Late registration

Warrior1961

Warrior1961

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What is your opinion about late registration ?

It catches my attention that in almost all the tournaments that I register have late registration up to an hour after (even until I have seen three hours) of the start of the tournament ....

What do you think? Is that good or bad ??

I have also read that there are professionals who use it as a strategy.

Thanks in advance for your opinions.

Best regards from Buenos Aires.

BRANCASLIM

BRANCASLIM

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
Hello mate !! I am also from Buenos Aires, late registration can be useful in slow tournaments, but if the tournament you want to play is turbo, I recommend that you register at the beginning, since if you decide to enter late you may not only find yourself at a disadvantage with others rivals, but you will also enter with very fair BBs and your movements will be limited. Cheers!! and good luck!!

Iryna Stryzheuskaya

Iryna Stryzheuskaya

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
I do not like the long late registration in tournaments.

Nikolay Nakhaev

Nikolay Nakhaev

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
it’s good to have one moment in late registration
You can increase your stack at this point or lose everything

M

moosepaw

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
One time I found myself in a final table $0.10 entry tournament where the blinds increased so slowly that even the short stacks were deepstacked the whole tournament.

I always paid attention to blinds and increase amounts/rates ever since!

edenman1

edenman1

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I do like the convenience of late registration, but I think it should be 20-30 min max..

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Late registration is convenient for players and profitable for poker sites, so like it or not, its there to stay. With late registration its actually faster to get into the action in tournaments than cash games, whereas without late registration you would have to wait for the next suitable tournament to start. And then the next, and then the next, if you want to multitable.

As for weather or not you should late registrate, it depends. Players entering late actually gets an ICM-advantage, because someone has already busted. But they also get less time to outplay their opponents, and they get less time to practice or have fun.

I typically late register to avoid waiting, but I also tend to avoid being very late. I would rather buy into a tournament, that has been running for 15 minutes than one, that has been running for 1 hour and 45 minutes.

Finally it also depends, how you feel about deep stacked play. 888 Poker has some 8,8$ tournaments, which start with 8.888 chips and 30/15 blinds so almost 300BB deep. In those MTTs I have twice gotten an early dubble up, because someone made a huge mistake for stacks.

One player stacked off AA for almost 300BB in a single raised pot, when I flopped a set, and another stacked off almost 300BB in a limped pot, when he had the dummys end of a straight, and I had the nuts. This is something, you rarely see in cash games these days expect maybe at 2NL. But often tournament players are not used to deep stacks, and they dont know, how to adjust.

If you are not there from the beginning, you miss out of such profitable spots. But to be fair a lot of the time the early blind levels are just a lot of threading water with minimal impact on your stack. So I can understand also, why some people might prefer to cut the tournament short with half an hour or so.

M

martinf1971

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like late registration, I like to come in when I have 10-15 BB. But I am a little in patient. Start of tourneys when you have 75 BB and you get people calling on 9 4 o/s they hit a straight and you've got pocket Aces that really gets me so I go to where people take less of a gamble.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I like late registration, I like to come in when I have 10-15 BB. But I am a little in patient. Start of tourneys when you have 75 BB and you get people calling on 9 4 o/s they hit a straight and you've got pocket Aces that really gets me so I go to where people take less of a gamble.

Short stack poker is actually more of a "gamble", because you need to risk your entire stack way more often. But if you are not familiar with, how to play with deeper stacks, then you protect yourself from making costly mistakes by avoiding it.

It is not the ideal solution though, so I would suggest you to play some cash game poker to practice playing with a deeper stack. Buy into some 2NL games for 2$ and learn, when you need to fold those aces postflop in a single raised pot.

mkdrummey

mkdrummey

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would prefer 10 minutes max for late registration. If I sit down at the start of a tournament and have a bad run, I get tilted seeing players sit down an hour later with more chips than I have.

The upside can be a freeroll at a site with low traffic, where sometimes you can sit down at the very last minute and be close to the bubble, but that is a rare thing now with less sites around and less freerolls.

3 hours late registration is just stupid. Fine for a massive game like the sunday million, but for low value games it shouldn't happen.

L

lablelarry

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I know sometimes if I'm getting low in chips, I'm kinda jealous someone can just buy in super late and have a lot of chips, but I find usually the awful players are there at the start and if you aren't there to take them out someone else will and they will have the high bankroll early

cranberry

cranberry

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don’t like tournaments with late registration. I think, that tournaments should be played from the very beginning, because it allows you to increase your stack due to weak players.

L

luskata27

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I also don't like the long late registration in tournaments.

Shawnt

Shawnt

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Register late?

Ill only register late if the blinds don't exceed %5 of my stack. I cant get in a game and in the first hand have 1/1 my stack committed

moulan7

moulan7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't really like it mainly because I can't calculate the size of the field.
These tournaments sometimes start with 500 players and end up with 2000 or more. (sometimes even way more)
I take into account that 1000 more, at least , they will enter the tour until late reg. ends. (especially when late reg. is 2h long)
Other than that I don't mind, although I prefer myself to not enter a tour if the blinds are too big for my starting stack.
And that's because I like deepstack poker. Shortstack is a variant of the real game xD.

Warrior1961

Warrior1961

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well, first of all thank you all for your comments. I see different opinions and tastes. Particularly it seems to me that late registration can be beneficial if the tournament is not turbo.

Warrior1961

Warrior1961

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello mate !! I am also from Buenos Aires, late registration can be useful in slow tournaments, but if the tournament you want to play is turbo, I recommend that you register at the beginning, since if you decide to enter late you may not only find yourself at a disadvantage with others rivals, but you will also enter with very fair BBs and your movements will be limited. Cheers!! and good luck!!

Hello partner how are you

Nice to see someone from Buenos Aires here. I think there are some more Argentines. When you like, we speak privately.

Best regards.

H

howiepoker

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't mind late reg as long as it's a reasonable amount of time. 6 hours of late reg for ACR tournaments, for example, are ridiculous and turns off recs like myself.

riverlizard3

riverlizard3

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
to long

I find that most are to long.
i would prefer that they only last not more than an hour.

In live tourneys its a relief when they are cut off and you can begin to work your way up.

Redbull199030

Redbull199030

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What is your opinion about late registration ?

It catches my attention that in almost all the tournaments that I register have late registration up to an hour after (even until I have seen three hours) of the start of the tournament ....

What do you think? Is that good or bad ??

I have also read that there are professionals who use it as a strategy.

Thanks in advance for your opinions.

to whom as a brother. I always register in tournaments late it suits me.

D

digdug0037

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I really do not like the way ACR has it, mostly way to long. $rounds of late reg is enough no mater what the blinds are. I feel they should at least offer shorter periods of it. I get it though, they are in it for the money and late reg is alot of the money they recieve.

Rahatis

Rahatis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Most recreational players' mistakes are most crucial at later stages so...

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I get it though, they are in it for the money and late reg is alot of the money they recieve.

Exactly. Late registration give people more tournaments to enter, and they play in each tournament for a shorter amount of time, which mean, people will play more tournaments. Therefore late registration is profitable for poker sites for the same reason, that turbos are profitable. The fastest tournaments like Spin n Gos are a huge money maker for poker sites, and allowing people to register for an MTT with a 10BB stack is kind of the same thing. Often its over in a few hands, and then the customer buy into another tournament.

nikoszwtos93

nikoszwtos93

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You need check ur starting chips and how far u are from the other players. I always make a late registration at least 30min not more