Knockout or regular tourneys, which ones are more profitable

K

kristersb123

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What you guys think which tourneys are more profitable? Bounty tournaments are probably better for ROI because you don't need to reach ITM to get some money back but in regular tournaments its less risky and better chances to get deeper because less players will you call you off. So in overall, whats better?

SPANKYSN

SPANKYSN

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It depends on how you play. If you are very tight and patient, you may never get a chance to knock out another player for the bounty, so regular tourneys might be best.

I have always liked to play live with at least one KNOCKOUT at the table...as long as my wife doesn't find out !! LOL

Izzeee

Izzeee

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
PKO's are nice because of the bounty's. However as previously stated, If you're a NIT you may never get a chance for a bounty. If that's the case it's likely best to stay with a regular tournament structure.

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Personally I play both but I think the regular tournaments are better for profits overall. It does soften the swings a bit for me but the early game becomes a bounty fest at time and not worth it.

mervin88

mervin88

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
knockouts' have lesser variance due to bounties but not sure it will be more profitable though

K

kristersb123

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Personally I play both but I think the regular tournaments are better for profits overall. It does soften the swings a bit for me but the early game becomes a bounty fest at time and not worth it.
Yeah I agree with you that regular tournaments might be more profitable but bountys are pretty good too because there are more recreationals and one bounty is almost 1/4 of buy-in back to you.

M

Medina

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends on the style of play, which variation is right for you.
I'm thinking about, if the early stages of the tournament are not your strength
you can't easily to collect bounty. In this case, it will not be profitable if you play knockout.
I also fall into this category, for me regular tournaments are ideal.
On second thought, it seems like a very good offer to get the buy-in before ITM :)

takinitSLEAZEE

takinitSLEAZEE

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I believe it all depends on your preference. It's kinda like izzeee pointed out, if you like marathons then a normal mtt is the way to go. If you prefer more of a sprint then the bounty's are the way to go. One cool thing about winning a bnty trny is that you collect your own bounty. Sweeeet.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
knockouts' have lesser variance due to bounties but not sure it will be more profitable though

Its actually a higher variance format, because bounty hunting induce a lot of wild action. You often have to take part in things like a 3-way or even 4-way all-in, which you would never get involved in without the bounties.

C

Cooking

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think it depends of the style of poker you play, I only play bounty tournaments when it's omaha tournaments because I know I'm aggresive playing omaha. But NLH I usually play tight, so, I prefer regular tournaments.

ATL2000

ATL2000

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I pretty much agree with most of the replies.

If you play pretty tight like I tend to do, then the regular tournament format is going to be better. If you like to mix it up and build a big stack, then you can definitely flourish in knockout events.

daddybrooks

daddybrooks

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Profitable? Well, regular tourneys for sure. Bounty tourneys just have too much variance to allow for any kind of regular cashing overall.

If aggressive (and also of course lucky) can make a bunch in a bounty tourney, but will most likely get knocked out of them more often well before the bubble. Whereas solid playing in a regular mtt can usually get you in the money fairly often. Still have to at least get to final tables in any kind of tourney to really end up profitable in either case however.

D

danydidi

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I play knock out but bounty is not my target ,as soon as I have some money I fold most of the hands I only play secure hands ,then quickly lot of players are eliminated and
I am in the payroll. Most of the time I succeed and make some money.

Sintubai

Sintubai

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I preffer KO events.. generally the players are more loose agressive than regulars and i think the way to ITM its easier.. on micro stakes..

C

cornedbeef

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i like the knockout games with bountys more fun

finaltable1

finaltable1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
KO's a re more profitable in the long run.

B

blata8ruga

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For me personally regular tourneys are more profitable because I play a bit more conservatively. Though when I play in knockout tourneys I am prepared to pull the trigger and have done ok in a few.

gabrielcsgo93

gabrielcsgo93

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I prefere regular tournments! When i play K.O. i see that everybody goes all in easy!

A

alien666dj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think that regular correctly selected ones are more profitable than knockouts. To play knockout tournaments, you need to play well with a push-fold strategy.

Z

zipocool

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
knockout tournaments are more suitable for loosely aggressive players, ordinary tournaments are more suitable for tight ones, since there are no such frequent stacks and fight for the opponent's bounty, on the other hand, in knockout tournaments you can get out very quickly, plus even without getting into the ITM zone due to the bounty

quick

quick

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I've been enjoying PKO bounty tourneys (progressive knockout) more lately. But they definitely play more aggressively than regular tournies.

Lena M

Lena M

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I think it all depends on the style of play and temperament of the player. I prefer MTT tournaments and choose for myself, if possible, only slow tournaments. I don't like turbo or hyper tournaments, because I think such tournaments are a lottery. I prefer slow tournaments where I can wait patiently for my favorite situations. In general, MTT tournaments are more profitable for me.

flattershay

flattershay

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Bounty MTT's are far better imo. Reaching ITM on regular tournaments is pretty hard. Sure, you'll get 2-3x of your buy-in but only 15-18% of player get to it. On bounty tournaments on the other hand, you can get your buy-in or even more without getting to ITM or get to ITM more easier, because it's mostly 1x of your buy-in.

R

royalflush122096

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Knockouts are more profitable then regular tournaments.

Alizona

Alizona

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Progressive knockouts are by far the best value, for numerous reasons
1. Winning one is the largest payout in all of tournament poker, especially if you crush the final table and KO everyone yourself. It can and does happen.
2.You can actually be profitable in a KO long before you even reach the money, and at that point you are literally "freerolling" the tournament. Talk about a fun opportunity to absolutely crush... this is the only type of tournament where this can happen obviously.
3. It is much easier to get paid off with our biggest hands, because most players understand that half the prize pool is locked up in the KO bounties and they are much more willing to get all in with weaker holdings and go for those bounties.
4. PKO tournaments finish faster than regular tournaments, mainly due to point #3 above, there is more action and thus more knockouts and therefore the field size reduces down quicker than normal.
If I have the choice between playing a PKO and playing a regular tournament, I will ALWAYS pick the PKO and its not even close. I often play regular tournaments and find myself sad during the event that we don't have bounties to play for. LOL PKO's have "ruined" my love of a standard tournament, they seem boring in comparison!

My opinions obv, the one big drawback to a PKO is that you can make the money and still not turn a profit, because the regular portion of the prize pool is obviously much smaller than it is in a regular tournament when half the prize money is locked up in the bounties. It's a real downer to make the money without having earned a single KO along the way... but that is almost irrelevant, the reasons I listed above more than makes up for the negatives.