Late Registration?

D

DerlyGR

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When playing a tournament, do you prefer to start from the first minute or do it during late registration?

darthjewel

darthjewel

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If forced to choose I will play from the beginning, but I prefer not to play at all. Why, because it artificially extends the tournament time.
Now the average registration time is an hour sometimes even two and the whole MTT lasts 4-5 hours.
Imagine a soccer game that starts with only six players, more joining later.
Then during the half time you could buy two addon players for the price of some free kicks.

A

alien666dj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I prefer to play from the beginning of the tournament, and not late, just because at the beginning there is a chance to increase my stack. After all, often in late registration you have to buy additional chips.

Mezzzzzza

Mezzzzzza

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Prefer to play from the start in all tournaments but will late reg deepstacks as an hour or 2 in you can still have a playable stack. Normal tourneys or turbos I rarely late reg as a general rule. Only exception is if there's a lot of overlay #no_limits_mezza

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If I am already playing, and a tournament begin, which I want to play, then I will register to it in advance, so I play it from the first hand. But if I just started my session, I dont mind late regging some events, so I can get 3-4 tables up and running rather than sitting and waiting for new MTTs to begin.

niphon56

niphon56

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Most of time i play during late registration.

Sometimes i play under the last minute of late registration. ;) it's small buy-in games.

T

Tony0

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I never late reg or rebuy but do not understand the hate it gets. Folks buying in with a short stack and inflating the prize pool... What's not to like?!?

M

Mahereid

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I prefer from the beginning. I don't see a good enough reason to choose the late registration on purpose.

Iryna Stryzheuskaya

Iryna Stryzheuskaya

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
I prefer to play from the beginning of the tournament. But I think that if there is a late registration in the tournament, it is good for those who are a little late. The main thing is that late registration is not too long.

Edgerik

Edgerik

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
I always sign up at the start of the tournament, so I have less pressure with my stacks.

Psyanide14

Psyanide14

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Depends on structure to me. If it’s a bounty I want to get in early so my stack can knock people out as the later you change the higher the average stack will be and the less people you can knock out, as well as some of the prize pool already being awarded. If it’s a normal tournament and a two hour plus late registration period I’ll typically join an hour in or so just to decrease the long time playing if it’s a large MTT. Just so long as the blinds are still reasonable to the starting stack.

kley126

kley126

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
I like many times to enter almost when the late is running out if I manage to double it and you have good hands possibly I enter into cashes I have already done it

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I like to be present at the very beginning, but typically playing tighter. Why should I continue to do this and give up my blinds and possible antes if I could just register later? Simple. I want to be there to see how others are playing and that information I'd miss out on if I arrived later. Additionally, many fish at the start of the game are practically handing you their chips in the early stages - they might not last until the registration period ends! I'm not usually looking to double up that early, but sometimes I've doubled my stack or increased it a lot simply by playing straight-forward and someone paying me off on an "obvious top pair" or Flush or whatever else.

jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Lol at all the assumptions in this thread that regging early is the nuts.

I late reg 99.9% of my games. Most within the last 5 mins of registration. I cash in 42% of my games with an ave ROI of 80% in MTTs.

I also "save" about 2-3 hrs per game of unnecessary game play/time.

Enough said? :)

Last edited:
G

Gamer4455

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
In my opinion, starting from the start is the best. That way you have time to build your stack.

sharipov8090

sharipov8090

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I always try to enter at the beginning of the tournament.Late registration will quickly eat up your stack and meaning.Late registration as luck is lucky, not lucky.So I make myself comfortable at the beginning of the journey and do as much as I can in the game, and even so I get a good result.But if you compare, I prefer early registration.

Johnny78B

Johnny78B

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
If it is PKO I prefer to start from the beginning. For other types it is ok for me during the the late reg.

eniseysmail

eniseysmail

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
My preference is to start from the very beginning. Since late registration is very difficult to pump up your bankroll. First, some players have already increased their stack. It will probably be easier for them to overcome you. And secondly, they already roughly understand the general situation at the gaming table, namely, who is capable of what.

slicheri93

slicheri93

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
sometimes 20-30 minutes later in tourneys with low blinds feel like i get less action with someone with 100bbs from the start and you get more action from shortstacks who jam wide

same with ko tourneys like to cover almost everyone so i late reg those aswell
works for me and doesnt work for others ;)

R

redmast

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I always try to start the game right away. As long as the blinds are small, it is possible to play a good card. With late registration, the choice of card is limited due to the big blinds and you have to play post on allins.

manzanillo53

manzanillo53

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Close to the start, starting at the end of late registration does not give you enough chips to get past a couple rounds of blinds. Rather try and build a stack at the start.

H

Houdini9

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't mind the late reg. as long as rebuys are allowed - I think of it as a mulligan (golf). Never hurts your risk to be able to recover from a fatal mistake unlike freezeouts. That being said, I usually skim the 1st 2 hours of any late reg tourney just to shorten the full duration.

GL GL,

HOUDINI9

G

Gusborgs22

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Depends.
Hyper: register in the first minutes
Turbo: first minutes - running for 20 min
Slow/regular: first minutes - running for 1 hour (MAX)
You must see the blind level. If you are going to start with 10bb, dont worth. 40+ bbs for me is okay

Jay_Romey

Jay_Romey

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Regular Tourneys, late reg with more than 40 big blinds. No late reg. in PKOs