Antonioadv

Antonioadv

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I'm going to make a rant here, if you don't like it, I hope you'll forgive me. Yesterday I got access to the platinum level, today I played my first tournament at this level, I thought that platinum level players were people who studied the game more, but what I could see at the table where I was playing is that it looked like bingo, every move started with all in, the game became very boring.

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think platinum level is based on number of quality posts + time. it doesn't represent level of skill or study. just like someone buying into the $10k wsop me doesn't necessarily mean they're a professional player who has studied the game for years. it might just be a random with money who likes to play.

you might not like it, but players can play however they like as long as it's not cheating. and you need to accept that not every one is going to play like you or how you want them to. can it be annoying? sure, but you need to get over it because it's part of the game, especially in freerolls.

what you should focus on is your own game and strategy because complaining about these players aren't going to help you. not saying you can't complain, but complaining isn't a strategy to beat them because you're going to see it in every freeroll.

so, with that said, be upset about it but, also, think 'what can I do to get pass these types of players?'. 'what strategies can I apply that will increase my chances of doing well against loose freeroll players?'. etc

BetterThanAvgButNotByMuch

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You were expecting freerollers to be mid stakes players?

Mid stakes players won't bother with that stuff unless they're using the players as test subjects to play against something like wsop where you have a lot of rec players in the tourns or something similar.

Learn to deal with the folks that are clueless. The shoving all in with AK with 100+BBs, lol or bluffing with the pot is nothing, lol. They're at playchip tables and freerolls.

They're everywhere though.

You can't get away from them regardless.

They've been showing up since the Moneymaker effect and won't be going away.

So yeah, it can be frustrating and I get it but you should work on playing them.

If you can't find some form of winning consistency against non skilled, bingo players then you have zero chance at the higher levels.

Find out what works for you and improve it.

M

martDdart

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
NO
Chips
hello,reminds me of the beginning of most turbo/hyper freeroll tournaments I have played it is mind boggling.

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I'm going to make a rant here, if you don't like it, I hope you'll forgive me. Yesterday I got access to the platinum level, today I played my first tournament at this level, I thought that platinum level players were people who studied the game more, but what I could see at the table where I was playing is that it looked like bingo, every move started with all in, the game became very boring.
Most players who really care are better than the average players overall. The thing is we do allow anyone who qualifies for the game to be allowed to play no matter the skill level. Just play you game and you will beat the ones who are driving you nuts.

This being said, I have been lucky to have played some bigger live event including a WPT main. What I have found is even in those games and WSOP event you will findt some really bad players and some who are just willing to gamble, Yes it not as bad as microstates but it does happen.

RhinoRyan89

RhinoRyan89

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips

Welcome to the Jungle

We got fun and games lol

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
hey, hey, hey.

there is nothing wrong with getting it in pre with ak for 100+ bbs in a freeroll.
Really hope you're joking, lol

NO, THERE REALLY REALLY IS A PROBLEM if you think your game is better than those donks.

Especially if you've been playing for awhile. Zero, Zero reason to play that. ZERO

They can't play flops, that's why they do that nonsense. Or they're overvaluing drawing hands.

They're dead scared. Why would I lower my game to that nonsense?

And if someone doesn't care about the quality of the game then there's no reason to play it is my thinking even if its a freeroll.

If you're going to dedicate the time then play. If not . .then don't.

If its practice time then do practice don't waste time.

That's that, and I'm not getting on you phil so don't get fired up, llolol.

but now is my time to rant about the freerolls, lol.

LOL this person is not alone, I felt the same way, lol.

And no I'm not going after the Cardschat folks because I appreciate the Moshman course (although I hate his starting hands, lol) , the freerolls (that I rarely play but have the option to if I wish), all the podcasts and the boards that allow me to think about poker so I can't kill them, lol.

But last year when cardschat was posting daily tourns on ACR. I was hoping I was going to get some practice at least, at least against some folks that knew starting hands in whatever game it doesnt matter holdem, mixed or whatever lolol. Nope.

I played a few of them and half the tables were sitouts, lol.

The ones not sitting out out were aggressive donks with trash, or they over played the hands or they got into a hand with the only person at the entire table that could do damage to them lol. I mean. . . Horrible. Basic, UBER basic tourn/poker stuff.

The only time that I can say they took the game seriously was near the bubble that's where I saw them try but otherwise, it was uber beginner thinking of someone trying to win a tourn on the 1st hand.

There were a few folks trying and taking the freerolls serious and actually showed some effort playing but those were few and far between.

But what annoyed me was if you're really trying to play then I get they're going too far once they hit their Ace and get out kicked with top pair on an non scary board and I get that at that level, but a lot of the stuff was stupid.

No thought, no care.

I had to stop playing them. I played I think one on pstars mixed games afterwards and that was fine.

But im like, you folks go on without me, lol.

that's alternative, just stop and find other ways to go and deal with the nonsense.

