Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi There
I have a doubt
Ok You´re in a freeroll
Why is that a lot of players (10% of the remaining ) join the game
when it´s close to the end of late registration? And the blinds are very high?
Is there any trick on that?
Comments pls
Rgds

PackinPat

PackinPat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When I do it, i'm just trying to double up. Time is money, it's a freeroll

L

Ltech

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Late registration fail

I just entered a tournament in late registration but I think it was not worth it. Well, the blinds are too high. I hope I have more patience next time.

P

pjokay

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Following Pat above you can very quickly double up and will often get called when shoving. The can sometimes then put you in a reasonable position with little time invested and you have not had to invest as much time.

The decision making is also a lot easier at this point often polarised to shoving or folding.

djasset

djasset

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i late reg all the time... mainly due to convenience and laziness

HobokenNJ

HobokenNJ

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I prefer a short late reg period. If its too long, the newcomers are coming in with the intent of doubling up. Endless streams of people coming in and going "all in" is tedious. (Okay, I admit I've tried that too, sometimes successful.)

I try to join on time or nearly on time.

Bluffzone68

Bluffzone68

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BZ
Chips
Hello
I prefer late reg. But not very late as the blinds shoot up when you join too late.
Maybe like 10-15 minutes late is good.

guineasqueak

guineasqueak

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Shortened (or disabled) late registration helps keep the player field smaller in advance.

The practice of no late entries after CC freerolls start benefits everybody.

63burner

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Huge Field late reg is justified..

If playing tourney with a large number of entries,you might as well join late, when the blinds are up. When almost 1500 enter, for example, the later entry, a lot of the lesser shove all-in types will be gone, decisions are simpler, needing to double, triple up, just to keep pace.
I'd much rather add later than grind for hours, have one or two hands go against you, pfft, you're gone.
Adding late, splashing around, and if you end up losing, its not even painful; you didn't go through the work to build a stack.

xOneCoolHandx

xOneCoolHandx

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi There
I have a doubt
Ok You´re in a freeroll
Comments pls
Rgds

Some people (a lot of people actually) just get in because they just logged in or just got knocked out of something and get in to see if they can hit a quick double up or two. I do this often as a strategy. When you come in during the later rounds, yes, the blinds are higher, but most of the loose, pushy people have either been knocked out or have gotten a few double ups and have tightened up. A LAG player like me can come in, even with a short stack, and chip up frequently enough to stay ahead of the blinds until I have the cards to take down some big pots or keep chipping up into contention. The reason for this is because these later rounds are rounds were the tight players have survived and (like I said) the l loose players are either out or have accumulated enough chips to settle down. Play in general is not 3-5 players shoving every hand. Real poker is generally being played. Another advantage is that you do have the starting stack. When you sit down and the blinds are low but you are folding most of the time because of all the crazy pushes, your stacj starts to dwindle and your playing a shorter stack against a lot more people than you typically will if you wait.

I do not suggest this strategy to everyone because this strategy does not favor all playing styles. You have to be aggressive but also smart for this to work because being too aggressive will get you busted, you have to choose your spots and really have good reading ability. But, if you can do it, it can be a very successful strategy. I typically final table a few freerolls a week and I rarely start the tournament until the last few levels.

Rob Hobson

Rob Hobson

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Here’s the thing:
FREEroll.
Why not see few
flops, anytime, for free?

Last edited:
FlamengoBR

FlamengoBR

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I 'm always in a rush so late registration helps me to play one hour and a half after the tourney had started.
I wish CC PS had late registration.

crimsonblur

crimsonblur

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yeah exactly time is money might as well just go for the 50/50 when you get the chance and not waste an hour on a freeroll you probably wont cash

M

mtmigmike

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
the sooner you start playing freeroll tournaments, the more chances you have to increase your bankroll, the rest probably just do not have time to register

Risto234

Risto234

põrandaalune pokkerimängija
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
EE
Chips
I usually use late reg in 888 freerolls(if it's possible) cause then it basically saves me (valuable) time and it's still realistic to finish ITM in most of them despite joining in the last min of late reg :cool:

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
If you are good at push-fold strategy, then I think late registration will suit you !!!

W

who115

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It saves time. That is why most do it.

ssangyongpoker

ssangyongpoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you don't have to play for long hours when you register late for a tournament towards the end

also when you late reg at the end, you will have roughly anywhere between 8-12 bb

if you win 2 or 3 flips you will be a top 50 stack

gon4iypes

gon4iypes

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I'm not a good push/folder....I prefer to chip up a bit here and there so I usually start earlier

TheBandit

TheBandit

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
maybe

Sometimes I am just late to the party but then I will open up my game and push a little harder on prime hands. good luck

Zvezda kz

Zvezda kz

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hey.
I try not to do that. But for a freeroll, it is quite reasonable not to waste time, but to play push-fold, double luck and keep playing.
This is more typical for beginners.

A

abyk

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi There
I have a doubt
Ok You´re in a freeroll
Comments pls
Rgds

they do it because they think they would lose too quickly if they don't ,and this way they have a better shot at winning something

some tournaments have like 1 hour late registration, and by the time late registration is over, you are almost in the money

I think it's a terrible idea to do that, because you should aim to win the top prizes and not the bottom ones

Ygtszksn

Ygtszksn

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Late reg is good for freerolls.. coz its freeroll so everbody going all in :) and its about time mate ;)

Waffle3113

Waffle3113

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My thoughts on going in the late registration period especially in freerolls is that people begin to play a lot tighter. You don't see as many all in especially pre flop, people know its getting close to the money and want to stay in.