are really really easy to play, basic nitty ABC poker, wait for a hand and double up from a shovefester

why on earth would you want to join a tourney, where you have less BB's and everyone on average has twice or three times your stack?, there is a obvious answer to that question, but i aint saying it for fear of insulting anyone :)

B

BlueNowhere

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I won a $2.20 mtt for $419 just the other day doing exactly that. I would try to explain to you my strategy for doing so but you are closed minded and not open for any suggestions whatsoever. It appears that you have an obsession with me just going to anything I post making a negative comment.. I also noticed you made no comment about my satellite late buy in looking for the $1 satellites with few players left.
I 4-bet shoved 78s in a HU yesterday and ran into AA. Obv it must have been a bad move on my part because he had AA. DUCY I'm using this example?

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Early tournament play is the best time to create your image. You play early on you can play more pots and mess around more. Personally I'll play lots of hands and showdown with lots of garbage type hands. As tournament progresses I hopefully built up a stack and I tighten up and alter my strategy.

The problem here is that early in most tourneys, and nearly all large MTT's, the instant your 'image' is established, you get moved to a new table.

Also, in the early stages of public tourney''s that 'playing around' tends to run into a shovefest....... I too like to 'dabble' early, but not so much in a MTT. Works better in smaller SnG's up to maybe 5 tables.

Karkus77

Karkus77

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

i dont play like this at all, early on in a MTT for me is chip preservation, keep your starting stack to make the most of the double up hand, i dont like playing a load of hands, usually dwindling my chips down, then doubling up to back just over the starting stack

also i really dont try to build a image, most of my tournies are smaller buy ins and i know most aren't really paying that much attention or multitabling, and you usually get moved a few times as late reg goes on, so its no big deal

A

AAChipMagnet

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Late registration is a good option in some games, especially the ones with add ons at the break. Even more so when the add-on is more chips than the rebuy itself.

Karkus77

Karkus77

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Late registration is a good option in some games, especially the ones with add ons at the break. Even more so when the add-on is more chips than the rebuy itself.

i must be missing something here, but i just dont see it as ever being a good option? want to explain?

B

Big_Rudy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i must be missing something here, but i just dont see it as ever being a good option? want to explain?

You and me both. I don't mean to offend anyone, but personally it would have to be a very rare occurrance for me to see the advantage in intentionally registering late. Something like late reg is ending, it's a satelitte awarding 10 places, there are 12 left, and if you bought in now, you'd be in 8th place. Something bizarre like that I can see, outside of that, I just think you're missing opportunities by not being there for the early stages.

calicard

calicard

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You and me both. I don't mean to offend anyone, but personally it would have to be a very rare occurrance for me to see the advantage in intentionally registering late. Something like late reg is ending, it's a satelitte awarding 10 places, there are 12 left, and if you bought in now, you'd be in 8th place. Something bizarre like that I can see, outside of that, I just think you're missing opportunities by not being there for the early stages.

That situation is not quite as rare as you think it might be. Keep an eye on the $1 satellites on merge.

Buying into a rebuy 3 minutes before first break is a strategy quite a few players use.

B

BlueNowhere

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That situation is not quite as rare as you think it might be. Keep an eye on the $1 satellites on merge.

Buying into a rebuy 3 minutes before first break is a strategy quite a few players use

Most likely to a lack of understanding of poker theory.

calicard

calicard

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Most likely to a lack of understanding of poker theory.
I knew this would draw negative responses from some. I'll repeat myself it is a strategy a lot of winning players utilize. I do stress winning. A lot of players that are so quick to give advice on how to play a rebuy have never even cashed in one I would go into an explanation of why they use this this strategy but obviously no one cares.

B

BlueNowhere

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I win at HU, it doesn't mean every move I do is optimal.

Karkus77

Karkus77

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I knew this would draw negative responses from some. I'll repeat myself it is a strategy a lot of winning players utilize. I do stress winning. A lot of players that are so quick to give advice on how to play a rebuy have never even cashed in one I would go into an explanation of why they use this this strategy but obviously no one cares.

dont get so defensive, i asked 4 posts above you for someone to explain to me the advantages pretty please!

calicard

calicard

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
dont get so defensive, i asked 4 posts above you for someone to explain to me the advantages pretty please!