I remember telling someone in one of those cardschat freeroll are you serious off some nonsense play of 25 raise and they were trying to play back at me when I had a monster on the flop and hadn't played a hand in like 30mins or something.

They float it thinking they can bluff me like a beginner thinking "aggression and pressure" not recognizing that spot and they raise and I shove over them.

They fold and the horrible hand and show.

And I'm like, are your serious? And they got mad, lol.

They're like I'm a $10000 or $100 000 player or something and I'm like and you can't see what that spot is? You're kidding right? It was silly.

Looking back, I guess they were so into using a HUD that they couldn't see that spot I mean, just awful.

They're dependent on that stuff but I can rant about that for an even longer post lol.

Anyway back to the topic, you're going to run into those players regardless lol.

Where some folks look at a youtube vid and they say aggression wins or some nonsense but their record is like 100 + losses without a min cash and a streak of 2 min cashes with a few wins here and there and they're losing players that keep going with the same mantra lol.

I mean if something doesn't work even if some guru tells you something then stop it, lol.

Then you have the folks that read 50 poker books but never studied one, lol.

OOH wow. I can rant on this all day long, lol.

LOL Anton, you're not alone but forget about the cardschat freerolls, you're going to find that type of player EVERYWHERE. From freerolls to sitting at WSOP live tourns in the US at the biggest tourns in the world!!

So focus on playing them and develop a style that lets you deal with those type of players profitably without raising your blood pressure!! lol

GL

End of rant, lol.

Last edited:
Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Oh yah! I HATE it when other players play badly. I just hate bad players period! Giving me their chips with very little effort on my part... it just makes the game so boring & frustrating! I want to grind out small edges when I'm duking it out in a freeroll!

IMO There's enough decent players in these to make it an interesting & fun game. Sure there's some total donkeys too but just need to navigate through them.

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Really hope you're joking, lol
nope. 100% serious.

my jam / call jam range in freerolls is: 1010+, a10 suited+, ak off, kq suited.

it's still a pretty tight range but, during the all-in craziness, I am willing play a high variance zero risk / maximum reward strategy. the biggest difference between my 5% range vs the 100% range of my opponent's is that I give myself an equity edge.

best case scenario, everyone is all I preflop and I have a hand in my range. vs 7 players who jam 100% of their range, I still have 25% equity to win. so, on average, 1/4 times I win an 800+ bb pot.

for me, it's not about being better than other players in a freeroll. honestly, I know I'm probably one of the worst players. knowing the high variance of freerolls, high variance of large fields, and difficulty of cashing in locked pay structures (as some freerolls are), then playing a high variance, no risk / max reward strategy, for me to run deep, is an easy decision.

this is just how I approach the early, crazy stages freerolls. is it a good strategy? I don't know. does it matter? not really. if you prefer to do things differently, that's great. much respect to your strategy.

Last edited:
R

rachelle2291

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When you go all in that is the opposite of boring, that is exciting

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
But there was a player who scored 9 and 2
it's going to happen sometimes.

poker isn't about winning individual hands. it's about getting your money / stack in +ev spots and making better decisions / less mistakes than your opponents. results don't matter as much as your decisions do.

Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips

Couple of things, as stated above, free roll or buy in players are free to play anyway they see fit, your task basically to try & identify how that is & respond. You receive;
#1- Permission to participate in the platinum free rolls.
#2- A sore shoulder, you did after all just get whacked with a hammer. What you did not, among other things receive is more poker ability, the ability to compel your opponents to play according to your wishes, or the ability to understand how people tend to play after casually observing one game.
Enjoy, watch, take notes, try things, get better at poker & maybe even make a few $. Membership gives you an opportunity, not a key to the vault.

pentazepam

pentazepam

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
SE
Chips
I have said it 100 times at least on this forum: YOU WANT TO PLAY AGAINST TOTAL IDIOTS.

It's not so much how good you are, it's how many mistakes the other players make.

If you want to play against good players play 100NL and up.

If you don't have the money start at the lowest level 2NL or 1 dollar MTTs.

Freerolls are NOT for learning to play optimal poker. They are a fun extra bonus that CC is kind enough to arrange.

A

a1232

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
IE
Chips
As others have said, this should be a best case scenario for you...

Leandro6803

Leandro6803

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
it's common to see this type of recreational player at all buy-in levels from freerolls to the hi-stack.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
there is nothing wrong with getting it in pre with ak for 100+ bbs in a freeroll.
Making a ridiculously large oversized raise is not the most elegant thing in the world. But I have recently seen someone ship AK for 75BB over a standard 3BB raise and get snap called by AT. And the real donkey in that hand was the guy calling off his entire stack with AT, whereas the guy with AK got maximum value and actually made a good play, if he had some sort of read or history with the opponent. This by the way was not a freeroll but a $5 SnG.