Late registration starting chips

A

AliceBazooka

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I play in a lot of free/low fee games that allow for late registration. It is obvious that some players are deliberately waiting until the cut line is near before entering so they can easily make it into the money.
Would you be in favor of sites gradually reducing the starting chips for players from the time the tournament starts until late registration closes to reduce the advantage late entrants have over players close to being eliminated?

TulasMoreno

TulasMoreno

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
MX
Chips
What advantage? When they register with the late registration the blinds are high for them, so in my opinion this is fair for both perspectives.

sharipov8090

sharipov8090

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
All this does not play any role if you entered a little later,on the contrary if you entered before and the chances you have more because the game you started faster)

A

AliceBazooka

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
What advantage? When they register with the late registration the blinds are high for them, so in my opinion this is fair for both perspectives.
Example: 800 players remaining cut is 771. Player A has 100 chips left and is 772. Player B enters with 2000 chips and is positioned 444 and Player A moves to 773. Blinds are at 200.
Player B only has to fold once or twice before enough players lower in chips are eliminated to close registration and move the field into the money.

Last edited:
A

AJantwan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If there were an advantage, take advantage :) Sign up late.

But there's not. Yes, you're less likely to bust early (since you can't), but you're also less likely to build a big stack. In order to get a decent stack when registering late, you're going to have to double up via some pushes that are at best 75/25, but probably closer to a coin flip. Which isn't any different (and perhaps worse) than building a decent stack with an "on time" registration.

belizebum

belizebum

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BZ
Chips
I think there are advantages but not necessarily just getting to the money. I personally think that the tourneys last too long, especially when it's a freeroll. Five to six hours to win less than $10 is crazy and that's if you make the final table, so coming in late and trying to gain chips to get in the money is more fun. Most of the all in/bingo players are gone. That is definitely an advantage.

Cody5991

Cody5991

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play in a lot of free/low fee games that allow for late registration. It is obvious that some players are deliberately waiting until the cut line is near before entering so they can easily make it into the money.

Would you be in favor of sites gradually reducing the starting chips for players from the time the tournament starts until late registration closes to reduce the advantage late entrants have over players close to being eliminated?

I don't have a problem with late registration as it puts you at a serious disadvantage due to the blinds being higher despite starting with the same number of chips as everyone else did when the blinds were small...yeah you have people who will late register intentionally and make the money at times but its not anybody whos going to win the wsop next month...these people have very low confidence in their ability to play if they are the sort who intentionally just late register in hopes of getting to the money not to mention they usually don't play a hand or they will go all in the first hand after they join.

Lena M

Lena M

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hello.
Personally, it does not matter to me. I am just trying to enjoy the game, improve my skills and avoid mistakes.

lcid86

lcid86

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I see it a lot, and occasionally I will sign up late. But, blinds force you to play the first decent hand you see.

Pimp 007 x

Pimp 007 x

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There is no true advantage in signing up to a torunament as late as possible.

1. Blinds and antes will chew your stack up in a matter of turns, which translates on playing very few hands, and will push you to go all in with any ace # hand.

2. Getting into the money easier is nothing more than a myth. You will never be able to register late enough to be in the bubble, or anywhere near it for that matter. It depends on the field size, but more likely than not, you will still need to double up and have luck in your side to get there...

3. You're better off playing from the start or from a point in the tournament that you're not constantly worried about being blinded out.

4. No time to study opponents.

I personally don't register late, as I said earlier, there is no true advantage to it. I'm better off trying go build a big stack from the start.:D

PaxMundi

PaxMundi

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I dont think it's an advantage they're in a crapshoot with only a few BB's.

teepack

teepack

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
They get a small stack already because of the increasing blinds.

MAGICUZ

MAGICUZ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I like to check in late.I immediately go all-in, doubles at once or fly away,all or nothing,I do not see any advantage here.

Newzooozooo

Newzooozooo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hi.
The greater the number of participants participating in the tournament, the greater the number of prize places. Therefore, I am convinced that everything is taken into account proportionally.
Good luck.

Transcendence

Transcendence

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No, it should be honest, because he also makes the same buy-in and for me with a large stack is a tidbit say so 35 000 to 5 000 I did not notice when the blinds are already 1000. Fair enough it is making a buy in and he runs, he's even worse than us! Good luck to him )) Good fish ) Yes, of course I saw some people are lucky, will go from 5,000 with the blinds at 1 000 one in al and they can be 15 000 they still all inyat, and it is dangerous! Yes, no easy opponents, ensli they are lucky but these players are a big risk say 20% 80% 20% they have to hold on, I'm talking 100 20 -15 secepatnya still is fish, although there are some tournaments where the stack is equal to 10 000 there increase the percentage to 30%, they win a few tournaments, most win initially played!

infonazar

infonazar

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
In my opinion, such moments are not so important. Players who start the game at the late stages of the registration take on additional risks.

W

who115

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A lot depends on what the blinds are at, what the starting chips are and whether or not it is a re-buy. A lot of the re-buy ones I play in have an "Add-on" after the rebuy is over which kinda evens it out for everyone. But I am thinking in a regular tournament you would be way behind starting late. I mean yes you'd be ahead of some of the lower stacks, but the chip leader would be WAY ahead of you.

8bod8

8bod8

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Theory says that starting from the beginning is better.
Maybe you can skip few rounds to get rid of most all-in monkeys.

J

Jam_V92

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I believe that entering late registration is a disadvantage, with the exception of the copn add-on tournaments in which they can take advantage of that.

vov4ik

vov4ik

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don’t think that any exceptions were normal for them, but developers could reduce their late registration to tournaments, I understand that late registration for tournaments takes 10-20-30 minutes, but when registrations take 2 hours or more, I’m very I don’t like such tournaments, you knock out players from the tournament and they are added even more within 2 hours, there are very good tournaments and with a good prize fund, but for me I don’t like that there is more than 2 hours of registration in tournaments!

BobbyMorton

BobbyMorton

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There is no advantage against the higher stacks:):):)

U

underdog140

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
To answer your question, No......

Blinds increase so there would be no need to subtract chips from a person buying in already at a disadvantage.

I do miss the days where rebuys/reentry and late registration weren't the standard rule sets.

B

bstest

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Nope, if you feel it is an advantage to enter late, do so. Good luck.

Poker Chips - History of Chips