There are different types of rebuys. Some are unlimited some are limited to a certain amount of times you can rebuy. At the beginning of a rebuy you have a lot of hyper aggressive players pushing and calling with anything. If you are in a limited rebuy starting from the beginning I will give you just one example of over a 100 where you get screwed. Players in rebuys go for pots with money in them. What that means is if UTG raises to 10 BB he will most likely get 6 callers or more sometimes the whole table. When it gets to the BB He then either reraises or shoves all in.At that point what is going to transpire is this utg will call which makes it 2-4 buy ins in the pot. You are sitting there with JJ but by the time it gets to you there are 4 all ins.If this is the limited rebuy and you have bought in double that means your JJ must win or you will be eliminated. (If you were thinking of just open shoving your JJ first time the bet came to you same thing will happen at least 4 callers.) That is just 1 example of where you will be screwed. Players are there to get chips or get out that is the mentality. The good thing about that working in your favor is this you will end up getting monster stacks vs small stacks this morning I was at a rebuy and had 56,000 chips the next biggest stack on my table was 7,000 chips. Okay at this point the monster stack is just that a monster just gobbling up chips left and right.Remember this is a limited rebuy where you have to last to the break in order to get your add on most do not. So the advantage of joining these at break is this you get 2 buyins and an add-on which is going to put you about mid field of entrants. By then there will be a field of about 100 left out of 250 starters. That means that by waiting till break you enter the tourney in 50th place out of 100 players with 27 places being paid. At this point players are supposed to tighten up and wait for gh's but a lot of them do not there will be several really really short stacks that either cannot afford to add on or are too naive to add on. At this point it is up to you. you are sitting in 50th out of 100 players. There are also certain playing styles that are used in an unlimited rebuy. That can be utilized by buying in 10 minutes prior to break. But the same thing goes as far as your position if you just do a double buy in and an add on you will still be in mid position about 50 out of 100 players. This is for merge or cake poker. Due to the number of entrants

Karkus77

Karkus77

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
thanks for the post Calicard, i can understand why some would use that tactic, i will stick with the belief your better off playing from the start

i have played plenty of rebuys and turbo rebuys, and i just think there is so much money to be made from the nutcases early on that its just so -EV to miss all that

thanks for the explanation though

D

DaGAMES

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
thats funny you made this post because my friend is going to be playing event 52A but he just got off work so he has to late register but i think its not a bad idea to let the blinds go up a little because in the beginning its going to be very deep stacked like a cash game and you will probably run into some tricky spots. if you have a 50bb stack then your decisions will be simpler and it will be easier for you to get action from the big stacks. phil hellmuth likes to late register but that may be because he has to make an entance lol. hope that helped and GL!

Karkus77

Karkus77

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
thats funny you made this post because my friend is going to be playing event 52A but he just got off work so he has to late register but i think its not a bad idea to let the blinds go up a little because in the beginning its going to be very deep stacked like a cash game and you will probably run into some tricky spots. if you have a 50bb stack then your decisions will be simpler and it will be easier for you to get action from the big stacks. phil hellmuth likes to late register but that may be because he has to make an entance lol. hope that helped and GL!

thats just horrible, registering late because you cant play deep stacks, only joining when its shove or fold is just for bad/lotto players, sorry

D

douglaced

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
its hard if you get in too late..... i look at the average stack in the lobby if its 2x or more the starting stack i dont even register.....ultimately i reccomend getting in when it starts or the first few minutes of late registration otherwise youo are playing catchup and it is a big disadvantage

P

pat3392

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just wow, just wow at some of the posts here

I mean, obviously not capitalizing on edges early game when there's tons of tournament fish and somewhat deep stakes is bad; we're tournament players, what are we gonna do when our over-pair gets raised on the flop lol? Go broke? Much better to not be in the situation and just shove when short stacked instead, lol not worth learning how to play medium stack poker, too hard, + Phil Hellmuth does it so it's gotta be good

F

FcukStryker

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Carbon runs a 1500k guarantee daily. You can late reg until the first break, at that point you can buy in for 2 dollars and get 31500 chips for 2 dollars, granted others can add on 30k as well, however a lot of people have given up at that point and I see a lot of people who don't add on at this point. I myself with a good stack don't add on but I'm going to try a late reg and add on for the 2 dollars. I see people literally buying in a minute before the reg ends, add on, have 31k, and do fine because it's only level 9 at this point and the blinds are only 200/400 and you still have 78 BB's.