Knockout Holdem

D

digdug0037

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm just curious on what everyone thinks about knockout tournaments with bountys? Does your strategy change when playing in these or do you play the same way as normal tourneys? If you play differently how so?

C

Criminal Bizzy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My strategy does not change at all. If I happen to get a bounty then I happen to get a bounty but my focus is getting to the final table so that I can get 1st place.

skaniol

skaniol

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BG
Chips
I think they are very different compared to a regular freezeout tournament. In a KO you can't utilize survival strategies successfully, because a small stack here means two very important things:
  1. You'll be the favorite target for everyone on the table. The smaller your stack, the juicier it looks. More people will try to get involved in a hand with you, so multi-way pots will be more common when you put chips in the pot voluntarily.
  2. You can't benefit from KOs yourself, because you can't eliminate a bigger stack. It's not uncommon to see an all-in player just crippling another, quickly followed by a 3rd player finishing the crippled player in a subsequent hand, thus "stealing" the bounty with less risk involved.
For these reasons, it's extremely important to maintain a bigger stack. A tight playstyle isn't an option. You either become looser or a loser. When everyone is looser, the games become more volatile, so your BR management is even more important.

V

vittopio

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I try to play such tournaments more aggressively! Because many players in the pursuit of knockouts greatly expand their opening range! And of course, this is a regular tournament where a little more fun for the fish!

KozakAlex

KozakAlex

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm just curious on what everyone thinks about knockout tournaments with bountys? Does your strategy change when playing in these or do you play the same way as normal tourneys? If you play differently how so?

I try to knock out more. Although I play as usual, nothing changes.

A

Arthur ZM

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My strategy is changing in such tournaments. At the beginning of the tournament I play tight for tacos to accumulate more chips and then try to knock out players with a big knockout reward.

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Definitely changing !!! For example, when I play in a regular tournament, then a player is considered to be short (at the beginning and middle of the tournament) about 10bb and in a tournament with knockouts this value increases to 20bb !!!That is, you have to play more aggressively !!!

Iryna Stryzheuskaya

Iryna Stryzheuskaya

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
I like these tournaments. Often players play with weak hands and you can pick up their chips.

PatriceM915

PatriceM915

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Good afternoon Boy
Of course the strategy for me is the same just add a feature to pay all in stacks below 2BB in order to win your bontly regardless of the cards I have in hand. And the same move.:)

milka1605

milka1605

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I favor these tournaments. I do not change the tactics of the game and I think that there is no need for this. This is the same tournament as a regular one without knocking out.

MMaki1981

MMaki1981

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
My new favorites

I just started playing in Knockout tournaments the last couple of weeks and they are my new favorites, especially the SKOs. At first the idea of bounties intimidated me but once I played my first one I got over that real quick and realized how much fun they are. I am finding that the KO tournaments are the games I look forward to the most.

As for my style of play, I don't really alter it too much. I might just be a little more aggressive than normal to get the bounties but my range of cards to play definitely gets smaller.

M

mrT

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
my strategy stays same but like the bonus when knocking 1 out so ur buyin gets paid and it becomes a freeroll :p

77ecos

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
more aggressive, many players go with anything just to get the bounty so you should be more aggressive than usual :smile::smile::smile::smile::smile:

infonazar

infonazar

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I rarely change my strategy, but in bounty tournaments I play more aggressively. This is probably the main difference from regular tournaments.

nuttea

nuttea

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
of course changing! Settlements with Chip EV in PKO tournaments make no sense, as individual rewards for players can radically change the decision in a tournamentKnockout tournaments have an interesting feature. It as a whole is the main and main difference between these tournaments from many others. When one or several players has a very short stack left on the table, everyone starts hunting for him. This is due to the fact described above - it is very profitable to play against it. In case of loss - you lose a little, win - you get the rest of his chips and, more pleasantly, a bounty for him. KOs are the only tournaments where money directly “clashes” with chips. They need to learn how to convert.From here some thoughts begin. If you have a short stack, then your potential to double, or even triple, is much higher than in a regular tournament. Since in a knockout tournament people will strive to go all-in with you even on a weak hand, trying to get a reward for you. Left with a short stack, do not worry, the chance to return to the game in such tournaments is the highest among any others.
Having a large stack, you have much more opportunities than your opponents. Do not forget about this even when you are one of the "middle peasants" on the table - mathematically correct pressure can put on you. Sometimes it’s worthwhile to endure and not to meddle in the struggle for knocking out a shorty

Ranish625

Ranish625

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
These are my favorite tournaments, but the strategy of the game remains unchanged, I play as always

N

narc

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have a tendency being with a big stack, I go with a larger range of hands against small stacks.

dimon4ik89

dimon4ik89

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I really like knockout tournaments, I love turbo and regular tournaments. I choose a tight-aggressive strategy game, very rarely bluffing. This is a very good variety of tournaments for stable money making. The main thing is to have patience and in spite of unsuccessful hands, do not make mistakes.

tihomir_kula

tihomir_kula

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BG
Chips
Aggressive strategy is obvious. Min 2 knockouts to be posittive before reacing money.

MMaki1981

MMaki1981

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
KOs are my FAVORITE

I think they are very different compared to a regular freezeout tournament. In a KO you can't utilize survival strategies successfully, because a small stack here means two very important things:
  1. You'll be the favorite target for everyone on the table. The smaller your stack, the juicier it looks. More people will try to get involved in a hand with you, so multi-way pots will be more common when you put chips in the pot voluntarily.
  2. You can't benefit from KOs yourself, because you can't eliminate a bigger stack. It's not uncommon to see an all-in player just crippling another, quickly followed by a 3rd player finishing the crippled player in a subsequent hand, thus "stealing" the bounty with less risk involved.
For these reasons, it's extremely important to maintain a bigger stack. A tight playstyle isn't an option. You either become looser or a loser. When everyone is looser, the games become more volatile, so your BR management is even more important.

I completely agree! My playing style definitely changes up in a KO tournament, I have to be more aggressive than I normally would otherwise I will just get chipped away at.

I personally LOVE KO tourney's because you don't necessarily have to make it ITM to make money. In many tournaments, I have made more in bounties than if I had placed in most of the paid positions:D.

thetzarofpoker

thetzarofpoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

You have to play more agrasive.. now you have 2 ways to win.. i personaly like them

619Leafs

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
My strategy does not change. If anything it stays the same because if any change, the results may not be successful.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Really good explanation from Skaniol! Of course you need to adjust to bounties. If you dont, you are much better off sticking to regular tournaments. You also dont want to late register or rebuy except in the very few first blind levels, because some of the bounty price pool has already been distributed, so you are not even contending for that money!

And finally bounties twist the math off all-in pots. You should be more inclined to get it in, if you can score a big bounty by risking a small amount of chips but less inclined to get it in, if the other player has you covered, or his bounty is insignificant relative to his stack.

The only time, bounties tend to not matter, is in the traditional format, where they stay constant, and most of the field has already been eliminated. At that point it become more or less like a normal tournament. This is not the case with bounty builders though, because the bounties get larger and larger, as more players are knocked out.

G

gryphon3005

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If the bounties as a total represent half the total money at stake then playing to win some bounties is just as important as trying to reach the final table. I try to play a wider opening range from the beginning with aggressive betting pre-flop. I'm looking to build a stack that I can use mid-tournament and later to make isolation bets on the short stacks to grab their bounties.

S

Steve Deeble

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I really enjoy playing in knockout style tournaments. I try as much as possible to keep the strategy the same regardless the type of tournament I’m playing.

Live Dealer Holdem - Texas Holdem Poker Rules