Just trying to place and sitting out of the tournament

R

ritehere

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
To be a good poker player you have to enjoy playing the game. To be great you have to truly love the game and play it to the end. Sitting out of a tourney just seems a little wishy washy to me (kinda like expecting a true answer from the government). Now clearly sitting out is your choice to make, but as for me if I was going to sit out, then I just wouldn't enter.

M

McDrix

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If your goal is to be in the money it's ok and that way you avoid getting busted by a fish. But you are leaving a lot of money on the table. If you are consistently getting ahead on MTTs you could play very tight once you reach the amount that will get you thru the bubble and come back more aggressive once the bubble bursts.

B

bon2great

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
sitting out

This is a strategy I've only employed in freeroll tourneys (where the payouts aren't very juicy). When you expect to be playing for another 2 hours (for 1st place), and the grand prize is like $7, then sitting out can make sense if you're very deep stacked. Sometimes your time is worth more than your potential to earn a few more dollars, and I can't tell you how many tourneys I wish I had just sat out of instead of playing.

Now if we're talking about tourneys where you actually invested money, I can't imagine anyone advising you sit out if you don't have to. At the very least, you should be sitting there waiting for a monster hand to shove preflop.

I agree with DudePoker on this one

Melbell

Melbell

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Agree I would only do this in a freeroll, but only if I couldn't finish the game. Your fellow players might get annoyed.

P

PLAYFUL1

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Playful luvs her freerolls and play them on as many boards as possible with great success

D

dejan85

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you need to play and try to win more not juste sit otu.....

K

kozong

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
you're not actually setting yourself up for failure - but you wont achieve success by doing that

so.. umm yeah mediocrity can be nice too ;)

L

LifeLab

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi All,

So I just played a different tournament and towards the end instead of leaving, I kept playing and was able to keep most of the blinds and won a couple big hands. When every level up in payment I would wait until I placed and then I would start playing competitively again. I did well but made a bad call towards the end which ended my game :(

I ended up placing at 15th from around 2k of players.

It's kind of a hybrid from all of your comments yesterday. I was conscious of the $ but also the game. Does this sound reasonable. At least I stayed in which was true test of my discipline!

K

kapable71

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
sitting out

thats not a strategy thats a chicken shit way to play,either have the balls to play the game or dont play!!

V

valanddon

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I play in tournaments that you are at a table of 9 players and there are 2 or 3 players that are playing the game. I think that
players that miss three rounds of play should be deleted from the
game, like 888 poker. We want to play against people, not empty
seats that take up space for others that try to get into the tournament.
If that is the only way people can get into the payout then mabye they
should quit poker!

K

karl coakley

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
While I understand what people are saying about sitting out, I totally agree with you. Most of the time people "hurt themselves" when they get a big stacks. They simply get tired, bored, ect.. and get into pots they shouldn't be in. When in large field tournaments with slow blinds I have no problem sitting out for an hour, and I do it frequently. I'm just not going to lose that many chips.

Contrary to what is posted above, this is actually done frequently live. You often start with large stacks and there are very slow blinds. It is not uncommon to take long breaks. Go to the bathroom, take a smoke, get a drink, stretch your legs, maybe even get something to eat. I am going to be far more effective being "fresh" and having a few less chips than playing straight for 6-8 hours.

I would suggest that rather than "blind out" you step back in the game at some point, but I don't see a problem with long absences.

manolo salazar

manolo salazar

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think while you are doing that you are giving up to the opportunity to learn more, get more final tables etc. The main goal for you in a tournament is to win it .

E

Erase209

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you play in freerolls or small niinami, usually at the end of the stay or really experienced players or lucky=) So most likely you just don't have enough experience to competently played before prizes.

S

SeriousBizzness

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi All,

Within the last 4 times I've played in a tournament (with more than 2K entrants) 2 times I've failed, but the other 2 times I've succeeded in making it into the money. Basically once I make a certain amount (around 50K in chips) I just log out of the game. I've come in 9th and 15th in these two tournaments.

Is this ill advised and am I setting myself up for failure? It just seems relatively easy and I go right into another tournament once I've accomplished my goal.

Please let me know what you think. Your advise is important!
Only way I would do that is if you knew that you were going to lose it all. Have confidence and play. Try to get first place. That’s always my goal. But I could see you not betting as much or only playing the nuts. But I guess whatever feels more comfortable for you. Me, I’m trying to turn that 50,000 to 100,000. And so on...
Lol

P

PKRNRS

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah that choice is yours to make. I have sit out from time to time but it's a rare thing. I come to play most times and that's what I will do. It's an interesting concept that would happen only online. Players would never see this in live play. I wouldn't rate your success on playing like this though.

22meandu

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My biggest win live was achieved while having a great day punting the horses. I was up and down like a cat on a hot tin roof and i think this annoyed most of the players at the tables i was on. I would win a pot and leave , win on the punt , come back full of the joys of life and bet like i was unbeatable , getting lucky most times . Players seemed to want me gone and gave me chips by overbetting B grade cards .
If your timing is good , sitting out is a great ploy.

8bod8

8bod8

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It seems you're very capable of collecting chips early.
Either not confident, or something else later in the game.
Especially freerolls are good for practice.
Practicing with a big stack: analyse your opponents, stays away form big pots, marginal hands.
You'll see that the game changes and you should change as well, all depending position, stacks and opponents.
By sitting out you don't improve.
You'll loose chips due to mistakes, but bad beats will be ok on average, so: learn and make less mistakes.

O

OneMoreTry

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've been thinking about this too. After every bad beat, probably. :D

But it doesn't make sense as a strategy. Only "bad beat mood" can lead one to that idea. ;)