Late Registration

M

mecke28

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have over $137 and my bankroll at a poker site using my late registration system that is figured out 8 days before Halloween 2020.

This week I was playing in a tournament that was a part of a Poker series at the poker site and it was $11 buy-in with 113 players registered.

At 1 minute before late registration closed the tournament was six players in the money.
I registered at 30 seconds left of late registration.
When late registration closed we were two players away from the money.

About 7 to 8 minutes later two players were eliminated and I was in the money.

I finished 13th Place and won $21.01.
I only won 1 hand in that tournament.

In one of Mike Caro's books he says treat poker and your bankroll as a business.

For example last night I finished two players out of the money.

My bankroll is over $137 using my late registration system what they started using 8 days before Halloween 2020 and I started with $0.08 left in my bank roll.

This week at the poker site I play at there's a poker Series going on and I played in one which was a $11 buy in.
113 players registered in the tournament.

The tournament was six players in the money one minute before late registration closed and at 30 seconds before late registration closed I registered.

At the close of late registration we were two players away from the money and after 7-8 minutes two players were eliminated and I was in the money.

I finished 13th Place out of 113 players and won one hand.

I was reading one of Mike Caro's books and he said treat poker and your bankroll as a business.

Last night I lost in a poker tournament two players away from the monet.

And Mike's book he talks all about it.

I can't go and do something drastically playing a bigger amount tournament that could damage my bankroll.

So I've actually went 3 to 4 days not playing any poker.

My thought process is you do you. Do what works for you.

I when I'm playing at another poker site this afternoon and then tonight I'm going to look into the two tournaments I normally play if it's to my advantage and register late registration.

Last edited by a moderator:
Andrew Popov

Andrew Popov

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't quite understand why last week was 2020.

O

odonob

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I find that late registration is better because you are fresher. You could enter a tournament an hour earlier and still have the same starting stack as you could have if you late register. It’s rare enough that you build up a good stack early, maybe one in ten times or less.

Ssssssnakes

Ssssssnakes

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I tested it; turns out, it works...

At first, this thread made a spammy impression to me. But there was a "freeroll" with a 1 cent buy-in that was shortly before the end of its late registration.

So, I gave it a try....

Around 3 minutes before the late registration, there were roughly 950 players with 900 paid places. That was close enough to me and so I signed up.

Besides me, roughly 100 others had the exact same idea. This lead to an increase of the number of players to around 1,050. On the plus side, the lowest pay-out level went up to 990 leaving the gap to the pay-out roughly the same as before.

After my buy-in I had a couple of good hands and could establish myself quicky. Unfortunately, I forgot to take a screenshot from the bubble. But as you can see, the rebuy break was only 18 minutes after the end of the late registration.

At the time of the rebuy break, the tournament was already 165 players in the money. Even if you just sit-out and then lose quickly, you could still turn one cent into five.

If you ask me, that's good enough.

PS: I just finished the tournament myself on place 467 after another 30 minutes of trying to avoid the unavoidable. (Someone got a third Jack in the flop while my Queens remaind a pair..)

It's why I don't like the huge MMTs, the chance of getting somewhere is simply to slim. But if you don't really care if your factor is five or eight, dropping in at the last moment can still be a strategy worth your while.

Attachments

• ´buy in.jpg
    ´buy in.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 13
M

mecke28

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Late Registration System

When I go into a micro buy-in tournament for example ($3.00 or less) and I haven't registered late registration (30 seconds- 1 minute) as in I don't normally play in that particular buy-in tournament then I only want to register when its 10 players or less from the money.

Keep in mind if I'm 30 seconds or less from late registration closing for example if the tournament is 8 players from the money then more then likely more players will register going over 10 players from the money when late registration closes.

I always watch how close is the tournament going to where it increases how many players are in the money.

For example if the tournament is currently at the top 17 players finish in the money at the poker site I play at how close is it where the tournament goes to the top 26 players in the money?

At the poker site I play at where I normally play the .25 buy in tournaments for either tournaments 20,000 or 50,000 starting chip stack I know that the tournament goes from the top 17 players to the top 26 players in the money when approx. 103 players have registered in the tournament.

I know at the .66 buy-in tournament I normally play starting chip stack 50,000 it goes from the top 71 to the top 107 players when approx. 430 players have registered for the tournament.

I also know in the same tournament that when approximately 660 players are registered for the tournament then then tournament goes to the top 152 players place in the money.

The more that I play in late registration tournaments and even before late registration ends the more information I know when the tournament is going to increase how many players finish in the money.

Also, in the same .66 buy in tournament I normally play at
If there's over 430 players in the tournament how close is it to the approx. 660 players where the tournament increases 45 more players in the tournament to top 152 players. in the .66 buy-in I normally play at.

I focus on that on every late registration tournament I'm considering buying into.

My record is placing in the money 25 times in a row.

Ssssssnakes

Ssssssnakes

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The more that I play in late registration tournaments and even before late registration ends the more information I know when the tournament is going to increase how many players finish in the money.

That makes a lot of sense. But I do wonder for how long that inefficiency will last. Normally, you would expect for just as many players to register in the last minute as it needs to give the average player left a 50% chance of getting ITM.

My record is placing in the money 25 times in a row.

Not bad, relly not bad. When you reach the money in a tournament with very small buy-in, do you play them for real or do you sit-out with reaching the money?

For example my 1 Cent test tournament went on for almost an hour until I finally got kicked out and I am sure, the final table was another two hours away. The winner ony got like 20$ which is too little as that it would make sense to put in that much energy.

What was the bigges buy-in you tried and what was the best position you ended when using the late registration trick?