Knockout tournaments

M

moshie

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I liked them too. But have a harder time when my premium hands don't hold up.
Often I cripple a stack and the next time the player is in some else gets the bounty.
I don't like when half the field is sub 20 blinds, it becomes bingo sometimes because
of the bounty, I don't play a crazy range that you can drive a truck through, so chipping up for me is sometimes slow.

D

dregan

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Good tournaments that suit me. Sometimes I play there.

Matt_Burns88

Matt_Burns88

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I've never really played as I'm a bit of a traditionalist and prefer the straight freeze out structure, but I do understand the lure of KO tournaments.

I need to dedicate some time to learning the differences in approach to KO compared to FO.

Aremaz95

Aremaz95

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
They are very good to get rewards quickly but they have their disadvantage that almost all the time you will find cigars all in players that will go with everything with any hand

Igor Popadyk

Igor Popadyk

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I also like this type of tournament, but so far there has not been much success, my opponents close it for a knockout and so far the variance and tilt cover me

antonis32123

antonis32123

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
I have played some series of this kind of games , soem tourneys , but I have no success , i cannot play more of them and play more expensive buyins , at least for now :) I prefer the normal games , not the KOs , too much action for me :)

MAGICUZ

MAGICUZ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I didn’t like these tournaments before, but recently these are my favorite tournaments.My best result was in tournament 11, went through a satellite for one dollar.As a result, i stopped at 5th place, in a place with knocking out it turned out $ 700.Not bad for one dollar)

elizeuof

elizeuof

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I like this modality, I get good results, I manage to recover the buyin most of the time when I don't reach itm.

D

Delfino

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well I don't like it that much. Some of you mention that it's nice to get some money for knck-outs even if we don't get into the cash. But that money is taken out from the prize poll. So if we want to have the same expected EV we actually need to knock out players which is risky.

Here comes the main aspect of the game. Due to knock-out structure it becomes profitable to do some marginal calls only to win the bounty. We should call with hands that we would normally fold because of that extra equity in the pot. This causes much more bad beats and generally increases variance. Bigger variance is bad for the good players but it's good for the worse ones. And in micro stakes poker too much calling is a problem even without bounties...

It's just another form of making the game "more atractive" for players who just like to gamble, rather than learn good poker. Of course good players can adapt to this kind of tournament and exploit it but they will face bigger variance and bad beats anyway.

W

wpilson70

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well I don't like it that much. Some of you mention that it's nice to get some money for knck-outs even if we don't get into the cash. But that money is taken out from the prize poll. So if we want to have the same expected EV we actually need to knock out players which is risky.

Here comes the main aspect of the game. Due to knock-out structure it becomes profitable to do some marginal calls only to win the bounty. We should call with hands that we would normally fold because of that extra equity in the pot. This causes much more bad beats and generally increases variance. Bigger variance is bad for the good players but it's good for the worse ones. And in micro stakes poker too much calling is a problem even without bounties...

It's just another form of making the game "more atractive" for players who just like to gamble, rather than learn good poker. Of course good players can adapt to this kind of tournament and exploit it but they will face bigger variance and bad beats anyway.

Had to scroll the entire thread before I found the one post that takes into account the whole picture.

Most of you talk about how much money and KO’s you’re scoring. And one guy on the whole thread points out that it comes out of the total prize pool. You’re “winning” your buy in back and that’s always a good thing and you’re chasing a smaller overall payoff because the bounties take away from that overall prize pool

And yes. You get people who chase a LOT in bounties. Those draws.....those gutters......double-gutters......killer one-outer rivers......and making your opponent “pay to see it” doesn’t aways work because (maybe) he’s bounty chasing so he can make his buy-in back.

I prefer a true freezeout tourney to a bounty, and I prefer both over rebuy tourneys.

Last edited:
E

enzomyn

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Does anyone like knockout tournaments? I figure out that i am making nice anount by playing these tournaments. If i am playing 2.2 dollars tournament i am making minimum 14-16 dolars + placemant at tournament. Not bad at all.

Knockout tournaments are really good, however, care must be taken with the variance and the level of aggressiveness that these tournaments show, as players tend to play ahead wanting bounty's and the tournament itself is faster.

kara260588

kara260588

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I do not like these tournaments. since I can’t play aggressively. All my attempts to play aggressively failed. Since they defeat me with small cards. Most often, people bypass me only using luck.And when in every hand someone moves all the chips, it’s just annoying. And just if you want to get something from the tournament, you have to play with those cards that I usually fold.

erik_lima

erik_lima

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I just played a few KO tournaments but I did'nt like it. Other players always call your all in to get more money, and I think there is more lucky envolved than regular tournaments.

E

Enimen18

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't like knockout tournaments because they don't fit my style of play. I tend to play tight/aggressive until the last stages of a tournament. I lie waiting in the weeds but don't often knock many players out until the final stages. I let others knock each other out. Therefore the money that gets taken from the prize pool and goes to knockouts I never receive much of.

saha2000

saha2000

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think knockout tournaments are good for players who use aggressive tactics from the start. In addition to building a stack, they can also earn bounties for the head of the player they eliminate.

D

Delfino

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Aggression is good in poker but calling all-ins is not agressive poker ;)

mkdrummey

mkdrummey

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't like them. It becomes too much of a lottery when a short stack goes all in and you end up with too many players coming over the top. Too many players in a hand makes your chances less even with a strong hand. A lot of people like them and fair enough, but it does not suit me.