Just started playing heads up SNGs...

D

Deceitful_Frank

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey guys,

After a year of so of playing full ring microstakes NLTH cash I thought I'd give heads up a try and the $2.15 HU SNGs at Tilt seemed a good place to start.

Been playing for few days and wanted to share what I have figured out so far and ask a few questions too.

Ok I am playing a very aggressive game pre flop which I belive is good and stats seem to be running at about 46/41 though strangely my VPIP for the button is 63 and for the BB is 30? Obviously there is a reason why these dont add to 100?!

My default raising range is about 75% OTB and 25% on the BB. Is this a good place to start and how would you guys suggest I adjust this with different player tendancies. I display a hud with VPIP PFR 3b and F3b but this seems of limited use over the tourney that might run for 40-50 hands!

Thoughts?

Also I think it seems wise to divide the contest in to about 3 stages. Starting at 75BB (150 in the deep stackers) I feel the most confident as it feels closest to the cash games I am use to and my postflop play isnt too shabby. I read theat once you have a 3:1 chip lead you should begin to bully your opponent more, much in the same way you would in a HU cash game when someone buys in short. Keep the pressure on untill they play back, repeat and stack off as soon as you make top pair?
Once either I or villain gets down below 15BB I really suck! Just basically dont have a clue and feel I am just there to build up a chip lead and then enter a crap shoot! Can you guys offer advice and/or point my in the direction or some good info on tournament engame?

Do I play the same whether its me of him that is the short stack or should I sit and wait while he graually recovers?

Lots of questions I know and there is so much more I could ask...

Thanks in advance,

Frank

S

sherbert

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
HEADS UP?

I would play heads up, but I find it too nerve racking!!! I like playing full tables---knowing that every possible combination could be their every hand. With heads up it's just to much bluffing involved on both sides that has to take place. It's like playing at the final table of a tourney when it gets down to the last 2-3 players. I like to play poker to relax---not to be in a battle every hand 1 on 1. Some like the 1 on 1 battle feel--- I find it not as much fun as a full table. Can't say I have much advice to give on the 1 on 1---as I have never found it fun to play heads up poker. At the end of a long fought tourney---YES---but to play it every game I play---No. Good luck with your heads ups!!! :boxing:

S

switch0723

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
your vpip for the button and BB are mutually exclusive, they aren't supposed to add to 100%. A vpip of 63% from the button, means you are putting chips in the pot from the button 63% of the time and folding the other 37%, it has nothing to do with the bb. The inverse is the same for the BB

Its tougth to give general advice for husng's, since each opponent is different, so you need to be able to get reads within 15 hands, then play according to them. As i said general advice is tough to give, you are better off posting hands you were stuck on.

When stack sizes are ~15bb, use this http://www.holdemresources.net/hr/sngs/hune.html

pm me if you want help on hands