kk in tourneys IS IT WORTH IT ???

W

wilywiles

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Generally, anytime I get KK Im the same as you. Ill go all the way with them. Preflop at least. Admittedly, I usually will be get busted at one of the latter stages of hte tournament by not folding to an all-in will a hand like KK or AK or QQ and find myself at the shortend. However, under the same token my progress in the tournament in the first place can be attributed to playing those hands the same way. Raising and reraising is automatic with those hands, and I can't say I am a good enouigh player to ever fold preflop with KK. thats also why I get busted with them. What happens most often is that its not aces that beats me. It'll usually be a smaller pocket pair that hits a set. And when I look back to review my game after I leave a tournament after getting bused, I usually come to the same conclusion that I made the right moves in every situation, because often times when I've busted I was ahead when my money went in. But the villain catches up and there goes the day. I think its just a frustrating part of the game but you gotta roll with the punches

madjek

madjek

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sometimes you play a hand perfectly and someone plays theirs terribly and you still lose to them. Playing live tourney tonight I get KK and raise 6x bb pre after 3 limpers in front of me. They all call as well as the bb. Flop is 4 8 10 rainbow so I bet close to pot. The big blind calls with A8. 10 on the turn and I shove as I am well past committed and am relieved when she calls and turns over her A8 . Of course river is another 8. As I am digustedly standing up and walking away I hear her say "I feel bad" . Sometimes poker sucks

Robmrjet

Robmrjet

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
I think............

This here is why I think CC should have a like button, or vote button, on the individual replies in a thread.

Reading this should keep people in remembrance of how tricky playing poker can be.
It is a skill. Not luck. The end game is the winning game.
You have to last to win. Endurance.

((as a side note..I am giving myself 12 months to play again online..))
(( at the end of that 12 months...))
((I will be on the positive side of the ledger book near the top))
(or I'm done with it.....I think ...I'll be ok) :turtle:

I had developed a playing style I don’t use much anymore, although maybe I should with how often my KK loses to an Ace-rag. But in this playing style, lasting longer in a tournament is more important than collecting chips. Now, keep in mind, this only applies to late stage tournament play, especially near the bubble and definitely would never apply to cash games.
Most of the time, poker players focus intently on the amount of chips they have and the amount of chips they could win if they stick around in a pot or raise the betting. With Survivalist poker, you have to change your strategy. Play hands with your focus on what will allow you to last longer in the tourney. Collecting chips is only second place to the amount of time you've lasted or could last if you don’t lose an all-in. Yes, you could last long IF you win the big pot, but how much playing time would you lose if you los the pot?
Having 5-10 BBs is ok, it’s no reason to panic and go into a shove/fold mentality. You can still have a lucky orbit and be back up to 20+ BBs in no time. Instead, shove/fold should be reserved for being down to say 3 BBs or less.
You also don't have to be concerned with collecting a large number of chips all at once. If you can stay in the 10-20 BB range you're still surviving.
Now, with a healthy stack, let’s say you get that KK or you make 2 pair and there’s a possible flush on the board. You bet modestly and then someone comes over the top with an all-in. If you’re playing to win chips/money, you would call in these situations hoping to dodge the flush draw or perhaps pick up a full house. If you’re playing to last as long as possible, you would fold to the all-in, and sacrifice the chips you put in for the sake of surviving.
When playing to survive, surviving is the only thing that matters.